“Bad experience at Hotel Aston.”
Review of Hotel Aston

Hotel Aston
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Aston
Ranked #165 of 219 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hyderabad, India
“Bad experience at Hotel Aston.”
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I din't know much about Kolkota before I reached there. Actually there are many good hotels near the US consulate. I had an interview on 23rd June 2011 at US consulate.)
I had made the booking in Hotel Aston for 23rd June 2011 from makemytrip.com by paying full money.

About the Hotel:
1)The hotel room is really made by making some adjustments to the passage. Open the window and stretch your arm , you can touch the taxi's and cars parked on the road.

2) The hotel refused to give me room even after full payment is made as they had some payment issue with makemytrip.com. So I had to make an extra payment as I had no option at 11:45 pm at night.

3) Had a tough time find the hotel. My cab made multiple rounds before we could find it. The hotel board is hardly visible from the road and we did not see the hotel even when standing in front of it.

4) Very bad rooms. The Window AC is fitted directly above the pillow of the bed. So there is no way you can keep the AC on when you sleep as this will freeze your head. ( leaving the sound of the window AC).The bathrooms were neat and clean and I was wondering they have such a big bathroom when the room's are so cramped.

I am just highlighting the Makemytrip.com issue below.

I had made the booking in Hotel Aston for 23rd June 2011 from make my trip by paying full money. Just one days before my stay date, the hotel called me saying that they cannot give me the room as make my trip.com had not made the payment.
Then I had to call makemytrip.com and they immediately said payment will be arranged. After some time the hotel called back again saying that they have received only the partial payment and they will not be able to give me the room till they receive the full payment. I called makemytrip.com again when they said everything has been settled and the room is confirmed.
Reaching the hotel at 11:45pm in the night the hotel asked me to make an extra payment for the room leaving me no option.

Thanks
Manmath

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ManmathManjunath

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Tiny room with great hot shower. If you just want a room to retreat away from the tourist spots, this is just right. They don't overcharge, have room service (ordered the masala tea every morning, food not so great but there's a great vegetarian dosa place two doors away). Always someone at the front desk and they will gladly call over a cab for you and give you hints about getting to major spots. I had a room near the staff area and elevator, not the best but I was so pleased with the price that that was the least of my concerns.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed 29 November 2010

We stayed at this hotel during our our transit to Sikkim. This is a basic hotel but at good location. Rooms are very small. staff is helpful. There is a taxi stand just outside this hotel, which comes handy in Kolkata as finding a taxi is very difficult there. There is nothing to be enjoyed at the hotel. This is just a place for a stopover.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
Mumbai
Reviewed 15 June 2010

Situated in the midst of the residential area this hotel has absolutely no scenic value...the windows of the rooms were opening infront of the residential flats..thereby disturbing your privacy...room size was too small with average basic amenities....room service was ok...food was also ok...

• Stayed September 2007, travelled on business

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia
Reviewed 18 February 2010

When we arrive at Kolkata without booking the hotel we directly go to hotel, the hotel condition is good and the staff are very helping. The hotel location quite far from street park if walking distance may take 20 minutes so we prefer by taxi which cost 100rupee.
The staff duty on that day help us to booking train ticket from kolkata- Delhi-Kolkata which very helpful to us. Thank you so much!

Stayed January 2010, travelled with friends
Sydney
Reviewed 30 November 2009

We stayed here for two nights after transferring from a bad hotel nearby. This hotel was clean, tastefully decorated and had great room service. It's in a handy location and we found it quiet. Our room had reliable AC and hot water. The room was roomy and modern. We were so relieved to find it after our first bad experience. After a hard day's sightseeing in Kolkata it was a relief to get back to our cool and quiet room, order tea and a snack and relax before heading out again. The manager is friendly and helpful and the staff are organised and efficient. Although it seems to be used by businessmen, we would also recommend it for those who are in Kolkata for a few days holiday.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple