“Comfortable within budget.”
Review of Astoria Hotel

Astoria Hotel
Ranked #173 of 229 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 15 April 2014

We were taken to this hotel by the local guide as our preference was for a clean place but in the heart of the city. The entrance gate was very common and the reception in the old building was a normal one. But ones we entered the new wing to go to our room, it was completely a different experience. They have a large reception desk in the new building and the floor corridor was superb. The rooms are very clean and tidy. We had complimentary breakfast and it was a good spread with fresh fruits etc. We were thankful to the guide who took us to this hotel and also to the Hotel for the comfortable and pleasant stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends

Reviewed 1 April 2014 via mobile

This hotel is not far from Howrath rail station. If you have, like me and wife, to travel quite early in the morning, the location is very good: 15 minutes by taxi (as of 6.30 am).

Corridors are shiny clean to perfection, the rooms are clean too. But, because the night was quite chilly we need to cover ourselves with some additional duvet that we took from one of the wardrobes. It was quite dirty and disgusting. We just ended up sleeping under our own sarongs :)

The hotel staff was friendly and welcoming. They had arrange the taxi on time and promptly got us in. We did not manage to get a breakfast, so no opinion here.

Definitely recommended as a transfer hotel (airport to train station, as in our case). I'm sure the dirty duvet problem would be sorted out quickly as the staff is really helpful and kind. But for us it was much too late into the night (3am) to do so.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Just came back from an official trip from Calcutta. The hotel i was for was booked was a little far from the center point of the city, so i choose to find another hotel for myself and found this Astoria hotel as a good place just next to the market place and in a very convenient location from traveling point of view. The hotel has 2 buildings-old and new. i stayed in the new wing and the rooms are very neat and clean, the window is soundproof so you do not have to worry about the street noise. The room-servicing is done everyday. The food is good. The staffs are also very helpful.
Overall a good hotel with reasonable price.

Room Tip: Choose rooms in the new wing.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 15 January 2014

We happened to stay at Astoria Hotel for five days in Jan 2014; the reception area in the old building was old and narrow and puts off the guest. But the rooms in the new block were well appointed with clean linen, towels and good bathrooms. The rooms have AC, TV, Fridge, Coffee maker and enough number of electric points. There was free wifi; but signal in the rooms was weak; one could do internet in the lobby as well as at a internet cafe next door. The staff was courteous and helpful. The place is centrally located as a number of good restaurants on Park St, Free School St are nearby. The in-house restaurant was also good. The metro station was only 10 min walk; there was a taxi stand right at the entrance where one could get cabs 24 hrs. Value for money for those who are contented with a clean room and toilet but without frills like swimming pool, Gym, bar etc.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank csjacob
Reviewed 13 January 2014

Nice clean room. I was upgraded from standard single room to deluxe room without any extra charge, which was good. Bathroom was clean. Though pillow covers and towel should be fresh. I used my own towel. Staff was courteous and helpful. Breakfast was good.

Room Tip: Change clean bed sheets, pillow covers and towel every time.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Ajay K
Reviewed 13 December 2013

This is the first hotel that I have only negative things to say. If you happen to read my previous reviews, you will see that I mostly have good things to say for the hotels I have stayed in.Not this one!
I needed to find a budget to mid-range hotel in Kolkata in a pinch. None of the hotels that I knew of, or was recommended by friends, had rooms. This hotel had about the same number of good and bad reviews and so I thought that maybe its a decent hotel and so made the booking.

Bad Decision

"Its your mistake"
"We don't have time for that now"
"We don't provide that"

These are few of the statements I got from the front desk and staff. Right after checkin we heard a very loud argument breaking out at the front desk (we were on second floor). The person stationed at the front desk was abusing someone at the top of his voice. Since I happen to know that language I got most of what was being said. Those words would have put the most bad-mouthed sailor to shame.
And it only got worse from there...
The sheets were dusty. When we asked for a change, we were told the sheets are being washed right now and will be provided a change in the evening. After dinner when we came back and asked for a change of sheets, a staff came in and just handed me the sheets. When I asked him to change the sheets, he said "we don't have time for that now" and went away. A couple of calls to the front desk made that staff to come back and do the honors but even then the negative attitude was perceptible.
The rooms that we were put up in had paint coming off the walls. 2 of the electrical outlets in the most convenient locations were not working so I had to unplug a floor lamp to charge my mobile.
The bathrooms were OK, but didn't have separate wet and dry areas and the fixtures seemed worn.
They had notice put up on the room that said you couldn't bring outside food.
They have wifi only in the lobby and breakfast areas, so you don't get wifi in your room.
Breakfast was not so good either. When I asked for scrambled eggs, they said they can only make an omelette.
The only good thing about this hotel was its location.

Long story short, stay away if you can. You will find much better hotels in the similar price range in the vicinity.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
3  Thank Asansol_Traveller
Reviewed 3 December 2013 via mobile

This hotel and redeemed my faith in travelling. Our first night on sudder street was spent in a budget guest house and it was not a good time! Here we have free wifi, exceptional service and a deep sense of security! It cost a little bit more than your budget guest house but in this neighbourhood it is well worth the money! 5 stars is not enough!

Stayed: December 2013