“Need to upgrade”

Hotel Gulshan International
Hotel Gulshan International
Ranked #134 of 229 Hotels in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Reviewed 1 October 2013

The only thing remarkable about this hotel is the STAFF...they are extremely helpful and friendly...but they seriously need to upgrade the hotel...restaurant needs severe renovation...i am a well-wisher to this hotel...please upgrade to retain your clients...Please make sure that WIFI is available from now on...

Room Tip: Suites are better...
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank fahmi2017

Reviewed 27 August 2013

Very easy to locate this hotel at Park Street and it is known to most taxi drivers at the airport. We landed at 2am at Kolkata Airport and taxi drivers are always there to fool you at this time, I was charged INR 600 even though I knew I could have settled for INR 300 + INR 100 for odd timing. I was not aware of pre-paid taxis available in the new airport. Exterior view of the hotel was awful but thankfully the rooms were as good as a 2 Star hotel. The staff were in deep sleep when we arrived . My taxi driver had to wake them up! We were offered Room 302. There is no Hot water available in this room. There were no towels too. When asked, all towels have been washed and will be available soon! Staff were helpful to offer us hot water in 2 buckets from other rooms. They helped us getting taxis and pack food for us too.

Room Tip: Hot water not available in 302.
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 27 June 2013

Stayed there for only a day. We took two rooms. Although one of the rooms was cramped for space it was cozy nonetheless so it didn't bother us at the end of the day. Staff was friendly and helpful. I'll stay there again if I went back to Kolkata

Room Tip: Park street and all the Kolkata's culinary attractions are nearby. Don't miss Hotel Arsalan
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Parag1210
Reviewed 1 July 2012

I arrived, tired from flights from Kathmandu to Delhi (complete with visit to luggage basement to explain why my bag was beeping and what a rape alarm was for!!) then on to Kolkata.
I went to the prepaid taxi booth and eventually arrived at my hotel.

You'd think from the surrounding area. that the hotel would also be a dump. How wrong I was! After being struck down in Nepal with amoebic dystentry, I felt pretty weak and tired. I am so glad I picked this hotel. The staff were very helpful but the best thing was the bed. Oh, so comfortable. I wish my bed at home was this good!

Room was clean and had everything I needed. Would stay here again. I came to like Kolkata. Compared to Mumbai and Delhi, it's so cheap

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled solo
5  Thank jayelbee
Reviewed 24 June 2012

The only positive aspect of this hotel is its location (Very close to Park Street/ Park Circus). Apart from that- all else is terrible !

Rooms- Tiny, unclean (even after the cleaning is done), stale air...
Service- Poor. Even the elevator looked from another century!
Staff- Disinterested. Had a take it or leave it attitude (guess most people turn to this hotel only when there are no other options left / booked out- as we did!!!)

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank lvlyn2009
Reviewed 24 April 2012

I suppose it is unfair to criticise this hotel in isolation as we went to several hotels in an attempt to escape this one and they were all disgusting. The rooms are small and shabby, the shower was covered in rust and only worked occasionally with cold water. The sheets were dirty and the breakfast inedible. I am sure many British prisons are better equipped than this hotel. My only recommendation is don't ever go to Kolcata as the whole place is a nightmare full of rats, filth and child beggars. My heart goes out to the poor people of Kolkata who have no choice but to try and survive in this city of squalor.

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank harrynPhuket
GMPIK, General Manager at Hotel Gulshan International, responded to this reviewResponded 27 April 2012

At the onset please accept my apologies for the inconvenience caused during your stay at Kolkata.

If the points mentioned in your comments would have brought to our notice during your stay, we would have certainly handled the situation differently.

However, your observations would certainly help us to upgrade ourselves and you will find a definite change in your next visit.

Assuring you the best services at all times.

Regards,

Subhomoy De

Reviewed 27 January 2012

I booked here because it was supposed to have in-room wifi. But it only worked in the lobby. The elevator looks about 100 years old and only goes up to the 3rd floor (our room was on the 5th). The hotel was difficult to find because the address is misleading. The hotel is not actually on Royd St, but rather around the corner. Had to run the hot water for 10 minutes before it began to get warm. Some of the staff apparently live in the hotel. They were running around barefoot, making all sorts of noise in the hallways, yelling to each other, and horsing around late at night like they were at a slumber party. They didn't quiet down until our 4th complaint. Then the next morning, after I carried my own bag to the taxi, the same staff had the nerve to ask me for a tip! Totally unprofessional, and I would avoid this hotel if you want to get any sleep. It is unfortunate because the room itself was not bad.

• Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple