“The BEST restaurant in Fairhope, hands down!”
Review of Tamara's Downtown

Tamara's Downtown
Ranked #10 of 112 Restaurants in Fairhope
Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
DuBois, Pennsylvania
“The BEST restaurant in Fairhope, hands down!”
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was greeted at my table by the owner herself and given all the specials that were incredible, I just didn't know what to choose.
The menu has a great selection of just about anything you can think of, but their crab encrusted grouper with a 3 cheese sauce was out of this world.
I also took a bread pudding to go and it was so good that I hated to see the bottom of my to go box!
You will not be disappointed when you dine at Tamara's!

Visited March 2014

Mandeville, LA
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Has Potential”
Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our party of four dined for dinner last night. When we phoned to obtain reservations, we were told that they were not accepting reservations that evening due to the Arts Festival, but that the crowd was moving quickly. The gentleman did not seem to eager in encouraging us to dine . We decided to drive in and give it a try as we were limited in our time and knowledge of other options. While we were waiting for a table at the bar, a gentleman came in and spoke with a male behind the bar with whom he seemed familiar and stated that he had left a message on the machine . After asking how many in the party (6), his party was immediately seated. I get that as we also have a local favorite dining spot where we afforded special seating---discretion is important in not offending other patrons.. The dining area and bar area had a nice vibe and as mentioned by a previous poster, the artwork hanging from rafters was a nice touch. The mason jars of some type of skin care product at the reception area was strange. My daughter, a hospitality management major, immediately noticed while seated at the bar) that the area where the kitchen puts out the orders had a sink and a trash can directly under it where the pick ups are made- strange and visually displeasing. While our food was generally average or suitable, our service was poor. We ordered a doz oysters on the half shell as an appetizer which was delicious. However, when brought to the table, the waitress verbalize," so how do you all want to arrange this? " So, we, ourselves, moved the water glasses, cocktail glasses (most were empty), silverware, bread basket and individual plates, votive, and stacked the empty bread plates ourselves so that she could place in the middle of the table. We then requested crackers, but had to ask an additional time to obtain. The wait time between delivery of the oysters and the waitress returning to take our main order , or any additional drink orders, was unacceptable at 30 minutes. Salads arrived early after the order taken which was a plus. We were never offered any additional bread during the wait. While the others enjoyed their salads (house and Caesar), I was disappointed with the iceberg bleu cheese wedge. It was dribbled with only a few pieces of cheese and then a small drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette. It paled in comparison to a "real" bleu cheese wedge that I had the night before in our hone town. Our entrees arrived at individual servings. One of us received the seafood pasta dish, which she enjoyed, but we had to urge her to go ahead after waiting for 1o minutes without our entrees arriving. Then, a side order of gouda grits were delivered to me- no entrée. Eventually, my daughter's entrée was delivered and then followed by husband's and mine. This made for awkward dinging and conversation.

The prime rib, filet mignon, seafood pasta and sides were all very good, but the pace and quality of service paled significantly. We were not asked about dessert, but after being there for 3 HOURS, no need.

My suggestion to the owner, after researching, maybe consider only operating one venue and seek to do that superiorly rather than doing that mediocre. Again, this establishment has possibilities---work to improve.

• Visited March 2014
1 Thank J5CUB
Fairhope, Alabama
“Mediocre Wannabe”
Reviewed 4 March 2014 via mobile

Tamara has tried to secure all of the prime downtown Fairhope real estate for restaurants. It would be a good thing if she learned how to run a restaurant. The food has improved at Tamara's downtown, but it's still only mediocre. They do have a beautiful bar, and the bartenders and servers are very pleasant.

• Visited February 2014
1 Thank WallytheK
Louisiana
“Excellent Restaurant in Fairhope”
Reviewed 3 March 2014 via mobile

We are here around three but were able to dine off the dinner menu. We started with crab cakes as an app. The two cakes were fairly large and was basically full of crab--no fillers here!! My wife had grilled scallops with risotto and crisp spinach. It was delicious! I had the grouper over mashed potatoes covered with crabmeat. The crisper was crisp and moist. It needed a little more seasoning but that was my taste. It was accompanied with crisp spinach also. We were both full so we did go for desert. Perhaps next time. We really enjoyed the food but the special treat was being waited on by Tamara herself--very nice outgoing lady. We'll be back on our next trip through Fairhope!!

1 Thank Hortman55
Memphis
“Very Nice”
Reviewed 20 January 2014 via mobile

We stopped in for cocktails and a snack. The waitress was very nice and friendly. Good drinks and atmosphere. Will go back again.

Visited January 2014