“A Rathole and Deceptive”

Hotel Executive Tower
Ranked #84 of 224 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 5 March 2014

We booked this on the basis that it said it was central and it was apparently good quality but...
The hotel is not a western quality tourist place and though it is central to a business area it is not anywhere near where any tourist would want to be, which is Park Street. It is a low to middle quality commercial hotel for lower level Indian commercial staff who pay 2000 rupees a day (we were complaining at the desk while one was paying), not the 6000 or so rupees advertised. Despite the photos on site the rooms are small and squalid. Our shower did not drain, and they didn't or couldn't fix it, but we had no hot water anyway. The rooms must stink because our room had mothballs everywhere (even in the shower) to disguise the smell. The bed had a hard mattress. The breakfast is very, very substandard. The staff are friendly and helpful but this does not get over the fact that this is the standard of hotel rooms I got as a poor backpacker years ago and after complaining I had no trouble having the room rate halved to just over 3000 rupees and I could have got more off it but just wanted to get out. In short, a rip off. And note, the air conditioner is old style with one setting (high) and very cold so we couldn't keep it on and the room fan blew a gale even on low. The location is noisy on a busy main road and the surrounds are awful with the outlook from the rooms onto virtual slum buildings only a few metres away. Avoid.

Room Tip: Go to another hotel. We went to the Kenilworth which was not cheap but excellent and highly recommen...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RolandWorldTravels
There are newer reviews for Hotel Executive Tower

Reviewed 28 June 2013

I have attended a conference conducted by my office at Kolkata & stayed at Hotel Executive Tower, kolkata for 2 nights.On 9th June, 2013, I have checked in & had checked out on 11th June, 2013. What I really like is the size of the rooms which is very large & the amenities provided is really luxurious. The hotel has 24 hours service. It has 2 restaurants cum bars which offers very tasty & delicious food.when I entered the restaurant , it was very crowdy but I have been given a very prompt yet personalised service by the staffs. They were very well mannered & courteous. The lobby is comfortable & well decorated. Overall it was a very good experience staying at this hotel. I would definitely come back to this hotel again.

Room Tip: rooms are airy as well as spacious. 01 series are the best.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank maz72in_13
Reviewed 23 January 2013

just 4 days before I left this hotel,after attending a training for doctors arrange by NACO.Training was for 2weeks....that was a terrible experience for me and my roommate at hotel.2 bar are in ground floor..every evening we passed through liquor's smell..our dinner was served at a place without hand-wash facility.a bar is changed as a place for serving breakfast at morning.this is only about hotel.one day we returned from training at 6pm,at reception it was told to us for shifting..we already shifted 1time..we don't.next day again they did the same thing,and disagree to give us the key of our room..and missbehaved with us.it was their hospitlity with 2 lady doctors.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled solo
3  Thank tuli27
Reviewed 17 December 2012

just got back yesterday from a 2 weeks trip to India.. this is a first hotel that i stayed.. the room was quite average for a hotel in the city centre.. the hotel reeks with foul-liquor smell.. the breakfast was nothing to shout about.. the toilet was surprisingly clean and big.. however, the tap water stinks badly and bit coloured.. stay if only you dont have any choice elsewhere..

Room Tip: go for corner suites...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 21 September 2012

First time I stayed in this hotel, booking was made through Make my trip.
It is on a busy junction. Two bar restaurant are in basement. Room is very average. Water in the tap was in black colour. It look like a lodge.No view from the window. Room is fitted with window a/c.Break fast is also was not good.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank shajiMumbai
Reviewed 20 March 2010

In the first place the reason why I had to stay in the hotel was the fact that I was a bit impressed by its regal name and the room rent they charged. However all my expections made a nose dive the moment I entered the Hotel.

The hotel starts stinking with terrible liquor the moment you enter the hotel premises. Next, the reception guy gave me the bad news in the first place that i would not be able stay overnight inspite of the fact that I was having a confirmed booking.

Next, there was no person staying in the hotel apart from me. Even the lounge was in dim light giving a very depressive. Even in the morning the place looks very gloomy and the breakfast served is rather stale. There are not much options like bufet breakfast provided in other hotels. Even milk is provided at a cost during breakfast. The only thing which is complementery is tea and stale bread. The glass of milk smells like it was used for serving liquor.

Even cleanliness is nowhere near mark. The room smells with terrible smell. And there is no provision for hot water. Also the bathroom is no better. The cupboard is simply among the worst as there is no hanger and the TV reception is the only good thing the hotel has.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled on business
3  Thank Bhushan_Malkan
Reviewed 11 November 2009

I had booked this hotel online through cleartrip.com. This property is the worst hotel I have ever encountered. The room I had booked for – I did not get that room. If I describe the room what I got, then that description would more befitting a property in a questionable neighborhood where they rent room by the hour. BTW, this is also a very loud neighborhood.

The bedroom was very small, and the bed was packed between two walls. The doors on the closet seemed to have been ripped off. The room was ugly. Red carpet, red chair, red bedcover. Hello?
The bathroom had a semi functioning toilet, no soap, no shower curtain, a small old fashioned geyser for hot water.
I requested the hotel to either upgrade me, or find me another hotel, but their attitude was – to hell with you. This is what you get, and to bad, to sad, so suck it up, or get lost.

You keep paying a good tip, and you will get the room service you want. For breakfast, they had toast, aloo & puri, all kept “warm” in hot cases. I don’t think I recall anyplace in the world where they service toasted bread in a hot case. Even an imbecile would know that it would become soggy. You could get bitter tea, made out of recycled tea leaves.

I asked the local business about this place, and it seems, this place is famous for very bad service. Why did I choose that hotel, was one common question, on most lips, and others just shook their heads.

Conclusion is that unless there is no other property available in the city, you don’t want to go there. It is the worst property in its category. I would rate it as a certifiable hell hole.

I would never ever go there again.

• Stayed: November 2009, travelled on business