“Insightful view into Old Kolkata”
Review of Walks of Kolkata

Walks of Kolkata
Ranked #6 of 40 Tours in Kolkata (Calcutta)
More attraction details
Owner description: Walks of Kolkata hopes to help people re-discover Kolkata – through walking tours and day trips for people from all parts of the world. We endeavor to show you the Kolkata, which is beyond what is found in the travel guides. But, instead, we try to show you the city from the lens of local people. We are all about building connections.We take you around the city , the way you want to explore it - by aircon vehicle or walking or a combination of both. You would enjoy the trip the local way and get to interact with the local people. We conduct Walking tours ,Kolkata Food tours, Full day and Half day city tours , Offbeat tours , Darjeeling , Gangtok and Sunderban tours.
Kathmandu, Nepal
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 19 helpful votes
“Insightful view into Old Kolkata”
Reviewed 1 July 2014

What a fabulous early morning walk this morning! Despite the floods of overnight monsoon rains, Jay picked me up at the hotel and with a little creativity, we were able to avoid much of the street flooding and still get to see the Ganges from Howrah Bridge and watch the day to day goings on of the the families who work and live on Mulik Ghat. Down a few steps and we were immersed in the Flower Market. What a pleasure for the senses! Glorious colours, fragrant perfumes and the hustle & bustle of a busy wholesale market where the city's flowers are sold daily. A definite treat, made more insightful by Jay's explanations of the significance of each flower and the local customs associated with it.

On we went to Nimtala burning ghat to see first hand, the process around the cremation of a loved one. Unfortunately Swati's father had passed away 2 months prior so the memory of his cremation at Nimtala was fresh in Jay's mind. This added a human touch to walk, something Jay readily gave of himself.

I would more than recommend touring with Walks of Kolkata - walking the streets is where it is at, and nothing beats having a local person take you through a city he clearly is passionate about, and tell you the little known tidbits that make for a fascinating tour.

Swati and Jay are prompt in their responses and flexible in the itinerary, especially when mother nature (monsoon floods!) has a hand in things. I was surprised to experience such dedication given Swati gave birth to a baby girl only one week ago! Congrats to them both.

Visited July 2014

Bangkok, Thailand
“perfect time”
Reviewed 22 April 2014

nice services, nice guide staff, it perfect time to join with them (Swati and Jay). it so good for booking program more than one !

Visited February 2014

New Delhi, India
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Personal Walk”
Reviewed 30 January 2014

Found Walks of Kolkata on the net and went to them without any reference. Firstly I was very impressed with their email response that i got in reply to my query that i had sent them on their website. Not only was the reply immediate, it was warm and very thorough. I then spoke to Swati from WoK and she sounded very friendly and reassuring. I fixed a walk with them. It was a personal walk. I was informed about the fees very clearly.

Jay arrived to pick me up on the dot of time. And we set off. It was an absolute pleasure to walk with Jay. He is easy to chat with and friendly without being intrusive. In fact it felt like walking with a friend. The pace was easy and as per my convenience. We lingered longer than we were supposed to as I was shooting - but Jay was very patient. Also - one felt very safe with Jay. We improvised as we went along - had nariyal paani, chai several times, hopped onto a local bus. So a very authentic and fun walk.

I had planned another walk with them for the next morning but unfortunately could not make it. I have already recommended Walks of Kolkata to other friends who have also done the walk with them and have been very happy. I strongly recommend Jay & Walks of Kolkata to all those who are thinking of doing a walk there.

Visited November 2013

1 Thank kavitacd
Poughkeepsie, New York
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Best way to see the city!”
Reviewed 25 January 2014

We found Walks of Kolkata by chance, and we were so lucky. The first walk we took with Jay involved 8 of us and 4 children. I appreciated his quick response when my son got sick. Jay was very informative and extremely willing to answer questions. What we appreciated was how quickly he tailored the trip to our interests and our people. We were so impressed that my husband and I requested a specialized tour of the cemeteries. This was also a memorable experience. We go to Kolkata every other year, and WOK will be a necessary part of our trip. It's truly a special way to see the city.

Visited December 2013

1 Thank Mita C
Kolkata (Calcutta), India
“Walks of Kolkata customized a great tour for us that checked all the boxes.”
Reviewed 10 January 2014

We're from Canada. This is our 5th trip to India (total 8 months in all). We travel on our own countrywide and occasionally use local tour companies and guides when we want to maximize our time and see as much as possible. Walks of Kolkata listened to what we wanted and put together a great itinerary that included everything on our bucket list and more. Our guide Jay Saraogi is fluent in English, and his passion for Kolkata was evident as he introduced us to the sites and culture of this vibrating city. We had lots of time to take photos and explore without feeling rushed - and at the same time covered a lot of territory on our tour. Jay even went out of his way to help us solve a problem we had unrelated to the tour. We can't thank him enough for being such a caring person. We highly recommend Jay and Walks of Kolkata.

Russ and Marlene