“Great Option for a Small Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Courtyard Decatur

Courtyard Decatur
Ranked #6 of 17 Hotels in Decatur
Indianapolis, Indiana
“Great Option for a Small Town”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 February 2012

We stayed overnight at Decatur's Courtyard Marriott on our way back from a Florida vacation. Thanks to the business travel my husband does, we tend to collect a few free stays at Marriott hotels every year, so we selected this particular hotel only because we could stay for free. Sometimes saving a buck or two pays back big dividends, and this was one of those times. We were pleasantly surprised to find ourselves in a surprisingly luxurious hotel in the middle of Alabama.

Our room was spacious and looked to be newly decorated. It was very clean. There was a nice balcony that we could actually step out onto. Despite the hotel's location on a main thoroughfare, you had to drive down a lane away from the highway to get to it. There didn't seem to be other businesses nearby, so there was little to no traffic noise. The lobby was large and several families seemed to be enjoying the comfortable space to visit and enjoy a televised basketball game.

As it turned out, there were a lot of families and groups of young people spending the night there because of a tennis tournament in the area. The hotel was large enough and well constructed enough that when we were in our room, we couldn't hear a thing. The dining room was a little crowded in the morning, but there was plenty of hot food for everyone.

Breakfast was excellent. There were several meats too choose from, along with potatoes and eggs cooked a couple different ways. There was also an excellent selection of fresh fruits and a cereal bar with a variety of toppings.

We didn't stay long enough to try out the pool, but from what I saw it seemed like a standard hotel pool--maybe a little on the small side. I did get to see the fitness room, which was in good condition.

I don't know that we'll ever pass through Decatur again, but if we do, this is where we'll stop for the night.

Stayed April 2011, travelled with family
1 Thank RuthHolland

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (30)
Kissimmee, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 February 2012

I used to live in this little town. When I travel back to stay I have stayed in every available hotel there. Great beds. Good condition. Secure. Staff is great.on my way there now and hope it lives up to my previous visits! Small pool but nicely heated ( indoor) one. I really like this place.

• Stayed December 2011
Walker, Minnesota
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 December 2011

For the second straight year, my wife and I used this hotel for a night's stay as we traveled Interstate 65 south to Florida. The location is a few miles off the interstate and might cause some traveleres to not consider this hotel, but we were usiing Marriott points for this stay and found the number of points required to stay at this Courtyard to be a bargain worthy of the drive.

Cleanliness and freshness is something we look for wherever we stay and this Courtyard compares favorably to anyplace we have ever stayed. The exterior and lobby areas show evidence of good care and hard work by a friendly staff. Prior to our departure the next morning we noticed several instances of cleaning and polishing of the public areas already underway. The results are evident.

Courtyard Inn's do not provide a free breakfast, but this location had an excellent and very modest cost ($6.75) buffet which provided ample choices of good quality items including made-to-order omelots. We enjoyed our breakfasts and ate a little more than we usually would which allowed us to lighten up or even skip lunch. While we arrived too late to need an evening meal, we did notice various restaurant choices in the area. A Logan's Roadhouse is located nearby and an Applebee's, among others, is a few blocks away.

The rooms were nice, the beds comfortable and the wireless internet was easy and quick.

Based on our two stays I would not hesitate to recommend this hotel to anyone passing through or visiting this area.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled with family
Alexandria, Virginia
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 June 2011

My family, 20 month twins and 8 week old, husband and myself stayed here for one night. We got a 2 queen bed room. It was a nice room, though very pricey for one night. The only highlight of it was the breakfast the next morning. I cannot say too much about this place since we were only there for one night. It is conveniently located next to some places to eat, staff was friendly, room was clean. I cannot complain.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with family
Bangkok, Thailand
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 April 2011

It is a good hotel for business travel, elegant clean and meets business travellers requirement. The price is affordable,internet is free though many times they are not disrupted in the rooms and you will have to rush to lobby, Breakfast is sumtuous but there is no restaurant which is very much needed

Room Tip: ask for suits in the third floor
  • Stayed June 2010, travelled on business
Florence, Alabama
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 October 2010

We came from Florence for our anniversary what a mistake! The room was smaller than any hotel room I've stayed in before. There was no microwave, refridgerator, or pillow top mattress. The people though being very nice acted like they no idea where my room was. They sent me in an entirely different direction. Extra pillows we requested ended up being one. Then I payed 6.55 for cold eggs, bacon, and hashbrowns. Where were the biscuits and gravy. I tried to wait for someone to make an egg but they were to busy playing in the back. I know this because they kept looking at me while they did this. They finely brought out coffee but set it down on the table but never offered to pour it. My wife thought it was water umtil she noticed people getting up and getting containers from other tables( not their own) and pouring from them. It was quiet that night in our room. The next morning I cut our trip at this MARRIOTT HOTEL and went to a cheaper but bigger and better eqipped hotel. The people at the front desk were really nice.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank coogler8
KY
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2010

Arrived after a 5 hour trip. Just a pit stop on the way to FL. My son slept in the king sized bed between my husband and me. 15 minutes after we turned off the light, he vomited in the bed. We stripped the bed and called the front desk to ask for clean linens where I was told clean linens were on the way. After an hour of waiting, we all fell asleep again. Luckily, my son did not vomit again on the naked mattress. At 8 a.m., we were awakened by the alarm clock and no clean sheets had been delivered. I expected better service from a nicer hotel like Marriott.

• Stayed October 2010, travelled with family