“Very Bad Experience”

Ranked #5 of 13 Hotels in Gadsden
South Carolina
“Very Bad Experience”
Reviewed 5 June 2012

I had one of THE worst nights I've ever had at any hotel. After a long day of work and five+ hours of travel on the road, I got ready for bed at around 11:00 pm (which was midnight my time, where I live and had traveled from that day). I really needed rest because I had another full day coming up. But, the noise and chatter in the next room kept me up. Obviously, several people were over there, talking and enjoying themselves. I waited, tried to sleep, and the noise got progressively louder. Finally, when the noise had not subsided by midnight, I called the front desk and asked for some help. The gentleman called me back a couple minutes later saying he had called the room and the problem was taken care of. But, it wasn't. Things got louder. And the noise and chatter an laughter and voices filtered out in to the hall just outside my door.

I called down stairs again, explained that I really needed some rest, really needed some help and that people who want to throw a part at what was now 12:30 am should not do so in a hotel room where others are hoping to sleep. He said he would go to the room and take care of it.

A half hour later, the noise was even louder an unbearable. In addition to the noise coming through the wall, it sounded as if a crowd had gathered outside my door. I didn't know what to do. So, I told my son to get dressed and I did the same. I packed up my suitcase and asked my son to do likewise. I called the guy at the front desk and told him that this was not acceptable. The gentleman basically implied that he didn't know what to do. My son and I then walked out of our room with our bags.

Outside my door were between 15 and 20 young people, college aged to early 20s, all but two or three of them male, mostly tall and athletic looking, and having a great time. When they all looked at me, I stopped and told them that I was sure they were great kids and were just trying to have a good time but that they were loud, this was a hotel where people were sleeping, that I had tried but could not sleep, and that they were very inconsiderate. The two women (in very low cut and short mini-dresses, high-high heels and tatoos everywhere) giggled. One or two of the guys apologized. And, my son and I went to the elevator and on down to the front desk.

I didn't know whether to insist that they get me a room at the Hampton Inn where I used to stay or to ask for a different room. The guy at the front desk was scared. He told me that he had gone up but it was "just me - one of me and fifty of them" and he was very intimidated. He apologized. I finally asked for another room. By now, it was well past 1:00 am. While he was working on getting keys for another room, people started emerging from the elevator. I counted 30 people walking outside. And, as it turned out, there were still others upstairs.

The new room was a king bed. We had just given up a room with two queen beds. My 14-year-old son, quite naturally, did not really want to share a bed with his dad. We had to ask and wait a long time to finally get a cot and then make the bed ourselves. We didn't get to bed until well after 2:00 am. And, I was so wound up that it took much longer for me to finally get to sleep.

It might have been a nice touch for the manager to have said something to us the next day, as we stayed yet another night. But, that didn't happen. An apology? An offer of some Marriott Points? Comping that night? Nothing.

In all fairness, I've previously stayed at this same hotel and have given it a favorable review on Trip Adviser. The hotel is a decent Fairfield Inn. The staff is nice. And, if you read my other hotel reviews, you will note that I am a reasonable person who almost always sees the good in places and is gracious an even generous with my reviews. This situation, though, was horrible. It was also a little frightening. There was plenty of reason to not feel safe.

I'm sure this was not an every Friday night occurrence. But, the hotel was totally UNequipped to handle this situation or to even reach out to a good customer who has stayed at their hotel several times and who is a Platinum level Marriott Rewards member.

It will be interesting to see whether anyone from the hotel sees fit to respond to this review.

My advice? Think twice about staying at this Fairfield Inn. As for me, I will think even longer and harder about whether I will ever return to this hotel.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Gretchen L, General Manager at Fairfield Inn & Suites Gadsden, responded to this review, 11 June 2012
Dear GlobalNomadTCK,
I am so pleased I had the opportunity to speak with you directly regarding your stay at our hotel and want to thank you again for taking the time to share your concerns with me. You are absolutely right in your assessment that the experience you had during your stay was not the normal Marriott standard that you should expect. Please know that we are committed to not only meeting the high standards that you have come to expect as a very valued Platinum Marriott Rewards member, but to surpassing them. We truly apologize for all of the inconveniences and hope the compensation offered will help to minimize what you endured.
I conducted a meeting with our Guest Service Agents to properly coach and train each person how to handle such situations should they arise again. We want to ensure all guests are satisfied with our hotel’s accommodations and have confidence in the service we provide.
Mr. GlobalNomadTCK, I thank you again for your time and comments. I invite you to stay with us the next time you are in Gadsden and I guarantee that we will make it a wonderful experience for you. I will keep an eye out for your next reservation with us, but please feel free to reach out to me directly the next time you plan to stay with us.

Gretchen Lowe
Fairfield Inn & Suites Gadsden

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (29)
Port Lavaca, Texas
Reviewed 31 May 2012

This is a nice hotel with friendly staff. Close to Cracker Barrel and Ruby Tuesdays. The room was very clean and comfortable, wifi was fast, but the best part was the wonderful hot breakfast. Just about anything you would want. We would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
Hattiesburg, Mississippi
Reviewed 24 May 2012

Enjoyed our stay here. It was so clean and comfortable. We heard no outside noise in the room.
The staff was very friendly and helpful. Will stop again when we go that way.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
Corryton, Tennessee
Reviewed 26 April 2012

This place is amazing. Not only is it very clean they have a great breakfast. All the staff were so friendly and seem to enjoy what they do and it shows. I highly recommend staying here.Every thing is very new and bright. They are in a great location. The pool and hot tub area was also very nice.

Room Tip: The rooms that look out over pool area are great.
  • Stayed April 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Terrydebusk
Hopkinsville, Kentucky
Reviewed 17 March 2012

I had some extra reward points and was headed south so I decided to use them here. Hotel is very modern, clean and bright. Free breakfast was better than most. I recommend this hotel.

• Stayed March 2012
Helena, Al
Reviewed 12 March 2012

We really enjoyed our stay at this hotel.The staff was very helpful with maps & directions to places to go. The room was larger than we expected and the breakfast was phenomenal!
Scrambled eggs, sausage, biscuits with sausage gravy and even fresh fruit! The fireplace in the lobby went through the breakfast area and we could warm ourselves in front of it while watching TV. The Inn appeared to be new and very clean, inside & outside. Good lighted parking area with family oriented restaurants (Cracker Barrel, Ruby Tuesday, etc), nearby. The pool was exceptionally lovely to look at too but it was too cool to swim.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Kentuckiana
Reviewed 16 January 2012

We were taking an Alabama Lake tour, we were in Gadsden after a drive around Lake Weiss.
As I often do, I relied on tripadvisor to help me decide where to stay & was pleased with the result. This location is bright & shiny & new. Only 2 things didn't sit exactly right with me. I will share those here, yet it didn't bother me so much that I reported it to the hotel. First, the room we were in had been treated or sprayed with something to "freshen" it & it was strong- really strong. I thought maybe it was to cover the smell of all the new materials in the room. You know the toxic plastic smell that emits from new furniture & carpeting? This deodorizer smell clung to us, even when we went to dinner later, where our server commented that we smelled like a new car. The other issue was coffee. There was none when I needed an afternoon boost. However, when I asked the guy at the desk if he could get me a yogurt, even though there wasn't one in the market area, he found one for me. I appreciated that so much.
Several of the "conveniences" are now mostly the norm in this type of hotel. The wi-fi is great, especially with our reliance on smart phones these days. Their breakfast selection was sufficient. I'm a breakfast person, so I don't consider mere pastries to be breakfast. They offered "real food", as well as muffins, yogurt, cereals, juices & coffee. I needed to research & print some information on some real estate we found, so I used the computer in the business center. It was speedy & convenient.
The property is located near several other hotels. My guess is this is the newest of the choices & it will be hard to beat the value of this hotel. There are several restaurant chains in near proximity as well, giving you food options.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple