“Great view!!!”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #3 of 24 Hotels in Gulf Shores
“Great view!!!”
Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here Feb 13-16.We had a ocean front view,King bed Jacuzzi room.Service was great. Staff was very friendly.We would stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank druiz6981

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (210)
MCMINNVILLE
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Our vacation plans were sidelined by car trouble. So, I made a last minute reservation online for one night. We weren't sure if we were going to stay there or continue on to our destination Biloxi, MS. It's easy to find along Beach Blvd. Garage on one wing, our room number was 628. As long as you are a smoker, that is (we are). In fact, the usual tobacco smell was very faint. BTW, if you are a smoker and don't request and get a smoking room, there is a $250 fine.

The room is at the very end of the wing giving an added feeling of privacy. We felt like there was no one else but us. Could be the season.

The guy working the desk wasn't very friendly. Even though I paid online for the advacnced booking - he asked for my card and swiped it, then commenting "Oh, I shouldn't have done that." Paraphrasing he said it wouldn't matter, that there wouldn't be another charge. Something about that caused my bank to lock my card from additional charges.

Awkward entrance area. One of the previous reviewers commented "gross"on the interiors but I cannot disagree more.The hotel and room was appointed very nicely - the mattress was new pillow top mattress (some might say too soft, I disagree) - a thankful good night's rest. The linens were soft and there was a nice flat screen tv. Strangely placed in front of the mirror. Fridge and microwaved stowed in an armoire that used to house a television. The tv should have been mounted. The smoke detector had been removed. Nice balcony with mostly unobstructed view of the Gulf. Great sunrises, sunsets blocked by hotel next door - head to the nice stretch of beach for one anyhow. The pool and grotto were nice looking. Well, except for the part of the grotto that was obviously supposed to be running a fountain. There was disgusting green still water growing on the top of the grotto. We did not use the downstairs restaurant which was once a Denny's. Besides, we love to look for local/privately owned establishments to patronage.

So we called from the room to go ahead and book a second night. She said the room was available again. We asked her to put that change on the card too. The carge came back declined. She called to tell us so. Obviously, this was an error because I know eactly how much is in my account. She told me that I would have to come pay cash or check out. So the next morning I went down to the front desk and spoke to a new front desk person. I told her that I was paying for an addtional night. I told her that there was no way this card could be declined. I had to pay cash anyway and I didn't think to tell her to call my banks 1800 number.. As a side-note, if you receive a "declined" on your card, the establishment MUST make an attempt to call your card holder # or offer the phone for you to call. SO, I went back to the room and called the bank and asked what the deal was. I was told that the hotel keeps running the card and suspected it fraud. The words the customer service rep. used were, "The reason that your card is being declinded is because the chages have been paid for and they keep running the card and we think it looks like fraud. We're stopping that."

A huge inconvienence... we carried just enough cash as was expected to be needed (not room and board) for obvious security reasons. The next day when we headed out to sight see etc, the housekeeping stopped us to ask if we needed housekeeping. We declined it but found it odd that they would ask and then request our signature on a form about it. I had a great deal of electronics I travel with and didn't want anyone in the room. Check out was as unremarkable as check in - people with no idea that they should be asking how my stay was and to enjoy the rest of my day - instead of a blank stare. Bottom line: I didn't feel very welcome and I will probably not come back.

Room Tip: Last room, top floor - 628 if you're a smoker. Otherwise ask if you can have the room at the end...
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
4 Thank RANDALLALLEN
Titusville, Florida
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I visited with friends in December. This condo is owned by the hotel owner and is rented on a daily or weekly basis. The condo was clean and well-stocked. The furnishing were relatively new and the kitchen was clean. The View? Excellent! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Have to pick up the keys and pay at the hotel.
  • Stayed December 2011, travelled with friends
2 Thank Carol L
georgia
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here in September 2011 for the weekend. The location is great. We had a street view room. The room served all of our needs. Tiny bathroom. Room looked like it had recently been painted. Beds were very comfortable. Friendly staff. It was a great value and would definately stay again.

• Stayed September 2011
2 Thank jenjen607
Hunstsville, AL
Reviewed 15 December 2011

To begin with, this is a Christian-owned hotel. It's not a party destination. That said, if you're traveling with the kids and want an over-night stay on the beach and a swim, this is a good place to stay. I've stayed here many times over the years. It's prices are good during the season and very affordable off season. The rooms are serviceable and clean, though not sumptuous. The balconies on the beach are nice. The Island Pancake House is on the bottom floor and the entire south wall is glass facing the beach. The food is similar to Denny's (which the restaurant used to be) and the waitresses are usually immigrants from Russia who are here on guest worker visas. They are always super-nice and very attentive. If you've got kids and you're traveling on a budget, go for it. This is a good place to chill for a night or a couple of nights on the beach. The indoor swimming pool is so-so. The water is clean, but it's a little tepid, though.

• Stayed September 2011, travelled with family
4 Thank thecowboylawyer
Pensacola
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My family and I reside just an hour away from Gulf Shores and I decided to surprise my girls and mother for a girls weekend at the beach while my husband was out of town. We could not have been happier with our choice to stay at the Best Western. When we first drove in, we stopped at the Hilton down the road and after deciding that they and two other hotels closeby were either too expensive or too far away from the T at Highway 59 ,which I consider to be the 'Heart' of Gulf Shores. We stumbled upon the Best Western - and it was a breath of fresh air. The desk clerks were just a delight. They offered the lowest price all day and even assisted my elderly mother locate beach wheelchair rentals. My girls fell in love with the breakfast at the Pancake House and my mother and I absolutely loved the view of the ocean from the balcony. All in all, this is a definite 'do over,' and I highly recommend others to visit the Best Western on the Beach!

• Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
Louisville, Kentucky
Reviewed 3 October 2011

The last week of September, 2011, my wife and I traveled from Louisville, Kentucky to Gulf Shores, Alabama for a few days of relaxation and good food. Having been born and raised on the Gulf Coast, we both miss the particular culture and natural beauty of the region and enjoy returning from time to time.

From their website, which is well-done and accurate, we selected the Best Western on the Beach for our lodging. Reading some of the Tripadviosr reviews we were a bit apprehensive but after speaking with relatives in the area before reserving our room, some of our concerns were assuaged. This property has been in the process of upgrading for some time and the troubling issues cited in the reviews have been addressed in most of the units. It should also be noted that hotel accommoations on the beach are rare, as most sites are condominiums, many privately owned units not available for rent.

Upon arrival, we were impressed with the courtesy of the desk clerk and her successful efforts to secure our room about one hour earlier than the stated check-in time. We found the room to be recently renovated, evidence of fresh paint work everywhere and, on the ceilings and walls, apparent work resulting in slightly mismatched surface textures. The room was simple in decor, almost austere, but clean, comfortable, and spacious in the sleeping/kitchenette area, though slightly less commodious in the bath. By hotel standards the water pressure in the shower was adequate and the bathroom was clean; otherwise it was small and not laid out in the fashion we come to expect in hotels. All in all, the bathroom was cramped but sufficient for one occupant at a time. The kitchenette was equipped with what appeared to be new cabinets and fixtures. This area was equipped with a fridge, a microwave, a stainless steel sink, stovetop burners, and a coffeemaker. There was more than enough cabinet and counter space for suitably meeting the needs of guests staying briefly and primarily eating out. The provided silverware and dinnerware were also more than adequate for at least two guests and additional pieces may be obtained from housekeeping as needed. The bed was comfortable with crisp sheets and generous pillows. Desk space and drawer space was as one might expect in a typical chain operation. The real treat was the access to a private balcony through a door at the end of the room opposite the entrance to the room. From this balcony, my wife and I enjoyed spectacular views of the waves, the sky, gulls, sugar sand beaches, and occasionally even dolphins. The balcony isn't large but there is more enough space for sveral adults to stretch out out weary legs while sitting in any of the three chairs provided.

From standing in our second floor room to wading in the warm waves of the gulf was a two minute jaunt, with easy access to both stairs and elevators that exited virtually onto the beach. On the way down, there are vending machines for ice and well stocked snack and soft drink dispensers.

The onsite restaurant is a fine spot for breakfast in particular (lots of yummy pancake and waffle varieties) and lunch as well, but dinner isn't served. The bright cheery eatery offers a view of the beach from all tables . . . a GREAT view from those tables nearest the floor to ceiling glass walls on the south side. Servers are most friendly, attentive, and accommodating. The indoor pool is in a separate building but is only steps away from all rooms. The outdoor pool is enhanced by a man-made rock feature that creates a cave-like nook at one end. It appears to be equipped to send waters cascading down like a waterfall but that feature wasn't in operation when we visited.

Perhaps the most attractive aspect of this hotel is it's location, with shops, diners, pubs, live-entertainment and the beach all within very easy walking distance. I won't review those venues here but may offer separate reviews for them as time goes by.

Based on our simple but clean and perfectly adequate room, the overall friendliness of the hotel and diner staff, the exceptional views from beachfront balconies, and the superb location, I would return to this hotel without hesitation. I almost typed "reservation" rather than "hesitation" but realized that, in fact, one must have reservations!

Room Tip: Specify gulfview and inquire as to whether the room has been recently updated.
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
#2 of 24 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms
Hampton Inn & Suites Orange Beach
Microtel Inn & Suites by Wyndham Gulf Shores

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!