My fiancé and I were in bed watching television and I looked over and saw a bug crawling on the pillow only inches away from his face! We immediately got out of bed and he saw another one on the back of my pajama shirt.
We called the front desk and a 20-something year old security person came up. When he saw the one from my shirt he said it was a tick. Instead of saving it to show someone, he threw it out in the bathroom! Thank goodness we saved the other one in a glass. I showed him the one in the glass and the two others that were also on the pillow.
He asked what he could do for us, and I told him he could start with getting us a new room. He was able to do that for us. However, when I called downstairs to speak with the night manager, he told me he couldn’t do anything until 6:30am the next morning because that was when someone would be there to look at the bug we saved.
The next morning we went to the front desk and the LP Manager came out to speak with us. She was very apologetic. Due to family commitments we had to stay at the hotel another night, so she offered to credit the second night’s stay. This is what I expected, and was pleased with this response. However then she told me what we found were not bed bugs, but beetles! I explained how there were a number of them, but she insisted they were beetles. I have to say I disagree – I did some research on the web and the photographs I found looked exactly like what we found in our room.
Of course after such an event, every spot, stain, lint becomes a check for “is it another bug”? No, we did not find any more bugs, but what we did notice is the lack of cleaning. Urine around the base of the toilet, the bathroom floor did not appear to be mopped for several days. The next morning, in the Swamper’s restaurant, French Fries on the floor, at breakfast! Did no one sweep/vacuum the floor from the night before? Straws and food scraps around on the pool deck, where no one had swept/cleaned the pool deck and area. In the 2 days and 2 nights we were there, only once did I see a person with a broom attempting to clean up an area.
Even though the LP manager was very accommodating after the incident, I definitely wouldn’t stay at this hotel again.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- The sophistication and charm of Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa is matched only by the natural beauty of its resort-style setting. Our hotel in Florence, Alabama is: * Located in the state’s northwest corner * Nestled along the award-winning Robert Trent Jones Golf Trail * Set in the heart of the Tennessee River Valley, one hour from Huntsville * Less than two hours from Birmingham, Nashville, and Memphis ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Marriott, Expedia, Hotels.com, Booking.com, Evoline ltd, HotelQuickly and Cancelon so you can book your Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Marriott Shoals Hotel Florence
- Marriott Shoals Hotel And Spa
- Marriott Florence
- Florence Marriott