“Tolerable, at best.”

Ranked #21 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Anderson
“Tolerable, at best.”
Reviewed 29 June 2014

If you're looking for a cheap hotel, you found it. I was trying to be optimistic about this hotel after reading the other reviews. It was the cheapest hotel in the area so I figured we could just put up with it. The room smelled, felt dirty (we went and bought our own blanket from Target so we could avoid using their "comforter"). We did manage to get a kitchenette which was really great since we brought some drinks and sandwich stuff. So that was very convienent. The bed was extremely lumpy and uncomfortable. Our backs hurt every morning. The hotel just made us feel uncomfortable...not a place to kick back and relax. I cannot recommend this hotel to anyone. I would definitely recommend paying a little more. The only perk was that this hotel was in a great area with lots of activities nearby.

• Stayed June 2014
CHIGulfShores, Front Desk at Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores, responded to this review, 22 August 2015
We like to extend an apology for the unpleasant experience you had while staying with us last year. We have made many new improvements to our property and will continue to do until evertything is completed. we would love to earn your business again in the future.

jayne nichol

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (14)
Opp, Alabama
Reviewed 26 May 2014

You get what you pay for here, nothing. No pool, restaurant, no microwave, no little refrigerator, just a old tube tv too small to see clearly without squinting. Interesting thing was, there was room in corner for a microwave, combo fridge, but no just an empty space. This morning awoke to no tv service, and key card not working, instead of complaining, just checked out early and left for home. If you want a no frills room with paper thin walls where you can hear dogs barking in the room below, and people next door like they are standing right next to you, then by all means stay here, but if you want quiet, and comfortable, go stay some place else. Also requested a bottom floor, since im disabled, and have problems climbing stairs, this request was denied. Will not be staying here again.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
CHIGulfShores, Front Office Manager at Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores, responded to this review, 29 August 2015
I would like to extend an apology. we since have done some upgrading to our property. we have put in flat screens to a majority of our rooms , not sure why your room did not have a microwave or mini frig. most of our rooms do unless you requested to have just a standard room. I also agree that due to your medical reasons you should of been put in a downstairs room. we no longer accept pets, so barking dogs will not be a issue again. we hope that in the future you will let us earn your business back again..

melissa beck
Lawrenceburg, Tennessee
Reviewed 9 May 2014

My ratings are Average but should be somewhere between Average and the next step down (Poor). Tolerable would probably sum it up... I wouldn't call this hotel poor just because it is an OK value when comparing what you get for the price paid but is below my typical lodging choices.

If you are a discerning or sensitive traveler move on somewhere else with a much higher price. I am an experienced road warrior and found the Country Hearth tolerable for a night or two's stay rather than paying the big bucks down on the beach.

I arrived in town a day early for our annual golf trip and needed a room for the night until our condo was ready. The room was reasonably clean but smelled pretty musty until the AC cooled it down about 20 degrees. The hotel is dated but again... for the price not scary or dirty.

I will probably stay again if the price differential stays the same next year.

Room Tip: Stay away from the outside stairwells. People drag luggage up and down the steps at all hours of th...
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank Kevin K
CHIGulfShores, Front Desk at Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores, responded to this review, 15 June 2016
I appreciate your honesty with your crticisms and yet keeping it in line with the pricing differences of higher end motels and hotels. We have an all new staff as of now and we are truly trying to advance our standards to meet our customers expectations and still be cost effective enough for the cost to remain low. I truly hope that if your in the area early again and cant stay at one of the higher priced chain hotels, that you will give us another opportunity to serve you.

Paul
Florence, Alabama
Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

I'm an older college student who stayed the weekend. I stayed in a non-smoking 2 bed room.

It didn't smell like anyone had smoked in there. Everything looked & felt clean. Yes, everything did look older & there wasn't a lot in the room. The main table in there was a little scratched up. Never saw any bugs or rodents in the room. The bathroom seemed to be in pretty good condition. But it didn't have a lot of counter space.

• Stayed April 2014
2 Thank SER319
Reviewed 4 May 2014

As soon as we opened the door, we were greeted by the stifling smell of stale cigarette smoke. It was so strong that my mother ended up having an asthma attack. The room was old and the beds and other furnishings were old and dirty as well. I attempted to walk on the carpet with shoes off, but had to put them back on. You could tell no one had vacuumed in awhile. The floor was gritty and grimy.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
CHIGulfShores, front desk staff at Country Hearth Inn Gulf Shores, responded to this review, 29 August 2015
I would like to apologize for the experience that you had with your prior stay. we have done alot to ensure that we are a smoke free facility. we have also had great responses to the cleaning staff that we have on staff now. they take great pride to make sure our guest our happy and satisfied with their rooms. we hope in the future we can earn your business again.

Travellers are raving about these Gulf Shores hotels

Reviewed 28 March 2014

I would Definately stay here again. They hotel staff was very friendly. The rooms was clean. I am very picky when it comes to the bed so I looked at the mattress… it looked really new and without stains my only complaint would be if you are in town on business the wifi isnt very reliable the tv channels aren't the best but your less than 15 min from orange beach ... One mile from public beach and center of gulf shores Beac center. BEST OF ALL the hotel is at a turn off where there is not a 5 hour wait to leave and arrive!

• Stayed March 2014
1 Thank Crystal5354
Gulfport, Mississippi
Reviewed 22 March 2014

I was apprehensive about booking here because of bad reviews but we needed a place for a single night to attend a tournament and we have a tight budget so I took the chance. I can't believe this is the same place that was described in the bad reviews! We rolled up at 10:30 at night and walked into the office to a pleasant and helpful staff member behind the counter who got us checked in quickly. The room was spacious and immaculate. Not a speck of dust or dirt anywhere. The bathroom was sparkling. Not even a trace of mildew on the shower curtain (something I'm pretty used to seeing at budget hotels). If I were going to nitpick, my one complaint is that there was only the one mirror in the bathroom and no mirror out in the room, which made getting ready in the morning slightly longer, which is really just an extremely minor annoyance. Checking out was just as pleasant as check in....every staff member we encountered was extremely friendly and downright happy looking. We will be passing back through for another tournament later this year and we will definitely be booking a room at this hotel again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family