“Insane asylum”

Ranked #16 of 18 Hotels in Decatur
Elizabethtown, Kentucky
“Insane asylum”
Reviewed 8 July 2013

It was cheap, convenient and they take dogs. We just wanted a place to sleep after a long day's drive in pouring rain. We didn't expect much at that price and were not surprised. You could see that an effort had been made to vacuum the ugly, stained and stinky carpet. The sheets reeked of bleach but at least they were washed. The bathroom was clean. All in all a bit on the seedy side but adequate. The real kicker was the crazy woman outside screaming in the middle of the night and talking nonstop at the top of her lungs. I expected the men in white coats any time. After a while someone (owner? manager?) did come and tell her to leave. It took a while for the commotion to cease but it finally did.

Room Tip: Drive on and don't eat at the Shell station next door (they do serve food strangely)
  • Stayed July 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Rita R

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (5)
Reviewed 27 April 2013 via mobile

I am the lady that the manager tried to open her door at 3:00am. I am still having bad dreams about this incident . He knew a single woman was registered in that room! What were his intentions? He is one sorry example for a manager!! If I hadn't had the door latched over what would have happened? I don't want to meet my end at the Motel 6 in Decatur,Alabama! Get rid of him! He is a danger! I should have called the Police and lodged a complaint at the very least. Avoid this hotel!!!

• Stayed March 2013
3 Thank 195508

Travellers are raving about these Decatur hotels

Reviewed 23 March 2013

I was woke up at 3:00AM by a pounding on what I thought was the neighbor's door. Next thing I hear is someone trying to enter my room with a key card. I screamed the man at the door said who is this I gave him my last name and asked who he is Manager he said I need to come to the office and pay for my room I got dressed went and paid Every hotel I have ever been they take ur card and charges r made when u check out I LEFT that morning! RUDE RUDE RUDE I reported this incident to Corporate stay as far away from this hotel that U can, unless u want someone trying to enter ur room at 3:00AM!

• Stayed March 2013
2 Thank 195508
London, Ontario
Reviewed 12 January 2013

Couldn't believe the state of this room. Had to stay here for one night because of their open pet policy, unfortunately. The walls and rug were filthy, and I found two dead cockroaches on the floor beside the bed. Sprayed myself with bug spray before I went to sleep.
The inside of the microwave hadn't been cleaned in a long time.
This was horrible. I wonder if the health department should be alerted...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank Dan C
Ingersoll, Canada
Reviewed 9 January 2013

This is the dirtiest motel room I have ever stayed in. The walls are smeared with stains, the edges of the rugs are covered with dust bunnies... and there was a dead bedbug under the telephone receiver.
I normally stay at Motel 6's because of their pet policy, and I am normally quite pleased with them. Not this one!
I liked the no-charge wifi (normally Motel 6s charge extra for wifi), the room was huge, and I liked the fact that the room had a fridge and a microwave (not usual for Motel 6s). But I would've traded all that away for some cleanliness.
Now I'm worried that I'm bringing bedbugs home with me...

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
3 Thank 900Jakey
Reviewed 1 January 2013 via mobile

The only good thing about this place is the price $35.99 with coupon. I travel for a living and use Motel 6 often especially when traveling with pet. The location is bad meaning it's not close to interstate. This used to be a Days Inn a few years ago and they bulldozed it down and built this Motel 6 from ground up. It's now as bad as the Days Inn evet was. Coffee in the morning; forget it. The doors always remain locked until noon. I killed the biggest roaches I've ever seen. The rooms are outdated and nasty. Very few travelers just local people use this place. Lots of stuff going on here if you know what I mean. I paid for a week and was stuck. Take a mature 51 year old advise and pass this place up.

• Stayed December 2012
3 Thank harryscards
South Bend
Reviewed 20 December 2012

The ONLY good thing about this hotel was the price. I was travelling for business, needed to be economical on lodging, and always knew that Motel 6 was supposed to be a basic, clean place to stay for the night. I had been reading the reviews on this particular one and had some concern, but then there were a couple that had given a glimmer of hope. In addition, this motel is listed on the Motel 6 site as being "refreshed". You could have fooled me.

Immediately on checking in, the girl in the office had an attitude. Apparently I had disturbed her, as she was stretched out on the couch in the lobby on her phone. I got to my room, opened the door, and the first thing that hit was the smell. Not quite sure exactly what the smell was, but it wasn't pleasant. The carpet was filthy & worn, with spots all over, furniture very dated, outlet covers missing. Not a good first impression. 2nd thing I did was pull back the bed spread. It immediately went to the floor, because after seeing the spots on the underside of it, there's no way I was sleeping under it. Surprisingly, the sheets seemed ok,but the pillows were useless.

The walls in this room were filthy, cobwebs along the ceiling, dirty light switch plates, missing bar lock from the door. The bathroom was no better. Mold in the tub, gaps between the wall & the tub surround. I only had a short trip to go in the morning, and after seeing the towels & the condition of the bathroom, opted to skip a shower & use the one towel that was actually clean & spot free to take a sponge bath.

Finally on to TRY & get some sleep. If you like trains, this is the place for you. Between 2 & 3 in the morning, there were at least 3 that came through. Between the trains & the people outside, it wasn't a restful night.

I tried this place based on the chance that some of the latest reviews were accurate. I really have no clue which Motel 6 they stayed at, but the side of the building I was in was horrible. I should have driven to the next exit..

I realize this is a 'value' hotel, however, this is NOT the Motel 6 of the past. I've paid about the same in other places and have had far better quality. I at least expect the place to be clean - especially after it's listed as "refreshed", which to me, means it's been updated to some extent.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business