“An Open Letter to the Jameson”

Quality Inn Decatur
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Decatur
Reviewed 11 September 2011

I thought my review would be best written as a letter to the hotel.

Dear Jameson Inn, Decatur:

Three years ago I rated you as excellent. You had your act together and you were fresh and clean in every respect. I was surprised, when planning a trip back your way, that reading the comments, you had slipped to the middle of the pack and were getting some very negative reviews.

After a recent stay in #115, I believe I can tell you several reasons why this slide into mediocrity has happened. Let me say right off, it's the little things, the details that have moved you from number one to where you are now.

The good: The beds are still comfortable, the outside of the property is nicely trimmed and clean. Your staff is friendly and the pool looked good. My room appeared to have been properly cleaned. The coffee maker was first class and stocked with premium coffee.

The bad: A few mold spots on the shower curtain and upper edge of shower stall. A bare minimum of towels and washcloths, and two tiny little bars of soap. The carpet, although fairly clean, is well worn and shows it. The badly stained and worn out chair by the front window has torn up the paint and the wall behind it.

The waffle maker in the breakfast room was defective and signaled a "done" tone way before the waffles were finished causing time-wasting digging out of undone waffles; which was actually irrelevant because the batter was sour and five people refused to eat the waffles anyway because of the sour taste. They all ended up in the trash can, causing one to wonder what else in the breakfast room was stale and old.

Jameson, your age is showing badly, and your lack of attention to detail is driving your ratings into the tank. If the negative comments continue at this rate, you will not see me next year, as I will choose a higher rated Decatur hotel.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank rikard77
JamesonInnDecatur, General Manager at Quality Inn Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 10 October 2011

Dear rikard77,

Thank you for your time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. As mentioned in the review, you had concerns with the condition of the furnishings in your room and our breakfast. We take all complaints very seriously. I apologize that you found things less than satisfactory. We began addressing these issues immediately. The waffle maker has been replaced and we will not be using the Buttermilk waffles after the negative response to the flavor. A new pilot program for much upgraded soap is in the works as well.

When you are in the Decatur, AL area again; I welcome the opportunity to connect with you better on your future stay. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for me.

Betty

Reviewed 13 August 2011

I got this hotel through priceline, of course anyone who uses priceline knows that you can not pick the hotel you want. Anyway, we drive eight hours down to Alabama so we were exhausted by the time we arrived at about 2:30am. We checked into the hotel, and within three minutes checked out. There were ants and bugs all throughout the hotel. The ants took over the bathroom and some were scattered on the bed, dresser, sink, and other areas. Thank goodness we left our items in the car, because the hotel didn't look clean. We go back down to tell the staff about the room, and on the way down, a huge roach came from under someone's door on the first floor. The bug came from the inside, and upon sliding through the opening, flipped on its back and moved around. GROSS!!! Now we are waiting to see if priceline will refund us or give us a hotel at a later date. We drove around for a little over an hour until we could find a reasonable hotel to stay for one more night, which we could not check into until 5am in order to stay unitl Sunday at a one night rate. The hotel we chose is much better, a lot cleaner, and in Huntsville and closer to civilization. I would never, ever, go to that hotel again. If anyone pays more than twenty dollars to stay there, you need to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: August 2011
1  Thank KBaby3148
betsmc, General Manager at Quality Inn Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 19 August 2011

Dear KBaby3148,

Thank you for your time to review our hotel on Trip Advisor. As mentioned in the review, you had concerns with bugs and roaches. We take complaints like this very seriously and have our hotel inspected on a monthly basis. Anytime we receive a complaint, we get pest control to inspect the rooms immediately for any problems. On August 4, the week before you arrived, we had Cook’s Pest control come out to inspect. The pest inspection went well and there were no signs of infestation found in any room. I apologize that you found otherwise and will be addressing this issue immediately.

If you are in the Decatur, AL area again; I welcome the opportunity to connect with you better on a future stay. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly and ask for me.

Betty McGee
General manager

Reviewed 3 August 2011

Last weekend , my family attened a family reunion. We had 5 rooms at the Jameson inn.
most of checked in on friday 3 rooms and 2 on saturday. It was very nice hotel.
the weekend manger had it set up for all the rooms to be together.even the ones that wouldnt be here til saturday. that was nice.
the rooms and pool were really nice and clean.Every thing was well kept and clean, just like @ home.
Breakfast was nice we had gravy, biscuits, waffels, sausage patties. juice and cerel a variety for every one.
Saturday evening the weekend manager let us use the breakfast room for socializing , and playing games. He made us coffee and he made us feel like family . Some of us that arrived on saturday had small children, when they arrived they already had baby beds in the room with blankets for our convience.... Ive stayed at a lot of big hotels with my work travel like the sofetel, and Hilton, and Ive never been @ a hotel that went out of there way to treat us like family as it was done @ this hotel!!!!!!
We will be back to Decatur to visit in the fall, and we WILL be staying @ the Jameson Inn.
Where we are treated like family . Im not sure if thats a southern thing or they were just nice people, but our family just loved it

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
Reviewed 10 July 2011

There was so much wrong with this place, primarily that the room was filthy. There was a dirty tissue on the floor from a previous guest, the toilet was not cleaned during our stay, bathroom floor was not swept (doubt the carpet was vacuumed either). Not enough towels, no cups the 1st night, 1 little "deodorant" soap but the sink is separate from the shower so that's a challenge. There were mold spots on shower curtain & on walls in bathroom. The AC had two settings: freezing or boiling and blew constantly. Shower was similar: freeze or scald. Our "non-smoking" room had clearly been smoked in very recently.

Breakfast was pre-packaged or plastic-wrapped bread, bagels & muffins. The only hot food was sausage biscuits & gravy and I wasn't brave (i.e. stupid) enough to try that. The waffles were OK. Hot water for tea was tepid at 8:30am. No one there to maintain it, clean up spills, etc. There were no paper towels in lobby bathrooms upon arrival and there's no elevator, which is a hassle when you have 2 small children and all the stuff that entails.

The pool water was very loudly, the ladder was not attached to the pool wall and the steps were peeling. Our daughter cut her toe on one of the steps!

When we checked out, the manager didn't even ask if we'd enjoyed our stay, would be back, etc. I guess she must've already known the answer to that. This was not clean, not friendly, not any place I'd ever stay again! When I booked it, this site listed it as #2 orf in Decatur. When I logged in from the hotel a few days later, it had dropped to #4. That still seems way too high. I don't know what the other hotels look like, but I sure hope they're not all this filthy and gross. This is a trucker / contractor hotel. We didn't have any issues with any of them, just saying this is NOT a family hotel.

There is no way we'll be back there again.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled with family
1  Thank mmeclavie
betsmc, General Manager at Quality Inn Decatur, responded to this reviewResponded 12 July 2011

Dear ­­­­­­­­­­­mmeclavie,

Thank you for your recent comments regarding your stay with us. I would like to first and foremost apologize for the different occurrences you encountered in regards to the housekeeping of your room. I will forward your comments to our housekeeping manager so that we may address these issues and work to correct them. What you experienced is certainly not in keeping with what The Jameson Inn stands for and is about If you are in the Decatur, AL area again; I welcome the opportunity to connect with you better on a future stay. Please feel free to contact the hotel directly at 256-355-2229 and ask for me. Again, I truly apologize and hope that sometime in the future you will give us another opportunity to regain your trust. Thank you again for taking the time to let us know about your experiences.

Betty McGee
General manager

Reviewed 14 May 2011

Rooms clean, breakfast consistent (i.e. no variety.. waffles, bagels, toast, cereal, juice, coffee, doughnuts every day). Desk staff very friendly and helpful. Housekeeping okay but the toilets weren't cleaned for days, they'd forget to replace the coffee cups, had to go ask for extra towels every morning. swimming pool clean and open for season.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
2  Thank chicagotoots
Reviewed 22 April 2011

The hotel was fine but I had issues with my stay. First its always the same thing at breakfast, second, I had to almost daily go to the front desk and get toilet paper because housekeeping would forget to leave it. If this is the best Decatur has than i really don't want to stay at the other hotels.

• Stayed: April 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank ssmith1963
Reviewed 17 March 2011

Stayed here in March with a group of high school bass anglers. Checked in around midnight and received hot cookies upon arrival. The hotel manager left a welcome letter and gift box of candy and gummie worms for the anglers.

The hotel served an early morning breakfast for the anglers beginning at 4 a.m. The only issue was parking due to the number of boats. Guest room contained a small refrigerator and microwave.

Hotel is close to the mall and restaurants. Very helpful staff. Would stay here again without hesitation.

• Stayed: March 2011, travelled with friends