“Horrible front desk”

Holiday Inn Express Fairhope
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Fairhope
Reviewed 3 March 2014

My wife go to a Mardi Gras ball in Fairhope ever year and I have stayed at this Inn the same weekend for the last 7 years without a problem. This year was different though.

We had reservations and when we arrived we waited in line at the front desk. I asked if we could have a room near some friends that were already checked in. We were told we could not and our room was not ready, although it would be in 15 minutes. We were also told that we could not check in until the room was ready and that we would have to come back to the front desk and wait in line again when it was.

I was unhappy but I promised my wife I would wait the 15 minutes we were told it would take to get our room ready. While we sat there waiting I watched 3 other people check in and get a room. That really pissed me off. So after waiting 15 minutes I asked about my room again and was told that it still was not ready and one of the clerks was checking on it. I asked how others had been able to check in when we were not and was told that their rooms were ready and ours wasn't. Then I told the clerk to give me one of the rooms that was ready and was told that they were for people that hadn't arrived yet. I was about to go ballistic.

I worked my way through college at the front desk of a hotel and I know how this works. The clerks had assigned rooms at the beginning of their shift and were not willing to reassign them because it was too much trouble. When I worked the front desk and we had assigned a room to someone I would have made every effort to reassign a room to move someone closer to a friend staying at the hotel and I would NEVER have had someone wait on a room to be made up when there were others that were ready.

I addition, to the front desk problems, our door key didn't work, the hair dryer in our room didn't work, and the ice maker on our floor didn't work.

Next year we will stay somewhere else.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Quartz2337
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fairhope, responded to this reviewResponded 18 March 2014

Dear Quartz2337,

Thank you so much for your candid review of our hotel. I am deeply sorry for the unacceptable service you have received from our staff. I assure you that this is not the norm you should expect from our hotel. The feedback we receive from our valued guests, like you, enables us to target problem areas and take the necessary actions to ensure similar situations can be avoided in the future. We appreciate the candid feedback we receive and welcome any opportunity to improve.

Janice A

Reviewed 13 February 2014

Room was clean and large. Breakfast ok. Great cookies at night. Price at hotel higher than online sites . This hotel was not as plush as some of the chain is
Not many hotels in FairHope, so it is one of best there.

• Stayed: February 2014
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fairhope, responded to this reviewResponded 28 February 2014

Dear Alabamabusybee,

Ferdinand G

Reviewed 18 January 2014

We spent one night at the hotel. The hotel is right next to a Burger King....nice for some late night ice cream. The beds were VERY comfortable. We are a family of 5. Usually, we get a room with 2 queens and a roll away bed that barely fits in the room. This suite was so nice! There was a separate "living room" area. The couch pulled out for another bed. It wasn't too much more than a regular room. We loved it! The bathroom fan was a little loud but no other complaints!

Room Tip: Spend the few extra bucks for the suite!
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 January 2014

I want to take the opportunity to express my gratitude and appreciation to the staff of this hotel. Racheal Mcbride and her staff were wonderful. We had apx 20-30 family members stay at this hotel. The banquet room was used for our rehersel dinner and allowed everyone in our party to stay within a couple of feet of their rooms. Thanks again for the excellent stay and we will return.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 4 January 2014

Upon check in staff very accommodating. However carpet in rooms is very soiled. As owners of a commercial cleaning service(23 yrs) we clean carpet for all of Mr Bb Patels hotels in Laurel & Hattiesburg. Never seen any this soiled. Breakfast was a disaster. It was New Years morning and 45 min prior to end out of practically everything. When I went to front desk to report it sign stating staff was unavailable helping guest. After a 5 min of going back and forth to front desk CALLED from my cell. Told the girl the situation. She came in and replaced 1 coffee pot, cleaning up trash bins looked @ food or should I say glanced and walked out . Never to return. Lot of disgusted people. Loved our room suite # 303 great price, comfortable clean beds but dirty carpet.

• Stayed: December 2013
1  Thank Cwalsworth
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Holiday Inn Express Fairhope, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2014

Dear Cwalsworth,

Thank you for taking the time to review our property. We deeply value our guest feedback as they help us improve, and continually provide the best guest experience possible. We are sorry our hotel did not live up to your expectations and regret that you were not satisfied with the room cleanliness and the breakfast. Though we would prefer you had a better experience at our hotel, we would like to thank you for sharing your thoughts and hope you will give us the opportunity to serve you again in the future.

Karen C

Reviewed 26 December 2013

Our family of four had a home fire on the 7th of december and we stayed at the holiday inn express in Fairhope until the 27th. We could not have asked for a more friendly staff and always helpful to us.
We owe a special thanks to the staff , Matthew, Sharla ,Domnic, Flora, John, Phnita , and another John.
We had our Christmas at the Holiday Inn with the help of the staff for our two young boys otherwise we would not have had any place to go.
I would recommend this Holiday Inn to anyone traveling and needed a friendly place to stay.

To the staff i give them A FIVE STAR RATING

L.G.B.

Room Tip: third floor north windows
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank Louis B
Reviewed 13 December 2013

My wife and I travel a lot and I can honestly say I've never met a manager that treated us the way John here did, He checked us in, helped with our luggage and we were shocked to see him the next morning serving coffee and working in the breakfast area, He remembered our names and made us feel appreciated. We loved the service so much we stayed an extra night. I understand the hotel will be renovating but the customer service here is unmatched.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank JT P
Also consider these accommodations in or near Fairhope
Key West Inn
Fairfield Inn & Suites Mobile Daphne/Eastern Shore
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
Staybridge Suites Gulf Shores
#1 of 25 in Gulf Shores

Been to Holiday Inn Express Fairhope? Share your experiences!