“Standards slipping”

La Quinta Inn & Suites Fultondale Birmingham North
Ranked #5 of 8 Hotels in Fultondale
Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

We have stayed at this pet friendly facility several times. Usually it is a five star experience. The last visit was disappointing. There seemed to be little attention to details. The Kleenex box was empty. There way no plastic wrap in ice container. There was an odor in the lobby. The front office staff were pleasant and breakfast very nice. We sense a change in management or a little indifference that was not there in the past.

Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family

Reviewed 9 October 2013 via mobile

We needed a place to stay a couple of nights close to Birmingham, not to expensive with breakfast, and an indoor pool for the kids to burn off energy. They fit the need in every way and exceed it . The rate was lower by a little than the surrounding hotels. They had a full hot breakfast with gravy, biscuits, sausage, waffles , not just continental . The staff was great . Laura the evening desk clerk was super even gave us a room closer to the pool for the kids. I will stay again.

Stayed: October 2013
Reviewed 19 September 2013

The La Quinta was in an excellent location- by major businesses and restaurants but nestled just outside of the main street which ensured a peaceful night sleep. Having an indoor pool was an added advantage. The pool was small, but very clean. My toddler and I enjoyed the pool very much. I would definitely stay here again and recommend this hotel to my friends. (very pet friendly)

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 9 September 2013

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 2 August 2013

Our room was very humid. Not hot, but the sheets even felt wet, like they were not completely dry when put on. Mold in the shower, and the back of the bathroom door was dirty, stained and smelled like urine. I have pics of these. I was also talked down to and publicly humiliated by an employee (could have been the manager) at breakfast in the morning when I asked where the coffee was. When I checked in the night before, it was located in the lobby, and when looking for it near the other 3 available beverages in the breakfast room in the morning, it was not there. The employee was very condescending to me as she told me that it would be "in the breakfast area with the breakfast sir". She was an ogre. I will saw that the girl preparing and serving breakfast was very polite and greeted everyone that came into the room and asked how they were.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 18 July 2013

I always choose LaQuinta Inns due to their pet friendly policy. I show my dogs in Obedience, travel twice a month, and until this LaQuinta, I have never had a problem with a motel refusing to let us stay due to my dog.

We were travelling home from vacation and booked two rooms. Upon our arrival at midnight, we were informed that my dog would not be allowed to stay due to her breed (Doberman Pinscher). I was told they have 'Breed Specific' rules, and my dog is a banned breed. I asked the clerk if it mattered that her stableness of temperament has been more than proven by her multiple Obedience titles along with being a registered Therapy dog. The clerk called the manager, who then told her to call the owner. The final answer was 'it doesn't matter, it's still a doberman'. The clerk cancelled our rooms, we then had to travel an hour north before finding a motel with available rooms.

Not only was it exhausting for us, but we had my 84 year old mother with us. She was fatigued, as it was midnight when we arrived, and 1am before we found another motel.

I contacted LQ corporate about this so-called 'pet-friendly' motel not listing on the website that they are breed-specific, as that is important information for those with dogs. Corporate forwarded my complaint to the manager of this LQ. I received a voice mail from her stating that the details of my dog were not known at the time we were turned away. This is not true, as I was listening to every word the clerk told her when she was called. The manager then told me on the voice mail to return her call so we could discuss my complaint, and all though I've tried several times, I always get the same answer - "who is calling? - she's not available..." I think she's dodging my calls, then I'm sure she'll tell Corporate that she 'tried' to contact me, but I never returned her call.

I recommend driving another 20 miles south to the LQ Hoover. We've been staying there for years and NEVER had a problem. Avoid this LQ, they are NOT pet-friendly, and you might just get a midnight surprise like we did and not be allowed to check-in to your booked room.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank cddobe
Reviewed 20 June 2013

The staff at the La quinta Inn & Suites were very nice and friendly. Always very helpful. Great location. Plenty of restaurants close by. The free breakfast was very good. Good variety.

The room we stayed in had a very strong dog odor. Since we had our Cocker with us, we couldn't complain. Probably not all rooms are like this, just the ones that they allow pets in. The overall cleanliness was not up to what it should be. Not bad but could have been better.
Would stay again, but in a room where pets aren't allowed and leave my board my dog.

Room Tip: Request room where pets aren't allowed.