“One Busy Place”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 23 April 2012

Wintzell's is an Alabama seafood chain with locations all over the state. They've been in business a long time. This is a review of the Decatur store.

Located on the busy Decatur Beltline Rd., Wintzell's is a very popular restaurant. It features many kinds of seafood - shrimp, oysters (of course), crab, and several kinds of fish. Most of the dishes are fried but they do have broiled items too. There are also steaks and sandwiches available.

One of my favorites is the basket with shrimp, oysters or other entrees. These come with fries and hush puppies and a tiny dab of slaw. This is one of the cheaper menu items at about $10.

Most of the dinners are in the $15 to $20 range. You get a generous helping with these meals. They have a full bar available. The place is always very busy but I have always gotten good service. This is not as upscale as Red Lobster but is well worth visiting.

There are newer reviews for Wintzell's Oyster House

Reviewed 15 April 2012

So glad to have such an awesome restaurant here in Decatur. Great food and history to boot. Love the 3 to 7 $5 happy hour

Reviewed 28 January 2012

I must say I am over Wintzell's. Everything was fine when they first opened, went in 5 or 6 time for happy hour 1/2 price oysters. Set at the oyster end of bar and would eat 2 to 4 dozen. Then went back a few weeks later and even with a guy shucking right in front of me they brought out oysters from the back of the house. No the guy shucking had trays of them shucked so he was not in the weeds. Well the ones they sat down in front of me were not fit to eat, They were dried out no juices in the shell at all the meat was sticky and they smelled not so good. I paid for them and left. Same thing happened the next time I went so I have not been back.

1  Thank Kenneth W
Reviewed 26 January 2012

Always enjoy the seafood variety. Nice atmosphere as well.

Reviewed 19 January 2012

We (my husband and I with our 5- and 3-year-olds) tried Wintzell's not long after they opened their Decatur store. While the food was good, the most memorable part of that experience was the very bad service. We finally went back last night, and not only was our food fantastic, our server was great(Thanks, Sophia!)! The kids seemed to like everything they put in their mouths - shrimp, fish, crawfish tails, fried pickles, salad, you name it! My husband got the oyster sampler platter, and had a great time trying the different styles. His favorite had bacon and blue cheese on it. I had the seafood au gratin. I wasn't sure how it would be served, but it came out in an individual-sized casserole-type dish with a side of plenty of that crusty french bread that is so very good. I ate the au gratin almost like a dip, spreading a generous bite at a time onto my bread. Amazing. We had to get our dessert to go, but the bread pudding was just as amazing at home as I'm sure it would have been at the restaurant. Maybe more, since we got to eat it in our pajamas! We'll definitely be returning to Wintzell's more often in the future. Oh, and I forgot to mention that our appetizers were $5 apiece - it was happy hour!