“One of the best hotels anywhere”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of The Oberoi Grand

The Oberoi Grand
Ranked #1 of 218 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Asia
“One of the best hotels anywhere”
Reviewed 2 July 2011

Even though I was spending only an overnight, I decided I had to stay in the Oberoi. After all, it was on one of TripAdvisor's top 25 list.

I did not have time to experience the full extent of their service. In fact, when I checked in late that evening and told the reception that I had to catch an 8 am flight, they looked disappointed. That was a good start--that they want their guests to experience their full service.

Check-in was surprisingly bureaucratic. I had asked for a pick up from the airport. It would have been trivial for the driver to signal the hotel and for the formalities to be ready. And at the hour I arrived, I was the only guest checking in. I had to move from one counter to another to get the full formalities done.

At the end of it, I was given an Oberoi card. Another good sign because it said--this hotel is so good you will want to be back.

The room was a bit of a walk from the reception. It was quiet. It was squarish, which doesn't allow for maximum utility. There was wing chair but there was space only for one king bed.

The bathroom was surprisingly small but the square room meant that its size was constrained.

Linen was of high quality. There were many nice touches like the luggage bench that had cushion on top but opened up to accommodate an open suitcase. (See photos.)

My only complaint would be that, like Kolkata the city, the hotel could do with a bit of sprucing up. The phones look yellowed and dirty. Which made me wonder about other parts of the hotel.

Service was impeccable. I asked for a wake up call and the operator asked me if I wanted a second call. That is thinking for the guest.

I had had a meal at the airport lounge and then onboard. But I had heard of the bekti fish and I ordered in-room dining (yes, I arrived that late). It came within 30 minutes and it was delicious. I recommend the one with the light mustard-curry sauce.

i ordered morning coffee and it came beautifully set up (see photo). There were even cookies.

There was a lapse here in that there is actually light continental breakfast at the reception from a before 6 am. There was juice, croissant and coffee from an espresso machine. Had I known, I would have come down 15 minutes earlier and had a reasonable continental breakfast.

Checkout was speedy. I appreciate not having to tip all the time. I gave a larger than normal tip, in appreciation of the high level of service. All the staff who had served me declined a personal tip. That is discipline.

One thing I wish the hotel would do is NOT to outsource the driver who does the pick up from the airport. It would not cost a lot to engage them full-time. I have hired on a long term basis drivers in India and the companies all outsource the drivers. The pick up was a glaring weak spot in service. At the airport, my driver wanted to wheel my luggage across mud and stone to the car. I had to tell him to stop and to carry my suitcase, which he did. And for his service, I tipped him of course. As the pick up and send-off are the start and end of the guest's experience, I think it is critical that Oberoi controls this too. I know that drivers would be pleased to have a permanent job. And the pay does not have to be higher--just feed them at the hotel. Having lived in India and worked with drivers, I know that this will be win-win. To ensure quality, I would say that perhaps Oberoi could start with a few permanent drivers.

Overall, it was a wonderful experience at Oberoi. The rate is somewhat stiff and the hotel is a slight distance from the airport--it took 45 minutes on the way in but only 30 minutes on the way out. But I have no regrets. Given the opportunity to be back in Kolkata, I would try to stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, 31 July 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at The Oberoi Grand Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor.

The Oberoi Grand is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts the old world charm and the Victorian culture.

Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest. The hotel is located next to the famous “New Market” of Kolkata. It is a preferred hotel of both our leisure and business travelers as it is located in the business hub of Kolkata.

We are grateful for your appreciation of the services provided by the team. Your words of appreciation shall go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of service to our valued guests. Our Chef will be pleased to receive your feedback.

Thank you for having stayed with us and we look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to The Oberoi Grand and Kolkata.

General Manager, The Oberoi Grand

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (504)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
Guangzhou, China
Reviewed 29 June 2011

We had stayed with Oberoi in 2010. The infrastructure was alright, I would have expected something grander from Oberoi. They took forever to do the checkin formalities despite us having a prior reservation. The rooms were just about alright.. again not meeting my expectations from Oberoi. The best part of the stay was food. The food was absolutely smashing. The buffet breakfast spread was very lavish and the food was delicious.

The pool side was a good sight and very aesthetically done. The staff was a mix breed - some of them were very hospitable and some were very very aloof. The room service too was not the nicest.. other not so big names are at most times more prompt with their services.

It might be a good business hotel, it is certainly not a family vacation place. I have also stayed with ITC Sonar Bangla and the experience there was mind blowing. When I compare its services to ITC, this one does not really stand anywhere.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, 3 July 2011
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

The hotel is referred to as the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” and as you may know is the oldest grand hotel of the city which dates back to the 18th century. Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest.

I have noted that your experience with the check in was not up to your expectation and have shared your feedback with our team. I can assure you that required corrective action has been taken in this regard and we invite you on your return visit to experience this.

Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 29 June 2011

The Oberoi Grand has to be the most spectacular hotel in Kolkata, given its excellent city location. The moment you step inside the hotel, you feel like you are in a different world altogether.

The lobby in beaming with chandeliers and friendly smiling staff. The check in process is extremely efficient and smooth, I was ushered to my room, a Junior Suite and offered a welcome drink before sitting on the lounge to fill the forms and complete formalities.

The rooms have a very royal touch, and remind you of the British era. Very tastefully decorated, including money plant grown inside the rooms and rose petals in the bathroom. the amenities in the bathroom are mind blowing, you simply can't resist but indulge in taking extended baths in the tub.

The Thai food in the restaurant was authentic and delicious. The buffet breakfast is also good value for money.Nothing beats the convenience of going shopping, literally on the doorstep.

A must for any traveller visiting Kolkata, to at least view the hotel from outside if they can't stay there.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

Our pool side rooms have a great view of the swimming pool which has often been termed as an “oasis” by most of the guest. Our Thai restaurant has been awarded as the best specialty restaurant of the city.The hotel is located next to the famous “New Market” of Kolkata. It is a preferred hotel of both our leisure and business travelers as it is located in the business hub of Kolkata.

sydney
Reviewed 24 June 2011

The building is really beautiful, such history. But I just came from the Taj and relative to that the lack of service was really noticeable. Just the little annoying things like taking forever to check in and out. Why does it take so long??? Why is an espresso such a hard thing to make? The pool is really lovely. Would be good to spend the day there. Suspect this is the best place in kolkota.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

The Oberoi Grand is called the “Grand Dame of Kolkata” which depicts the old world charm and the Victorian culture which dates back to the 18th century. The hotel is located next to the famous “New Market” of Kolkata. It is a preferred hotel of both our leisure and business travelers as it is located in the business hub of Kolkata.

I have noted your feedback regarding the check in time and espresso and the has been shared with our team in order to improve the service standards further. Be rest assured that the corrective actions have been taken.

Reviewed 18 June 2011

I stay here on business. Very polite staff and good restaurants. Good gym and great pool. Location ok. A reminder of how service should be.

• Stayed June 2011
GEOKOL, General Manager at The Oberoi Grand, responded to this review, 24 June 2011

Usa, Japan
Reviewed 15 June 2011

Have been returning to Oberoi Grand for over 30 years! It is simply the grandest hotel in town.

Location: Located right in new market area. You can walk everywhere from here and if you need to easily get a car/cab/bus if you need to go further. The museums and other such attractions are also walking distance. A short walk from the main upmarket street in town with the best restaurants and shopping. Basically, you will not feel marooned in some less than happening part of town.

Service: Typical Oberoi. The best. They remember your name and you'll constantly wonder how all the staff seem to remember your name! The food is great, though not as exciting as the street food which I personally love Kolkata for.

Room: Despite being in the middle of new market, the rooms are quiet. Old buildings have this benefit, though it is thoroughly modernized on the inside so don't expect something in need of refurbishment.

Spa: Best deep massage I ever got in India was at this Oberoi Spa. Also one of the most reasonably priced, considering it is at the Oberoi.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank theviraz
Dear Trip Advisor Member,

It has always been our utmost focus at The Oberoi Grand, Kolkata to provide our valued guests with personalized service that meets high standards of hospitality and it is motivation from discerning guests such as you which encourages us to give our best.

ireland
Reviewed 13 June 2011

I just spent three nights in this hotel and hated leaving. i have never experienced service like this. We were so well cared for. We stayed in a suite and we loved it. The room was beautiful, though the bathroom was small. The rates are very competitive at this time of the year. There is no tipping which is really interesting and a pleasant change. Guests can leave a gratuity on check out..

The h

Room Tip: A suite overlooking the pool is really nice.