“Exorbitantly high-priced ordinary food”
Review of Saffron

Saffron
Ranked #90 of 4,242 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Cuisines: Indian
Good for: Local cuisine
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Infusing the flavours of indigenous Indian cuisine with modern ingredients, Saffron is the harmonious blend of the east and the west - a modern pan Indian restaurant with a tastefully cosmic ambient decor
Reviewed 16 April 2014

Being a 'Preferred Member' of The Park, I usually visit their continental 24-hour coffee shop 'The Breeze'. Only once did we visit 'Saffron' for an informal get-together of few special family friends in 2011, soon after the historic win of TMC in WB Assembly Polls, ending the Red regime of more than three decades. In March 2014 I decided to take my family out for a Sunday lunch at 'Saffron'. All these days I had been informed by 'The Park' about the new décor & look of the restaurant. We were curious. Lo and behold! Where is the change? It wears the same look as it was in 2011! Staff were very warm. As the name suggests, they serve only north-Indian cuisine. We ordered for their special polau, betki paturi, chingri malaikari, one chicken dish (I forgot what) and nalen-gurer ice-cream. Polau was brilliant in taste. Chingri malaikari and chicken dish were also good. But the spoiler was betki paturi. We spoke to the staff and suggested not to put gandhoraj lebu to any paturi. A paturi should bear the strong smell of mustard paste and gandhorah lebu being another ingredient to add strong smell of a different kind when mixed with the smell of mustard paste can give a very unpleasant taste. Price is exorbitantly high when compared to other restaurants in the city offering authentic Bengali / north-Indian cuisine.

I shall never recommend this to anyone, except those who have a fancy for restaurants of 5-star hotels just to show-off to friends / relatives / neighbours!

4  Thank AnindyaSinha

Reviewed 20 March 2014

The staff at Saffron were by far the most helpful, friendly & polite I encountered in Kolkata, offering advice on the menu and making some excellent suggestions.

I had a vegetable starter - cauliflower & broccoli with different spices, followed by the veg biryani & my favourite - January ice cream which was out of this world !

Quite pricy but worth it. Meal with a g&t was approx £30-£35.

PramodeB, General Manager at Saffron, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

We are delighted that you had a great dining experience at Saffron our Indian restaurant.

Thank you for your kind words. We sincerely await the opportunity to welcome you once again.

Regards,

Reviewed 16 March 2014

We enjoyed the food and the service very much.

Clean restaurant, polite & friendly service, delicious Indian food... I found the wines were a little expensive. It was about $20 for a glass! (Very expensive even by western standards)... I guess food was reasonably priced.
We ordered: One appetizer (Dahi Kebab), two mains, two ice creams, two water bottles, naan, steamed rice & a glass of wine. The total was USD $81 (just over 5000 rupees).

The food was nice and the service was great so it was definitely worth it – maybe I will skip the wine next time though!

Reviewed 27 January 2014

I had the house specialty yellow lentils, Naan w/ Marsala & cheese, Broccoli kebab.. All wonderful including the Herb sauce condiment.   Indian cuisine presented with sophistication and elegance.   Service was friendly, attentive, and helpful.  Worth the extra expense to try at least once!

PramodeB, General Manager at Saffron, responded to this reviewResponded 17 February 2014

Thank you very much for sharing your feedback with us. We are delighted to know that you liked the food at Saffron.

We look forward to your next visit to Saffron!

Best Regards,

Reviewed 17 January 2014

I had been to this place earlier being someone's guest & also this time on my own, The food is remarkable & also the people. This place had never let me down in terms of my great experiences...thanks a ton...

We look forward to your next visit to Saffron!

Best Regards,