“Avoid!”
Review of Hotel Aston

Hotel Aston
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Hotel Aston
Ranked #144 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reading, United Kingdom
“Avoid!”
Reviewed 29 August 2013

I stayed in this hotel on the end of a 3 week tour. All of the hotels i stayed in were of the same budget and simple accommodation. This hotel was by far the worst. The staff were rude and unhelpful. When we arrived to check into our twin room ee were told there was only a double. The room stank of smoke, even in the bathroom. Room service was slow. We asked 3 times for a second towel and never received one. On departure day, I asked if the room was available for a bit later on check out day. To begin with I was told yes and then 10 minutes later they changed their minds. I knew this hotel was not going to be 5 star and I normally read these reviews a bit cynically. But I had to write this as it was awful!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Laura C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (2)
Mumbai (Bombay), India
Reviewed 29 August 2013

My family visits Calcutta every Durga Puja... We stayed at this place....Manager was rude and incorporative....Ever after taking 50% advance service was horrible...
We asked for black tea and water was dirty...service was super bad!
Rooms are dingy and not clean...
Please avoid this place if you can!

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank bhattkavita

Travellers are raving about these Kolkata (Calcutta) hotels

Panjim, India
Reviewed 22 April 2013

Took a double room that was rather small but but okay for just a night's rest. Bathrooms are more spacious but fittings difficult to use. No hotel restaurant so slow room service & don't count on a cheerful reception. Also not close to the major tourist attractions.

Room Tip: Avoid ac room with ac just above the head.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank chemengg00
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 27 December 2011

Great experience in the hotel, good ambience, food, location are well maintained. Hospitality is excellent & budget wise it won't make hole in your pocket. Kolkata is a nice place and this stay has added value to my stay in these days.Thanks for everything.

• Stayed August 2011, travelled on business
Pune, Maharashtra, India
Reviewed 8 November 2011

The best place to be for a business traveller... Although the rooms are small but the food , the service and the pricing is too good... I have made it my permanant hotel during my business visits to Kolkata.

• Stayed October 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank mehtadharmesh
Hyderabad, India
Reviewed 30 June 2011

I din't know much about Kolkota before I reached there. Actually there are many good hotels near the US consulate. I had an interview on 23rd June 2011 at US consulate.)
I had made the booking in Hotel Aston for 23rd June 2011 from makemytrip.com by paying full money.

About the Hotel:
1)The hotel room is really made by making some adjustments to the passage. Open the window and stretch your arm , you can touch the taxi's and cars parked on the road.

2) The hotel refused to give me room even after full payment is made as they had some payment issue with makemytrip.com. So I had to make an extra payment as I had no option at 11:45 pm at night.

3) Had a tough time find the hotel. My cab made multiple rounds before we could find it. The hotel board is hardly visible from the road and we did not see the hotel even when standing in front of it.

4) Very bad rooms. The Window AC is fitted directly above the pillow of the bed. So there is no way you can keep the AC on when you sleep as this will freeze your head. ( leaving the sound of the window AC).The bathrooms were neat and clean and I was wondering they have such a big bathroom when the room's are so cramped.

I am just highlighting the Makemytrip.com issue below.

I had made the booking in Hotel Aston for 23rd June 2011 from make my trip by paying full money. Just one days before my stay date, the hotel called me saying that they cannot give me the room as make my trip.com had not made the payment.
Then I had to call makemytrip.com and they immediately said payment will be arranged. After some time the hotel called back again saying that they have received only the partial payment and they will not be able to give me the room till they receive the full payment. I called makemytrip.com again when they said everything has been settled and the room is confirmed.
Reaching the hotel at 11:45pm in the night the hotel asked me to make an extra payment for the room leaving me no option.

Thanks
Manmath

• Stayed June 2011, travelled as a couple
2 Thank ManmathManjunath
San Francisco, California
Reviewed 11 March 2011

Tiny room with great hot shower. If you just want a room to retreat away from the tourist spots, this is just right. They don't overcharge, have room service (ordered the masala tea every morning, food not so great but there's a great vegetarian dosa place two doors away). Always someone at the front desk and they will gladly call over a cab for you and give you hints about getting to major spots. I had a room near the staff area and elevator, not the best but I was so pleased with the price that that was the least of my concerns.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled solo