“Rude and Dumb Employee”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Fultondale Birmingham North
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Fultondale
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Our room was very humid. Not hot, but the sheets even felt wet, like they were not completely dry when put on. Mold in the shower, and the back of the bathroom door was dirty, stained and smelled like urine. I have pics of these. I was also talked down to and publicly humiliated by an employee (could have been the manager) at breakfast in the morning when I asked where the coffee was. When I checked in the night before, it was located in the lobby, and when looking for it near the other 3 available beverages in the breakfast room in the morning, it was not there. The employee was very condescending to me as she told me that it would be "in the breakfast area with the breakfast sir". She was an ogre. I will saw that the girl preparing and serving breakfast was very polite and greeted everyone that came into the room and asked how they were.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

Reviewed 18 July 2013

I always choose LaQuinta Inns due to their pet friendly policy. I show my dogs in Obedience, travel twice a month, and until this LaQuinta, I have never had a problem with a motel refusing to let us stay due to my dog.

We were travelling home from vacation and booked two rooms. Upon our arrival at midnight, we were informed that my dog would not be allowed to stay due to her breed (Doberman Pinscher). I was told they have 'Breed Specific' rules, and my dog is a banned breed. I asked the clerk if it mattered that her stableness of temperament has been more than proven by her multiple Obedience titles along with being a registered Therapy dog. The clerk called the manager, who then told her to call the owner. The final answer was 'it doesn't matter, it's still a doberman'. The clerk cancelled our rooms, we then had to travel an hour north before finding a motel with available rooms.

Not only was it exhausting for us, but we had my 84 year old mother with us. She was fatigued, as it was midnight when we arrived, and 1am before we found another motel.

I contacted LQ corporate about this so-called 'pet-friendly' motel not listing on the website that they are breed-specific, as that is important information for those with dogs. Corporate forwarded my complaint to the manager of this LQ. I received a voice mail from her stating that the details of my dog were not known at the time we were turned away. This is not true, as I was listening to every word the clerk told her when she was called. The manager then told me on the voice mail to return her call so we could discuss my complaint, and all though I've tried several times, I always get the same answer - "who is calling? - she's not available..." I think she's dodging my calls, then I'm sure she'll tell Corporate that she 'tried' to contact me, but I never returned her call.

I recommend driving another 20 miles south to the LQ Hoover. We've been staying there for years and NEVER had a problem. Avoid this LQ, they are NOT pet-friendly, and you might just get a midnight surprise like we did and not be allowed to check-in to your booked room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cddobe
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The staff at the La quinta Inn & Suites were very nice and friendly. Always very helpful. Great location. Plenty of restaurants close by. The free breakfast was very good. Good variety.

The room we stayed in had a very strong dog odor. Since we had our Cocker with us, we couldn't complain. Probably not all rooms are like this, just the ones that they allow pets in. The overall cleanliness was not up to what it should be. Not bad but could have been better.
Would stay again, but in a room where pets aren't allowed and leave my board my dog.

Room Tip: Request room where pets aren't allowed.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 14 June 2013 via mobile

I have been staying at La Quinta's for a long time since I travel with dogs. I have never had a bad experience until my stay at this hotel. Upon checking in one clerk said to the other "are you sure this rooms problems are resolved? The other clerk said oh yes it is." But I eventually found out that they were not. The toilet was not sealed to the ground which made it rocky & leak!!! Disgusting!!! Also there was no shower head or bath tub head. How do you rent a room without a working bath? When telling this to the clerk she said she will get someone to fix it. When it was eventually fixed, I took my shower only to have it give out mid shower with soap all over myself. After taking the rest of my shower in the sink. I processed to tell the clerk about the persistent issue. She went on to blame it in other guests who had stayed in the room. I don't want excuses, just solutions. She also went on to complain about other guests staying that night. Never once did she even apologize or express any sympathy. Not that I need it but its customary in a customer service position. At the end of my stay I was over charged $20 for the night. Once again blame was put on someone else. This was my worst experience at a hotel especially for a 12 hr stay. I should have driven the 2 extra hrs to Nashville instead of stoping. I would highly recommend that La Quinta looks into this hotel because it is far below the standards of any other one I have stayed at & predict I would ever stay at. Terrible service and rooms. My suggestion is drive on to the next hotel. Plenty more in the area. Also pool was broken.

• Stayed: June 2013
1  Thank Chris F
Reviewed 10 June 2013

This Hotel is relatively new,Around six, or seven years old.It is slightly north of Birmingham,In an area that offers a choice of a number of Hotels. There is a shopping mall near-by,and an abundance of restaurants also, The grounds have a lot of green spaces, and flower beds,with flowering shrubs, and cacti.I arrived a bit early,but the front desk staff arranged to have a room made up for me, in less than 30 minutes. The room, itself, was nicely laid out,with king bed,easy chair,work station,fridge,and micro,and a real coffee maker. I was greeted warmly,and offered any assistance, to make my stay better. There is always fresh hot coffee offered in the lobby, and in the evening,cookies are offered, as well. Breakfast gave you a choice of biscuits,and gravy,scrambled eggs,and sausage patties.There was also a selection of cereals,bread,and rolls,bagels and cheese,yogurt,fresh fruit,and juices and plenty of hot coffee. I consider this stay, a winner! Jerry..Paris Ontario...Canada

Room Tip: Avoid first floor rooms near fitness center,or elevator, or close to ice machines
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 May 2013

Great location, friendly staff, well maintained, comfy beds, wonderful full breakfast, quiet. Before our stay we checked the reviews and found most were favorable but some were not. Of course everything isn't going to be perfect but this hotel was a winner and our stay was excellent. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 27 April 2013

my fiancée and I wanted to get away for the weekend ,so we decided to stay here, it's a very nice and clean place but its a smoke free hotel, we did not know that until it was to late and the person at the front desk didn't say nothing, they do have a non smoking sign at the lobby it's says not smoking it doesn't say smoke free hotel. we found out until we got in our room and we saw a sign saying that there's a $250 fine if u smoke. ok what's not fair to me is that is a pet friendly hotel and we saw people coming with one, two, and even three dogs...and that nice I love dogs too...we have one!! and I know they shed, pee, poop, slobber and smell but we can't smoke. that's bull$#%! NOT FAIR!!!

• Stayed: April 2013, travelled as a couple