“An island of civilization”
Review of Lytton Hotel

Lytton Hotel
Ranked #65 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Queanbeyan, Australia
“An island of civilization”
Reviewed 22 December 2011

On my arrival in Kolkata, I thought this hotel was a bit run down, did not like the noisy window air conditioner or the dark room, the filthy toilet in the restaurant or the floor wallahs hanging around waiting for tips. On my return after a month traveling in Jharkhand and Bihar, I thought this hotel was a haven of Western civilization! However there are cheaper and newer hotels just down the road which would also be cleaner. Sudder St is a convenient location and I walked to many tourist destinations but the beggars that live there and the hawkers for the New Market are confronting for a traveller on a first visit to India. The hotel was helpful with changing money and getting taxis. It has two computers for guests and Internet connection was fine. Room service was very good.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the street are noisy at night, but have lots of natural light from large windows and ba...
Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (36)
dhaka
Reviewed 5 December 2011

I had some problem in booking a hotel online, so I accepted the suggestion of a friend who told me that another friend of hers spent a few days at the Lytton and found it ok: up to European standard. I arrived and the check in was quick, fine, I was given a room with all I asked for (high floor, no smoking, big bed). I was given a room on the fourth floor, but the lift only reach the third, so you must consider it if you travel heavy or you have problems in climbing up stairs. I asked the guy who accompanied me to my room to get a card for the wi-fi connection. As the bedsheets did not look that clean I pulled down the blanquet and found a big stain in the middle of the bed, so I told the guy, who in the meantime had come back with the wi-fi card, to send someone from the house keeping to change the bed. It was done quickly. I went out and when I got back and prepared to go to bed, i rolled up the carpet next to the bed, as it looked a bit dusty... In the space between the bed and the side table the dirt was horrible and when I had a look under the bed I realised that it had not been cleaned for ages. As it was very late, I went to bed, not using the duvet that the cleaner pretended to have changed. When I left the room in the morning, a cleaner asked me if he had to clean up the room and I told him that he could do it after my breakfast. I asked him to clean under the bed because it was filthy. When I got back late in the afternoon, the same guy was waiting for me outside my room. He told me he had cleaned everything properly and that he was just about to finish his shift=he was asking for a tip that I gave him. Only after coming back late again I realised that he had not cleaned anything and that the dirt under the bed was still there! next to the dusty carpet I had removed the night before. Considering that the window air conditioner was very noisy and the buffet breakfast was very poor as for international food, I would not suggest anybody to go to this hotel. Another odd thing happened the second night I was there. As the taxi driver did not know exactly where the hotel was, though I told him the name and the address, we spent quite some time looking for it: all the light were off and you could not see the name of the hotel lit up as it usually happens...

Room Tip: Do not book a room in this hotel!
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank max4u

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Roorkee, India
Reviewed 22 November 2011

I stayed in this Hotel last week for 1 night. They charged me Rs. 5000. ( US$ 100. present rate ). I booked over phone and they said it was 3 Star. I doubt even if it is a single Star. The ambiance outside my room was terrible. It was worse than a lodge of Rs. 500. in Delhi Paharganj area. I feel cheated and looted.
There was a window AC in the room. Food was just OK. Breakfast was just OK.
I sent a mail to the Front Desk for my Ticket Printout and they said it never arrived.

Room Tip: Choose only if you are stranded in the middle of the night for the price they charged me
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
malaysia
Reviewed 22 November 2011

Stayed here for two nights in Kolkata. The room was spacious but old. It was located next to their service area near a back lane and it was quite noisy in the morning. The air con is the old window type so it is noisy.

Location is very convenient to New Market, eating places and the city center. We found the reception staff helpful.

All in all, it is a pretty old hotel. Apart from the convenience, I do not have much to report about it. If you are just looking for a decent stay for the night, it's ok.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with friends
Seattle
Reviewed 20 November 2011

Hotel Lindsay in conveniently located, fairly modern, comfortable, and overpriced (but then most lodging in Calcutta/Kolkata is overpriced). Doesn't have near the atmosphere of the nearby Fairlawn, but is far less quirky -- whether this an advantage of disadvantage depends on personal taste/tolerance. I tend to stay at the Fairlwan, and repair the the Lindsay only if the inimitable Fairlwan is booked up.

• Stayed December 2010, travelled as a couple
noida
Reviewed 10 November 2011

For my official tour to Kolkata I used to stay in Lytton hotel. It is near to the Howrah rail station and littler far from airport. The area is little bit croudey. You can enjoy the road side good quality cheep food.
For shopping this hotel is fantastic as it is located at Barobazar which is one of the main shopping area in Kolkata. You can also enjoy the Kolkata Underground metro rail.
Rooms are small size, but well maintained. Food quality at hotel not too goo, but ok.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Dehradun, India
Reviewed 24 October 2011

Lytton is a reliable facility . I have stayed here few times, One of the Old traditional building just next door to the Indian Meusium. Though the entrance is not imressive opening in the side lane , once inside the gates it reminds of the old grandeur. food and services are good and reliable. overall rooms are spacius and comfortable. Little overpriced, though generally you pay it if you have little nostalgic likings. people who just want to experience the old british calcutta ambience with lot of heritage buildings around, this is the place to stay.
Best thing about it is its location. one of the most centrally located palce for stay.
very relibale pick up service from Airprt at Rs 1000 with AC car.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business