“Lovely Food !”
Review of Zaranj

Zaranj
Ranked #115 of 4,263 Restaurants in Kolkata (Calcutta)
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Groups, Child-friendly
Dining options: After-hours, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 14 May 2013

The food is awesome, north Indian cuisine, and the decent look and ambiance ! The service was little not good as the staff were keeping eye on every movement, but i liked the food...as compared to price the food is awesome.

Reviewed 3 May 2013

I have eaten at Zaranj several times. My experience as far as food is concerned, has always been the same. Other things have given me different experience at different visits.

Let me first talk about the food. The food is simple outstanding. It is served within reasonable time. For those who are from kolkata, would find it to be costly but those who have been to delhi or mumbai, would find it reasonable. A typical dinner for four adults, without alcohol, would cost you around 3000 bucks in Indian Currency. Pick up any item with paneer (cottage cheese) and you would love the way the chef has made it delightful. The indian spices, the cream, the use of butter and milk, the softness of cheese, you would simple love it. Dal (curry) is another item you must try. There are lot of choices in bread. I suggest you don't order all your bread at one go.

Now let me other things.

Location - Even though I am from Kolkata, it was difficult for me to locate it at one go. Though centrally located and established on the main road, the entrance and the name of the restaurant are put up in such a way that you would surely miss it for the first time.

Service - If you go on weekends or sundays, you might have to wait for long hours for your turn to get a place. So make a tele booking and then go. However in our case, even though we did a booking and arrived well before time, they gave preference to those who arrived early at the restaurant, with or without booking.

So that was a disappointment and point of agitation.

On sundays and weekdays you would feel the rush and it is more likely that you would be under pressure to finish your meal quickly.

Reviewed 23 April 2013

I've eaten at Zaranj several times in the past and on my nost recent trip to Kolkata ate there twice more. I keep going back because the food quality is outstanding and the price is also quite good. Service was great and I love the atmosphere in the place. HIghly recommended.

Reviewed 7 April 2013

Heard lot about this restaurant before but somehow could not manage to experience it. Yesterday had a dinner, and I seriously wished that I never went there. Interiors immediately need a makeover, service is below standard.but more importantly, the food, it is really awful though they are charging exorbitant prices. Tried tandoori chicken, moorg baroodi and lachha paratha. The chicken was not fresh, cooking was horrible, paratha was so crispy that it tastes like papad.

We were initially surprised to find this place only 30% full even at 9 P.M on a saturday evening. But after, we had our dinner, we knew the reason why. After all, there are plenty of places in Kolkata serving much better quality at one third of the prices they are charging.

Reviewed 6 March 2013

2 rooms, 2 ambiances. One is north Indian and the other is Thai. I generally go for the Thai cuisine but I have tried the north Indian specialties which are good too. Thai cuisine is really good (curries, Thai salads full of fresh herbs...) Only Baan Thai at Oberoi Grand can be considered better - but Zaranj price range is definitely more affordable.