“A pleasant surprise” 4 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #1 of 11 Hotels in Florence
Houston
“A pleasant surprise”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2014

I had no idea what to expect in respect to hotels in the Florence area. We were there for a funeral in nearby Killen. I was pleasantly surprised with the Marriott Shoals. It had a lovely pool and a lively restaurant/bar (Swampy's). Also a nice workout room with indoor pool. They advertised their spa although I did not have the opportunity to visit it. The room was clean and had a view of the river. The price was reasonable. My husband visited the elevated 360 degree view rotating restaurant and the food was average and pricey. No advantage to going after dark but the service was good.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 4 of 5 bubbles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
Birmingham, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 August 2014

ALL class and comfort! A high-end property, with a warm glow, nice sized rooms and gorgeous landscaping views -this is it! Staff is attentive, helpful and friendly- minutes from downtown Florence where there are all types of cuisine for the traveling 'Foodies'. Recommend the 360 Grille for a sunset dinner, (which is an all glass, revolving restaurant connected to the Shoals hotel and provides breathtaking views of the entire area).
Very unique and pristine- First class in everyway and your entire experience will make you want to go back for 'second's'.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
Madison, Mississippi
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014 via mobile

Once you get there, this hotel is surprisingly fantastic. Great rooms. Impeccable service. Fun pool. Wonderful spa. Even the flying saucer revolving restaurant is entertaining. Have been twice and will go again, as long as someone else drives.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Muscle Shoals, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 August 2014

I had the pleasure of staying in one of their suites (Handy), and it was awesome. the hotel staff were great, and I enjoyed both the bar and the restaurant. the nearby attractions were very nice. Just a great staycation away from home.

Room Tip: Be sure to get a room with a view of the river, awesome.
  • Stayed August 2014, travelled with friends
boston
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 August 2014

Everything is first rate and staff we have encountered have been very pleasant. The facility is beautiful with a wonderful view of the are off the balcony You should Prepare yourself for a wonderful stay.

• Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
Williamsport TN
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 August 2014

We stayed 2 nights during the W C Handy Music festival. It's a great place to stay and a great little town. All the rooms have a view of the river and damn. They have a great pool for kids. We really enjoyed our stay.

Room Tip: Make sure you get a room as high up as possible to get the best view.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 July 2014

My fiancé and I were in bed watching television and I looked over and saw a bug crawling on the pillow only inches away from his face! We immediately got out of bed and he saw another one on the back of my pajama shirt.

We called the front desk and a 20-something year old security person came up. When he saw the one from my shirt he said it was a tick. Instead of saving it to show someone, he threw it out in the bathroom! Thank goodness we saved the other one in a glass. I showed him the one in the glass and the two others that were also on the pillow.

He asked what he could do for us, and I told him he could start with getting us a new room. He was able to do that for us. However, when I called downstairs to speak with the night manager, he told me he couldn’t do anything until 6:30am the next morning because that was when someone would be there to look at the bug we saved.

The next morning we went to the front desk and the LP Manager came out to speak with us. She was very apologetic. Due to family commitments we had to stay at the hotel another night, so she offered to credit the second night’s stay. This is what I expected, and was pleased with this response. However then she told me what we found were not bed bugs, but beetles! I explained how there were a number of them, but she insisted they were beetles. I have to say I disagree – I did some research on the web and the photographs I found looked exactly like what we found in our room.

Of course after such an event, every spot, stain, lint becomes a check for “is it another bug”? No, we did not find any more bugs, but what we did notice is the lack of cleaning. Urine around the base of the toilet, the bathroom floor did not appear to be mopped for several days. The next morning, in the Swamper’s restaurant, French Fries on the floor, at breakfast! Did no one sweep/vacuum the floor from the night before? Straws and food scraps around on the pool deck, where no one had swept/cleaned the pool deck and area. In the 2 days and 2 nights we were there, only once did I see a person with a broom attempting to clean up an area.
Even though the LP manager was very accommodating after the incident, I definitely wouldn’t stay at this hotel again.

Room Tip: Don't stay in room 1222
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
      Location
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Tracey L
Shoals_GM, General Manager at Marriott Shoals Hotel & Spa, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Thank you for choosing the Marriott Shoals. I deeply regret that your experience was a negative one. I would like to apologize for any inconvenience that you may have experienced. I also wanted to assure you that we take this matter very seriously. We contract with Ecolab for our pest control needs. We have had your room inspected after you notified us of this issue and I am pleased to announce that they found no evidence of bed bugs and have certified the room safe for occupancy. I can’t explain what types of bugs that you experienced in your room. Obviously, this is inexcusable and I am glad that my staff reacted appropriately by adjusting the charges for your room. We take great pride in our service and strive to make every guest experience perfect. I assure you that your experience with us was not typical. For the past 3 years we have been ranked as the #1 Marriott in North America for customer satisfaction and our cleanliness scores have always been among the top in the company ever since we have opened. I hope that you will give us another chance and be our guest again.