“The Dauphin Island Atmosphere...”
Review of Gulf Breeze Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dauphin Island
Gulf Breeze Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dauphin Island
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I have read all the reviews about the Gulf Breeze Motel and I agree with all of them. The hotel is old, and it does have an old beach smell. The smell is not awful it's just how things are in an inexpensive hotel. Oh, it is not a 5 minute walk! The hotel is just across the street from the public beach.

The owners do have an attitude just like everyone else on the island. I really love Dauphin Island but it is very much like an old fishing town... they want your money but not you! I will say that things on the island are changing as there are new condos and a nice new restaurant.

In my opinion, if you are on a tight budget this is a good place to stay and an ok beach - the island has REALLY good fishing. If you can afford Orange Beach or that area, you would be much better off going there if your main focus is beach and swimming. By the way, there are A LOT of sharks around Dauphin Island so to NOT go out too far!

If you have question, please feel free to email me as I live in the area (within 30 miles).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
3  Thank ml4474
There are newer reviews for Gulf Breeze Motel

Reviewed 7 July 2009

This independently owned facility is exhibit relaxation and a slow pace in every part of our visit. If you are looking for an upscale hotel, this is not the place for you. But the quietness of the island and the slow pace for putting your boat into the Mobile Bay or walking across the street to the vast beach area and the Gulf.
Don't forget to get a fantastic fresh seafood meal at Skinner's Seafood. They bring in their catch (from their own boats) each morning and will steam anything for you. They also provide steamed corn on the cob, potatoes, and other fresh vegetables right in with shrimp or other catch of the day. You will never have a fresher meal than what Skinner's prepares.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 June 2009

the bottom line is you get what you pay for, very clean room, very friendly staff, and quiet, which is pretty much what you get on the whole island. the cons of the hotel however if you choose to be picky, the rooms are very bare and the beds are really stiff, but if you like your bed like that your in luck. great location pretty much dead center of the island, and right across from the beach. in additon they have a picnic area with grills and a boat launch with slips around back. not the ritz but the pros far outway the cons

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ekaplan01
Reviewed 11 March 2009

We stayed one night in March and really liked this Motel. It is across the street from the public beach and has a boat ramp to the Bay side.

Positives: the wide white walkways in front of the rooms with benches, friendly staff, fridges in the room, very clean, beach across the street, price

Negatives: no internet (but the reception said the visitor center has free internet), a little wear and tear on the rooms shows (but still very clean, so this did not bother us)

Great for a low key vacation

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Alabama2Berlin
Reviewed 29 July 2008

My husband and I made reservations back in May for a July visit. When we showed up (it's a seven hour drive to Dauphin Island from our home), we were told they did not have our reservation. They eventually found it, because we had a confirmation number, but did not have a room for us and basically said we were out of luck. I asked to speak with the owner, who was no help. I asked at the very least for a credit to come back on the house for the three days we'd now be missing, and he refused, offering just one day (which wouldn't even cover our gas home). As the only hotel on the island, the owner has his guests over a barrel and really does not care how he treats them. I said "Is treating your customers like this how you do business?" To which he replied, "Yes ma'am, that's how I do business." I discourage anyone from rewarding his behavior. We lucked out and found one of the "Fish Camps" on the island vacant - much nicer, better location, and not much more money, plus management that cares.

• Stayed: July 2008, travelled with family
7  Thank tennesseetraveler57
Reviewed 14 May 2008

The price was great, the location was good (not far from the beach). My problem was with the amenities. We had a standard room. The beds were uncomfortable, they seemed pretty old, everytime we sat on either of the beds it sounded as it one of us had passed gas. It seemed as if our room was the very last one cleaned. When we entered the room it had a funky odor, but we got used to it. It was nice that the room had a mini-fridge.

If you are on a budget, this is a good place for you. There is a bar close and the beach 5 minutes away.

I wonder if we'd gotten one of their units with the kitchens if it would have been nicer.

• Stayed: March 2008, travelled as a couple
5  Thank BlaineAndRobin
Reviewed 13 May 2008

First of all, let me say that my family and I have visited Dauphin Island at least once a year since 1985 so we are practically residents (smile). I went there for the first time during spring break when I was a junior in college..chosen specifically because there was no huge spring break/party crowd. I fell in love that day and now have formed a huge following of Dauphin Island fans. We have stayed at the Gulf Breeze several times over the years, in the double rooms and in the efficiency suites. The owners have always been very courteous and friendly and (as well seasoned travelers), we have always experienced a quiet, non-invasive stay while there unlike at many other hotels where the other guests might as well be staying in your room. The hotel is within walking distance to the public beach which is rarely crowded. There are restaurants and souvenier shops within walking distance also. The lsland is such a little gem for sure that I almost hate recommending it to others because I'd hate for it totwo seperate bedrooms that share a bathroom and then a small kitc become over-crowded or commercialized. There are no McDonald's or Wal-marts on the island but there are plenty of commercial opportunities for shopping and eating out within a thirty minute drive. I believe that of all the places we have traveled, you get the most undisturbed, true to beach life experience here than anywhere else. People who come here come because they love the clean air, the water, the food and the atmospere..pure and simple. A stay at the Gulf Breeze adds to that because it is quiet and close to everything. The suites have hen, dining area and living room. Perfect for families.

• Stayed: March 2006, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2  Thank journey67
#39 of 64 in Mobile
Sanibel Gulf Shores
Sanibel Gulf Shores
#11 of 25 in Gulf Shores

Been to Gulf Breeze Motel? Share your experiences!