“Beautiful hotel”
Review of ITC Sonar

ITC Sonar
Ranked #4 of 221 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Nottingham, United Kingdom
“Beautiful hotel”
Reviewed 22 July 2014

Excellent hotel with lovely fish ponds (& you can feed the fish!). They place scented sticks along the doors etc which help create a lovely relaxing atmosphere. Rooms are very good and the staff excellent and really helpful, no task is too small.

This can be a busy hotel with weddings, fashion shows and conferences taking place but nothing to detract from a good stay - in fact it's nice to see. There's not very much around to walk to but there are several large malls a car ride away as is Kolkata (worth a visit to Mother Theresa's house and the kali temple).

The business lounge isn't particularly well organised especially when the main manager isn't there, lack of staff, snacks, service is quite frustrating at times. So this could better. There is a good selection of different foods available for breakfast in one of the restaurants.

There are about 5 restaurants within he hotel and one of our favourites is Pan Asia, which serves different Cuisines (eg Chinese, Thai, Mongolian, Asian, Japanese etc). There is also a nice spa and a gym section (although we didn't visit the gym).

I can't remember all the staffs names but they are all special and so helpful (even trying to help me to learn Hindi!). Special mentions go to the guest relations girls who made my stay so welcoming and taught me how to drape my saries (Sonia, Kunju, Namita, Mary). Also thank you to the Pan Asia manager (at that time) Anurud - such a lovely young man.

We always prefer to stay at this hotel when in Kolkata, and look forward to our next visit :-)

Room Tip: Don't have a room with a connecting door as you can hear people next door (and if there are chil...
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank Fran B
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to learn that you had a comfortable and pleasant stay at the hotel and thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor.

Being “rooted to the soil”, ITC Sonar pays tribute to the beauty of Bengal through its unique landscapes and is a quintessential Baganbari (farmhouses owned by Zamindars or feudal landowners of yore).

Hope ITC Sonar remains your preferred destination in all your future visits.

ITC Sonar, Kolkata

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (454)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Pune
Reviewed 20 July 2014 via mobile

Now being from the city itself, I never had the need of staying at ITC Sonar. I been to the hotel twice, and this time around, I stayed there. The first thing you notice about Sonar is the astonishing spread of the hotel, right in a prime place, something very few hotels can boast of in Kolkata. Though the approach road to the hotel surely is a sore eye, it all changes the moment you're inside the compound and greeted in the famous ITC style. The welcoming 'Namoshkar' by the gentleman clad in traditional Bengali Dhuti-Panjabi is something I find very genuine. After all how many of us are used to see a traditional Bengali attire these days, anyways.
The hotel's lobby is splendid, the staff excels in their role. The check-in process is swift and a Bengali guest like me can easily pick-up the low toned chatter of the staff at the reception. Nice!
I requested for a smoking room and the walk to the room was really really long. However, you get a glimpse of the spread of the hotel, it's restaurants and coffee shops while walking down. Everything in Sonar exudes luxury and that's what's most important. From my earlier visit to the hotel, I can vouch for the food. It's just the best. The spread is quite a task to manage. The staff efficient and attentive to the core.
I find the room I stayed elegant, with everything exceeding your expectations. The house keeping and laundry does a great job and are quick. I always have loved ITC's Aqua range of toiletries and it's just beyond soothing. The hotel concierge is quick in terms of getting locals cabs, in case you insist on travelling in one and saving bucks.
Overall, though I stayed for a night, I surely can state Sonar as one of the most luxurious property you can come across. I will surely come back to the hotel.

Stayed June 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank ShekharDC
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. We are delighted to note that you had a wonderful experience at ITC Sonar.

Epitomizing the beauty of Bengal, ITC Sonar offers a resort -like feel to a luxury business hotel in the midst of a busy city.

Your kind words of appreciation and recommendation are deeply valued.

We look forward to welcoming you back and hope ITC Sonar remains your preferred destination of stay in all your future visits.

Warmest regards,
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
Reviewed 20 July 2014

ITC sonar kolkata peshaware food is best in class. Service given by staff is excellent kindly visit.
i went along with my friends and have a quality time the ambiouns was also very charming . i would like to express my special thanks to all the staff present at that point of time.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Guest,

We are delighted to know you enjoyed your visit to Peshawri and thank you for sharing your experience with us on Trip Advisor.

We do hope you will return to Peshawri, one of our five award winning food and beverage outlets, to have an opportunity to try more specialties of the North-West Frontier cuisine.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 19 July 2014 via mobile

A nice warm hotel starting right from the lobby area to the service quality as well as the great food that is served here. The round the clock laundry service is of immense help. Excellent service staff who find ways to take care of your needs

Would recommend the hotel to anyone traveling into Kolkata

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for your feedback on Trip Advisor, we are delighted to learn that you had a pleasant stay.

Built as a business resort, ITC Sonar pays tribute to the beauty of Bengal. We deeply appreciate your recommendation on our food, services and laundry.

Your patronage is deeply valued and we look forward to welcoming you back.

Bangalore District, India
Reviewed 19 July 2014

I stay almost every week at this hotel. Its a wonderful experience to be pampered by the complete Hotel Staff. From the entrance onwards you get a personalised treatment by all. A quick check in, your choice of room, Great Food, Great ambiance and above all the smiling friendly faces will make your stay memorable.

Room Tip: Given a choice choose rooms in the tower- has a good view into the hotel.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. In keeping with ITC Hotels' philosophy of 'being rooted to the soil' and creating indigenous experiences, ITC Sonar, Kolkata pays tribute to the beauty of Bengal.

Thank you once more for your recommendation. Hope you to welcome you back soon.

Chennai (Madras), India
Reviewed 18 July 2014

My wife & I had a wonderful experience at the hotel during our short stay. The staff were extremely friendly, curteous, well informed & very helpful. While on the subject, we would like to express our special appreciation of the hospitality shown by Ms Manali Banerjee who went out of her way to see to our comfort, well being and entertainment. Once again thanking all the staff for making our stay so wonderful & memorable.
alok mukherji
alokukherji@gmail.com

Room Tip: Rooms overlooking the lilly pool
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear Guest,

Built as a business resort, ITC Sonar pays tribute to the beauty of Bengal. We deeply appreciate your recommendation on our services, staff and your kind words were shared with Manali, to whom it was highly inspiring.

Thank you for your recommendation and hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

I had a short one night stay at the ITC sonar at Kolkatta. Being a business trip and a short one at that it was paramount that I get a good comfortable sleep after a long late evening flight . Had even called the hotel earlier to check on the kind of room and of they were allocating a double / king bed. They had said yes . When I got in to the hotel found the room to have a double bed and felt assured and went for dinner at dum pukht for my dinner . The restaurant didn't disappoint and the food was great . It was on my return to the room and finally when I lay down on the bed that disappointment happened .

It was clearly on of the worst beds I had slept on in any hotel .. I could feel the patterns on the mattress on my back in a very rough way .. The bed was hard and the worst thing was they had joined two single mattresses which were of different heights leaving an extremely irritating and uncomfortable groove in the middle of the bed .. I struggled to sleep all night but since it was post midnight and had an early meeting decided to rough it out . Now comes the worst part .. At the check out the lady at the reception ritualistically asked me how was my stay to which I replied " very uncomfortable and was the worst bed I ever slept on " ... Her response verbatim " oh ... Here is your bill sir "... And that's it !! That's it !!

I paid feeling a complete lack of hospitality and warmth at this cold hotel and with a firm belief of never to return .. My Itc club and Starwood preferred guest loyalty can take a walk !!

Stayed July 2014
Dear Guest,

Thank you for sharing your feedback on Trip Advisor. It is evident from your comment that we did not live up to your expectations. The areas highlighted have my immediate attention, so that such discrepancies do not occur in services.

We appreciate your comment on Dum Pukht, our signature restaurant which offers “The Grand Cuisine of India”.

Hope you would visit us soon; look forward to welcome you back.

ITC Sonar