“Basic but clean hotel”
Review of Gulf Breeze Motel

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Dauphin Island
Gulf Breeze Motel
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Dauphin Island
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Gulf Breeze Motel is a nice clean hotel but very basic. There was no hair dryer or coffee maker. It's within walking distance of the public beach on Dauphin Island. It was economically priced. I would definitely recommend it to future travelers to Dauphin Island.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Michellejsco

Reviewed 13 October 2009

This hotel isn't for the "jet set," but if you're looking for a comfortable, clean place to relax, this is it. I don't think I've ever stayed in a hotel that's been so clean or smelled so good. Although this area of the Gulf coast can be a little "buggy," we didn't find a single one in our room. The water was hot and there was plenty of pressure; a small fridge in the room allowed us to keep soda and snacks cold; and the beds were firm yet comfortable. There's a laundry room with microwave on site for late night popcorn. And within walking distance of the public beach and just a few feet from the intercoastal waterway, sunning, swimming or fishing can be enjoyed without a long drive. The only thing we didn't like was the long drive to Mobile to shop.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bunnyzed
Reviewed 8 September 2009

Could use some pictures on walls and offer some shampoo & lotion. Wash cloths are thread bare. But bed was great- very stiff...............Need more charis on balcony, we had one and people came in and moved all the chairs on top floor to their corner room.......

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank hotshotsusan
Reviewed 9 August 2009

We decided on a Wednesday to go to the beach and booked a room at the Gulf Breeze Thursday morning. We checked in late and the staff was friendly. We had one of the standard rooms. We did not have overly high expectations and were pleased with the room for the two nights we were there. We would probably opt for one of the suites if we stayed more than a weekend, but our room was fine for this on a whim triip. Oh and the bed was surprislingly comfortable - I slept like a dream.

You can litterally walk across the street (about 300 yeards) to the beach and the old pier. You are also in walking distance to the Oar House and several shops. The bay is just out the back door (perfect for fishing).

If you are looking for down and granite, go elsewhere. This place is not for you. If you are looking for an authentic island feel, then this place will work just fine.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Woodgollem
Reviewed 5 August 2009

My boyfriend stayed @ this hotel as a young boy with his family & had many fond memories of this place. I didn't know what to expect, but was not @ all disappointed. It felt so comfortable & the serenity it brought with it was incredible. The exterior & interior of the hotel was freshly painted & the rooms were very clean. If you don't mind fancy, than you need to stay here, we can't wait to go back. The hotel loaned us a couple of crab traps & @ the bayou pier in the back we caught enough blue crab to eat dinner. We also enjoyed the convenient walk along the beautiful untouched beaches across the street. We collected seashells, unbelievable amounts on the west end. We loved every bit of our stay and plan on returning in the next couple of months. We will be staying @ the "Gulf Breeze Motel," why stay anywhere else when you can enjoy the freedom & really get the feel of the island. It reminded me of the Walter Anderson stories I read about. I also used the internet on my laptop and had no problems. I couldn't have dreamed a nicer get away!

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bonesjones
Reviewed 21 July 2009

We lived in the area many, many years ago, but never took advantage of sightseeing, museums, etc. We decided to stay in this retro hotel because it brought memories of how times were long ago. It was a very comfortable place with a friendly atmosphere.

At first I could not get online, but after asking in the office, I got online without a problem. The office was very helpful.

If you are looking for waterfront beach, you will be disappointed. If you are looking for just a place to stay while you enjoy other activities, this is a fun place to be.

• Stayed: May 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank 6gigi
Reviewed 18 July 2009

I have read all the reviews about the Gulf Breeze Motel and I agree with all of them. The hotel is old, and it does have an old beach smell. The smell is not awful it's just how things are in an inexpensive hotel. Oh, it is not a 5 minute walk! The hotel is just across the street from the public beach.

The owners do have an attitude just like everyone else on the island. I really love Dauphin Island but it is very much like an old fishing town... they want your money but not you! I will say that things on the island are changing as there are new condos and a nice new restaurant.

In my opinion, if you are on a tight budget this is a good place to stay and an ok beach - the island has REALLY good fishing. If you can afford Orange Beach or that area, you would be much better off going there if your main focus is beach and swimming. By the way, there are A LOT of sharks around Dauphin Island so to NOT go out too far!

If you have question, please feel free to email me as I live in the area (within 30 miles).

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
#39 of 64 in Mobile
Sanibel Gulf Shores
Sanibel Gulf Shores
#12 of 25 in Gulf Shores

Been to Gulf Breeze Motel? Share your experiences!