“Unreliable, it depends on luck”
Review of The Lindsay

The Lindsay
Ranked #43 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 5 February 2014

My experience was not positive. I was traveling alone and thought this was a good selection based on the pictures they show on internet.
As you can see from the pictures I took this hotel has different types of rooms. They gave me one room that has nothing to do with the pictures they post. The hotel has different types floors, they just show the rebuil ones, and if you are not aware of this situation they will send you to the oldest dirty rooms they have, which I find not fair.
When I complain to my travel agent, they offer me to move to another room, I thought it was going to be a better one but no, it was the room from the pictures. Then at 9pm they called me again and say now they were giving me a nice room, my question is if they are offering now a nice room, is because they knew I was in a bad one.

The staff was polite but not very helpfull.

The breakfast was average.

I think they need to work more on quality standards, because if you have good luck you can get one nice clean room, but if not, as in my case, you can get one of the back yard rooms. And is not about the price, I saw the pictures on internet and paid the rate they ask, but for a nice room which I didn´t get..
For me it´s was a stressfull experience, I didnt want to continue complaining so decided to move to another hotel the next day.

Room Tip: Make sure they will give you a rebuilt room located a least a couple of floors below the restaurant...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank Martha S
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 14 February 2014

Dear Guest,

At the outset I would like to thank you for staying with us.

I had seen your review on the TripAdvisor and felt very disheartened that you had a stressful experience. I have since then gone into the depth of the matter and found that there was a miss-communication from the travel agent who had made your reservation. The category of room booked was a standard one which are not renovated nor displayed on the online portals and generally not allocated to guest on our own but on specific request from the guest, as was in your case from the travel agent.

Nevertheless I sincerely apologize for the inconvenience you faced during your stay.

I have shared your feedback with the team and assure you that this was an isolated incident and not our practice. Hence i request you to not let this mar your impression of the overall services at The Lindsay.

All of us eagerly look forward to your valued Clientele in future. I sincerely hope you will give us another opportunity of serving your to showcase ourselves in better as our MOTTO is " My Best For The Guest".

Reviewed 29 January 2014

As a female traveling to Kolkata alone to do some research, I was looking for a hotel where I could feel safe and be able to some work during my stay. Hotel Lindsay had both, room was comfortable, big and nice and they had wifi, breakfast, newspapers at the door in the morning and a great location. To access the wifi you needed an indian telephonenumber to verify every 24 hours -- if you don't have it they'll help you at the reception. The hotel staff was very nice and helpful in every way. Would stay here again the next time I'm on Kolkata.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 31 January 2014

Dear Guest,

It was a pleasure to have you stay at Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata recently. Thank you for taking the time to review us TripAdvisor.

Our endeavor is to ensure that you and every guest are made to feel special and i am glade to note that you had an enjoyable stay and i will certainly pass on your kind words of appreciation about your wonderful experience you had to my entire team which will go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of services.

The Hotel Lindsay location and proximity to the business houses, Government offices, Heritage land marks and shopping malls makes it ideal choice for corporate as well as leisure travelers even though the journey from the Airport to the hotel may take a while.

We look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Lindsay and Kolkata.

Reviewed 2 January 2014

My yet another stay at Hotel Lindsay during a family trip did not disappoint me. Impressive ambience, large, spacious and well maintained rooms supported by wonderful service and great food. Right from the friendly reception to the polite doorman and the concerned liftman- you are sure to experience courtesy at every step. The location too is enviable- it’s bang in the middle of the New Market area, strategically placed near taxis, rickshaws and the metro. Highly recommended for both business and family travellers.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 4 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Compliments of the season !!!

We do very much value the feedback of our guest and we appreciate your feedback about Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata on TripAdvisor.

At Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata our endeavor is to offer excellent accommodation, food and prompt and personalized service to our guest. I will certainly pass on your kind words of appreciation about your wonderful experience you had during your stay to my entire team which will go a long way to motivate them to continue to deliver a high level of services.

My team and i feel privileged that you have considered writing this review and look forward to the opportunity of welcoming you back to Hotel Lindsay and Kolkata.

Reviewed 15 December 2013

It was my business trip to Kolkata. This is one of the best location in Kolkata, heart of the town with heritage New-market in the front.
Staffs are help full. Nice roof restro. Grt rooms.

grt ambiance

Room Tip: Any room, all the rooms are good
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,

It was the pleasure to have you stay recently at Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata. Thank you for taking time to review us on TripAdvisor.

It was a great pleasure to read how much you enjoy your stay and that we were able to satisfy your needs. I would be delighted to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Benedict Phillips,

Reviewed 14 December 2013

I don't know why but I wasn't expecting much at first, I had just left another hotel in Kolkata, the plush but highly overpriced 'Floatel' and I heard this one was in the backpacker area. My cab nearly missed the small entrance. I had to walk through a metal detector screen where there were also 2 guards (wow, talk about paranoid, okay maybe they just want their guests to feel safe, and that's fine).

Check in was lengthy. The usual form filling in, plus having to wait around for a key card to be made/sorted. - A drink of orange was offered though, so that was nice!

My room was on the 6th floor. Inside, everything looked okay, very Clean, no smell of smoke despite there being ashtrays in the room. I liked the desk - it was big enough for the LCD TV, my laptop, a drink and few snacks. A backless chair for it too. Other amenities included a Fridge, small safe and a 2 seater settee.

The only disapointment was The mattresses, they were were really thin, that surprised me a bit given the quality feel in the room.

Bed linen was changed daily, no problems with housekeeping.

Bathroom was fine, ample toiletries were provided, including comb, hygiene bag, that kind of thing.

I was recovering from an illness whilst staying here (my illness had nothing to do with the hotel I might add) so didn't try any solid food, Loved the 'mocktails' though served in the bar, prices were okay too.

There was no rooftop restaurant/bar, I think it was under going renovations?

Staff were always helpful, they translated when I needed a doctor who gave me medicine with lots of instructions, they also brought me extra bottled water.

WiFi was hit and miss, Someone from reception had to help twice with registration, despite the signal always being strong, more often than not, no connection. It was free though :)

Overall I think when I go back to Kolkata next year, Hotel Lindsay will get another visit from me, a good hotel at a reasonable price and the surrounding area isn't bad either.

Room Tip: Didn't noticed any street noise on the 6th floor if that helps.. and there are 8-9 floors.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank spud-UK
Hotellindsay123, Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Reviewed 1 December 2013

It was a nice stay. Staffs were all courteous and helping. However, a little improvement in meal is desired. I would like to stay with you again and again. It was all hassle free. Display board of Hotel should be prominently visible. Locating your hotel is a little bit difficult. If possible do something here.

Room Tip: Any one. All are equally well.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
Hotellindsay123, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 11 December 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking your time to write this nice review about Hotel Lindsay, Kolkata on TripAdvisor. I am happy that you enjoyed your stay with us, especially for mentioning our great customer service. We have already started working on your suggestion regarding making the Hotel display board more prominent and hopefully you will see the change during your next visit.

We wish you a joyful Christmas season.

Reviewed 28 November 2013

Our stay at this hotel was outstanding, we have enjoyed a lot. Good co-operative nature staffs/Managers. Though my father was staying here since 1995, he advice me too stay in this hotel. THis hotel is in the heart of Kolkata which is very near to Victoria Memorial. Birla Planetarium , Market places , Indian Museum etc. Hope i have a program this december for kolkata, will always love to stay here again.

Room Tip: Every room have a good view so just go on and have a pleasant stay.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
hotellindsay_123456, General Manager at The Lindsay, responded to this reviewResponded 30 November 2013

Dear Guest,

I am happy that you and your family enjoyed your stay with us, especially for mentioning our great customer services. We strongly believe in fulfilling our motto ''MY BEST FOR THE GUEST''

We look forward to welcoming you soon.

Best Wishes,