“Overrated”

Cuisines: Seafood
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Lunch, After-hours, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed 8 June 2014 via mobile

We ate here for brunch and were really disappointed with the quality for the price. Everything was under seasoned. Even my husband who never salts anything, asked for the shaker. I don't recommend it. Hit up Pinzone's or one of the much better restaurants in Fairhope.

1  Thank Melody7287

Reviewed 20 May 2014

We went to Tamara's on a Friday evening and barely had to wait for a table. Every table was full, but we went late enough to be seated quickly. There was a saxophone player that night who was pretty good and just added to the nice experience. Our service was INCREDIBLE. Chelsea was fun and polite, but very real at the same time. There were a couple of large parties that ordered ahead of us, and she apologized a few times for our wait. She also misheard my drink order, served the wrong drink, but let us keep it for free and discounted the correct drink due to her mistake. Neither one of us ran out of drinking water, but none of the waiters or waitresses hovered at our table. I had the Jubilee pasta that had the best alfredo sauce I've ever had in a restaurant and a lot of really fresh seafood. My husband had the special of the evening, which was crab encrusted grouper, and he loved it. It was an excellent date night, and we will be going back!

Reviewed 3 May 2014

When you go to Tamara's make sure you look up at all the hanging art on the ceiling. I had the grouper special and it was delicious, artfully presented, and very reasonable at $13. A lot more reasonable that the $24.99 special I had at Wintzell's a couple of nights earlier. The pecan pie, made with local Baldwin County pecans, is well-worth the calories. The service was very friendly and attentive. Our servers had conversations with us and were very respectful always saying ma'am and sir. Good place to try if in Fairhope. They have a terrific brunch on Sundays with make-your-own bloody marys and mimosas, but they don't have it on Saturday, which is when we went.

1  Thank flaneur40
Reviewed 19 March 2014

I was greeted at my table by the owner herself and given all the specials that were incredible, I just didn't know what to choose.
The menu has a great selection of just about anything you can think of, but their crab encrusted grouper with a 3 cheese sauce was out of this world.
I also took a bread pudding to go and it was so good that I hated to see the bottom of my to go box!
You will not be disappointed when you dine at Tamara's!

Reviewed 16 March 2014

Our party of four dined for dinner last night. When we phoned to obtain reservations, we were told that they were not accepting reservations that evening due to the Arts Festival, but that the crowd was moving quickly. The gentleman did not seem to eager in encouraging us to dine . We decided to drive in and give it a try as we were limited in our time and knowledge of other options. While we were waiting for a table at the bar, a gentleman came in and spoke with a male behind the bar with whom he seemed familiar and stated that he had left a message on the machine . After asking how many in the party (6), his party was immediately seated. I get that as we also have a local favorite dining spot where we afforded special seating---discretion is important in not offending other patrons.. The dining area and bar area had a nice vibe and as mentioned by a previous poster, the artwork hanging from rafters was a nice touch. The mason jars of some type of skin care product at the reception area was strange. My daughter, a hospitality management major, immediately noticed while seated at the bar) that the area where the kitchen puts out the orders had a sink and a trash can directly under it where the pick ups are made- strange and visually displeasing. While our food was generally average or suitable, our service was poor. We ordered a doz oysters on the half shell as an appetizer which was delicious. However, when brought to the table, the waitress verbalize," so how do you all want to arrange this? " So, we, ourselves, moved the water glasses, cocktail glasses (most were empty), silverware, bread basket and individual plates, votive, and stacked the empty bread plates ourselves so that she could place in the middle of the table. We then requested crackers, but had to ask an additional time to obtain. The wait time between delivery of the oysters and the waitress returning to take our main order , or any additional drink orders, was unacceptable at 30 minutes. Salads arrived early after the order taken which was a plus. We were never offered any additional bread during the wait. While the others enjoyed their salads (house and Caesar), I was disappointed with the iceberg bleu cheese wedge. It was dribbled with only a few pieces of cheese and then a small drizzle of raspberry vinaigrette. It paled in comparison to a "real" bleu cheese wedge that I had the night before in our hone town. Our entrees arrived at individual servings. One of us received the seafood pasta dish, which she enjoyed, but we had to urge her to go ahead after waiting for 1o minutes without our entrees arriving. Then, a side order of gouda grits were delivered to me- no entrée. Eventually, my daughter's entrée was delivered and then followed by husband's and mine. This made for awkward dinging and conversation.

The prime rib, filet mignon, seafood pasta and sides were all very good, but the pace and quality of service paled significantly. We were not asked about dessert, but after being there for 3 HOURS, no need.

My suggestion to the owner, after researching, maybe consider only operating one venue and seek to do that superiorly rather than doing that mediocre. Again, this establishment has possibilities---work to improve.

1  Thank J5CUB

Been to Tamara's Downtown? Share your experiences!