I din't know much about Kolkota before I reached there. Actually there are many good hotels near the US consulate. I had an interview on 23rd June 2011 at US consulate.)
I had made the booking in Hotel Aston for 23rd June 2011 from makemytrip.com by paying full money.
About the Hotel:
1)The hotel room is really made by making some adjustments to the passage. Open the window and stretch your arm , you can touch the taxi's and cars parked on the road.
2) The hotel refused to give me room even after full payment is made as they had some payment issue with makemytrip.com. So I had to make an extra payment as I had no option at 11:45 pm at night.
3) Had a tough time find the hotel. My cab made multiple rounds before we could find it. The hotel board is hardly visible from the road and we did not see the hotel even when standing in front of it.
4) Very bad rooms. The Window AC is fitted directly above the pillow of the bed. So there is no way you can keep the AC on when you sleep as this will freeze your head. ( leaving the sound of the window AC).The bathrooms were neat and clean and I was wondering they have such a big bathroom when the room's are so cramped.
I am just highlighting the Makemytrip.com issue below.
I had made the booking in Hotel Aston for 23rd June 2011 from make my trip by paying full money. Just one days before my stay date, the hotel called me saying that they cannot give me the room as make my trip.com had not made the payment.
Then I had to call makemytrip.com and they immediately said payment will be arranged. After some time the hotel called back again saying that they have received only the partial payment and they will not be able to give me the room till they receive the full payment. I called makemytrip.com again when they said everything has been settled and the room is confirmed.
Reaching the hotel at 11:45pm in the night the hotel asked me to make an extra payment for the room leaving me no option.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Hotel Aston is strategically situated in the heart of Kolkata, India, close to the city center. It is 20 km from the Dumdum Airport and 6 km from the Howrah Railway Station. Designed to offer complete comfort without breaking your budget, Hotel Aston’s air-conditioned guestrooms are furnished with a television and telephone. Running hot and cold water is also provided. For anything else you might need, room service is available round the clock. ... more less
- Also Known As:
- Hotel Aston Kolkata (Calcutta), India - West Bengal