“Good for families, needs a little updating”
Review of The Beach Club

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Gulf Shores
The Beach Club
Ranked #5 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
St. Louis
“Good for families, needs a little updating”
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Pictures on VRBO were a little deceiving, but room turned out to be adequate since we spent a lot of time at pool and beach. We viewed the other rooms of our traveling friends and each condo was very inconsistent as far as amenities, decor, linens, etc. The rooms with the exception of one in our party could use a little updating, paint, TLC. We all stayed in the Bristol Tower. Each person commented that the rooms werent thoroughly cleaned by houskeeping staff which isnt a great first impression. Club House fee came with our rental but it seemed most people just followed someone in the gate who had a key without asking for verification on whether they belonged or not. Club House pool was crowded and they even chased you down to pay for a raft or floating turtle they had in a bin by the pool if a young kid dared to use it. Tacky! Bar at this pool is nice and lunch served there was great each day. The restaurant at the front entrance is nice with a good atmosphere with things for the kids to do but service is very poor. Took almost 3 hours to complete dinner. Didnt use tennis courts or some of the other amenities they provide such as volleyball court. Beach is very nice, but dont expect Destin type beautiful water in my opinion. On the other hand, its less crowded and more private. Main restaurant at the Club pricey but food just medicore. We decided to eat only at the Club House pool as it was consistenly good each time. Security is always present around the property which is nice. Not sure why a lot of the other pools didnt have umbrellas??? Hot tubs seem to get neglected as they were low on water and had some trash in it each day. Overall property is nice and good for families just needs a little work to justify room rates.

Room Tip: Anything 3 floors or above give you a good view of pool and beach.
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family
3 Thank blues03

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (127)
Chicago
Reviewed 6 August 2012

Pros first: Great if you like a VERY family focused vaca spot. An old room mate and I spend a weekend each year with our boys (7 this year) at a different spot. This year a friend suggested we use her condo at BC. I agreed before asking how much it would be as I thought it would be a "deal". So in that case I would not do that again, and would make sure I shopped prices. For what I paid I would normally have "more". Beach is lovely soft sand, the surf is mild and the patrons are all families with kids our age, so lots of play time. I stocked up on groceries (forgot salt/pepper, dishsoap...annoyances to go back to dollar store to get). There's a rest/bar on site which we had 1 drink at, but looked nice and newer. We ate "in" every meal and since hubby's weren't with, salads and light fare for kids was all good, so saved $$ on not eating at restaurants. Lots of kids were doing some fishing, looked like they were really enjoying. Normal stuff, buy your water toys, blow ups etc off property, the calm water is very nice for floating. Kids loved the sand castle building.

Cons: Again, my fault but compare prices, as stated there's VRBO, Meyer Realty, and Spectrum (the only one on site). The mild surf is nice for little kids, but "boogie boarding" and other fun requiring waves was pretty minimal. We had one day with lots of little biting somethings in the water and since the waves weren't big, they hung around longer than we thought they would. You have to pay extra for the pool with food/cocktails, work out rooms, indoor pool and hot tubs. And the close pool that you didn't have to pay more for was out of order (probably an "incident" in the pool" and unavailable for 24 hours. So, I would make sure the added amenities are included.

Also ran into a VERY bizarre incident with the "banana boat/parasailing" group on the beach. I walk up to their table (told later owner's daughter) and a blonde young woman is sitting at table. I asked what the water sports offered, she looked at me as if I was really troubling her asking these questions-no sign was posted so not sure how else I was to know. I asked if we needed a reservation...no, just come up if we're at table.

She said, "we're done for today-no more boat rides". (it was about 4:30p). My friend, trying to figure out a solution, said "so what time do you start tomorrow, can we make a reservation for then?". "We don't take reservations, we just run the boats until we have our last customer". "So how do we know when that is?" Again, nothing.

I'm not kidding when I say this is AL coast, southern kindness and nice people everywhere. I was dumbfounded, had I tripped and landed in snotty-20somethingville? Was I troubling her, done something to offend?

Next morning, AGAINST my will my friend went up to the driver (blonde absent) who apologized profusely, couldn't believe we had been treated so poorly. We had a blast, well worth it and the rest of the team was great. If you run into blonde, just talk to someone else.

• Stayed August 2012, travelled with family
4 Thank Kimbrahay
Reviewed 4 August 2012

I had never been to gulf shores, it was a nice suprize. At the last min. some friend suggested a quick beach trip, so we picked Beach Club Resort. The grounds are very pretty, we had some good food. My only complaint would be the room. A little run down compared to the rest of property. But in their defense it was less than a 24 notice and this was the only room available. Next time I'll look sooner. Over all it's been great!!!

• Stayed August 2012
1 Thank Mimmie09
Acworth, Georgia
Reviewed 1 August 2012

This is the third time we have stayed at The Beach Club. My kids would much rather stay here than in the Orange Beach or Destin areas. This is the first time we have stayed in the Bristol tower and it is our favorite. There are several beach volleyball courts and you can para-sail right at the resort instead of having to drive in to town. The restaurant at the club house has really good food. We called in a takeout order and it was ready in less than 30 minutes. All staff we have dealt with on this trip have been courteous and helpful.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Birmingham, Alabama
Reviewed 1 August 2012 via mobile

Property was well kept and staff are extremely helpful. However not all rooms in the same class are created equal. I came with a conference, so the rooms were selected and paid for-- except that we had decided to syay longer and pay for the balance. Our first room was ok, but not for $300+. It smelled faintly of smoke and it was old and in need of a facelift. We asked to change rooms; and were given a different room. What a difference. The unit was newer and had several upgrade features. So, if you can-- try to see your room online first. Several rooms have pictures via the co website. We stayed in bldg D, which I understand is the oldest. Plus, the resort is at least 15 min to a grocery store and about 25-30 min to a decent restaurant. They do have places to eat at the club; but we did not try any of them.

Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
Lafayette, Louisiana
Reviewed 25 July 2012

had a great time!! really nice place with great staff!! the rooms were very nice and the view was amazing right on the beach! its off the beaten path which makes it good less traffic.but yet close to everything..its great for everyone families and singles out having a good time everyone was so friendly that we didnt wanna leave! we will definatly be back and soon!

• Stayed July 2012, travelled with friends
Chesterfield, Missouri
Reviewed 21 July 2012

We hadn't been back to the Ocean Club since the oil spill so we were anxious to see if things had changed. Thankfully, very little has changed. We've stayed in numerous units over the years and everyone has been great. Since our extended family joined us this year, we stayed in a 4 bedroom unit in the Bristol. Four nicely appointed bed rooms, all with HD tv's. The living and dining area was large and nicely decorated. The views from the wrap around balcony were spectacular.

We rented a poolside cabana for the toddlers. It was great until late in the week when a family occupied the adjoining cabana and played their boom box (these things still exist?) excessively loudly. We also noted a number of boom boxes at the beach...something we hadn't experience in the past. Most people, when asked nicely, reduced the volume. Management should consider better management of poolside behavior, including the football wannabe's tossing footballs in the pool area.

The whole family had a great time' the beach and water were fantastic as were the pools (with the noted exceptions). We'll definitely go back.

Room Tip: We enjoy sitting on the balcony listening to the evening's entertainment at the club pool, so an...
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled with family