“Great experience!!!”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Reviewed 22 February 2012

My wife & I spent our anniversary extended weekend getaway at the Best Western On The Beach in Gulf Shores, AL. When we arrived, the front desk did not have a record of our reservation, but that was quickly corrected with our confirmation number. The next issue was the GFI power outlet in the bathroom did not work which was resolved when management had an electrical contractor come in on the weekend to repair the problem. The room was great. Housekeeping staff was great. Front desk staff was great. Would highly recommend this hotel!!!

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
10  Thank John B

Reviewed 17 February 2012

My husband and I stayed here Feb 13-16.We had a ocean front view,King bed Jacuzzi room.Service was great. Staff was very friendly.We would stay here again.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank druiz6981
Reviewed 21 January 2012

Our vacation plans were sidelined by car trouble. So, I made a last minute reservation online for one night. We weren't sure if we were going to stay there or continue on to our destination Biloxi, MS. It's easy to find along Beach Blvd. Garage on one wing, our room number was 628. As long as you are a smoker, that is (we are). In fact, the usual tobacco smell was very faint. BTW, if you are a smoker and don't request and get a smoking room, there is a $250 fine.

The room is at the very end of the wing giving an added feeling of privacy. We felt like there was no one else but us. Could be the season.

The guy working the desk wasn't very friendly. Even though I paid online for the advacnced booking - he asked for my card and swiped it, then commenting "Oh, I shouldn't have done that." Paraphrasing he said it wouldn't matter, that there wouldn't be another charge. Something about that caused my bank to lock my card from additional charges.

Awkward entrance area. One of the previous reviewers commented "gross"on the interiors but I cannot disagree more.The hotel and room was appointed very nicely - the mattress was new pillow top mattress (some might say too soft, I disagree) - a thankful good night's rest. The linens were soft and there was a nice flat screen tv. Strangely placed in front of the mirror. Fridge and microwaved stowed in an armoire that used to house a television. The tv should have been mounted. The smoke detector had been removed. Nice balcony with mostly unobstructed view of the Gulf. Great sunrises, sunsets blocked by hotel next door - head to the nice stretch of beach for one anyhow. The pool and grotto were nice looking. Well, except for the part of the grotto that was obviously supposed to be running a fountain. There was disgusting green still water growing on the top of the grotto. We did not use the downstairs restaurant which was once a Denny's. Besides, we love to look for local/privately owned establishments to patronage.

So we called from the room to go ahead and book a second night. She said the room was available again. We asked her to put that change on the card too. The carge came back declined. She called to tell us so. Obviously, this was an error because I know eactly how much is in my account. She told me that I would have to come pay cash or check out. So the next morning I went down to the front desk and spoke to a new front desk person. I told her that I was paying for an addtional night. I told her that there was no way this card could be declined. I had to pay cash anyway and I didn't think to tell her to call my banks 1800 number.. As a side-note, if you receive a "declined" on your card, the establishment MUST make an attempt to call your card holder # or offer the phone for you to call. SO, I went back to the room and called the bank and asked what the deal was. I was told that the hotel keeps running the card and suspected it fraud. The words the customer service rep. used were, "The reason that your card is being declinded is because the chages have been paid for and they keep running the card and we think it looks like fraud. We're stopping that."

A huge inconvienence... we carried just enough cash as was expected to be needed (not room and board) for obvious security reasons. The next day when we headed out to sight see etc, the housekeeping stopped us to ask if we needed housekeeping. We declined it but found it odd that they would ask and then request our signature on a form about it. I had a great deal of electronics I travel with and didn't want anyone in the room. Check out was as unremarkable as check in - people with no idea that they should be asking how my stay was and to enjoy the rest of my day - instead of a blank stare. Bottom line: I didn't feel very welcome and I will probably not come back.

Room Tip: Last room, top floor - 628 if you're a smoker. Otherwise ask if you can have the room at the end...
  • Stayed: January 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank RANDALLALLEN
Reviewed 15 January 2012

I visited with friends in December. This condo is owned by the hotel owner and is rented on a daily or weekly basis. The condo was clean and well-stocked. The furnishing were relatively new and the kitchen was clean. The View? Excellent! Highly recommend.

Room Tip: Have to pick up the keys and pay at the hotel.
  • Stayed: December 2011, travelled with friends
2  Thank Carol L
Reviewed 5 January 2012

We stayed here in September 2011 for the weekend. The location is great. We had a street view room. The room served all of our needs. Tiny bathroom. Room looked like it had recently been painted. Beds were very comfortable. Friendly staff. It was a great value and would definately stay again.

• Stayed: September 2011
2  Thank jenjen607
Reviewed 15 December 2011

To begin with, this is a Christian-owned hotel. It's not a party destination. That said, if you're traveling with the kids and want an over-night stay on the beach and a swim, this is a good place to stay. I've stayed here many times over the years. It's prices are good during the season and very affordable off season. The rooms are serviceable and clean, though not sumptuous. The balconies on the beach are nice. The Island Pancake House is on the bottom floor and the entire south wall is glass facing the beach. The food is similar to Denny's (which the restaurant used to be) and the waitresses are usually immigrants from Russia who are here on guest worker visas. They are always super-nice and very attentive. If you've got kids and you're traveling on a budget, go for it. This is a good place to chill for a night or a couple of nights on the beach. The indoor swimming pool is so-so. The water is clean, but it's a little tepid, though.

• Stayed: September 2011, travelled with family
4  Thank thecowboylawyer
Reviewed 4 November 2011

My family and I reside just an hour away from Gulf Shores and I decided to surprise my girls and mother for a girls weekend at the beach while my husband was out of town. We could not have been happier with our choice to stay at the Best Western. When we first drove in, we stopped at the Hilton down the road and after deciding that they and two other hotels closeby were either too expensive or too far away from the T at Highway 59 ,which I consider to be the 'Heart' of Gulf Shores. We stumbled upon the Best Western - and it was a breath of fresh air. The desk clerks were just a delight. They offered the lowest price all day and even assisted my elderly mother locate beach wheelchair rentals. My girls fell in love with the breakfast at the Pancake House and my mother and I absolutely loved the view of the ocean from the balcony. All in all, this is a definite 'do over,' and I highly recommend others to visit the Best Western on the Beach!

• Stayed: October 2011, travelled with family
Sanibel Gulf Shores
Sanibel Gulf Shores
#12 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!