“Cottage clean but outdated”

Best Western On The Beach
Ranked #3 of 25 Hotels in Gulf Shores
Louisiana
Reviewed 7 June 2006

We just returned from a 4 day, 3 night visit to this hotel. We stayed at the cottage across the street so I have no info on the hotel rooms but the staff was friendly and the beach front beautiful. The outdoor pool is mostly 3 ft deep and the waterfall was not in working order. The indoor pool is warm but nothing special. The two hot tubs indoors were working but could have been cleaner. The web site photos are misleading. Our cottage was clean but VERY outdated. It is in desperate need of new carpet, paint, and decor. However, it was very practical for our family of 5 (including 3 small children). It was so nice to be able to cook and wash our clothes right there compared to a hotel room. I am very used to extremely nice hotels with outstanding amenities so this one came up short. But we had a great time, it is a short distance from the Waterville waterpark and other attractions, shops, outlets, and restaurants. Overall, just average!

• Stayed: June 2006
5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 19 May 2006

The view is the only great thing about this "hotel". Their is nothing in the rooms, nor hotel to give you ANY info about their amenities...pool hours, etc. The pool waterfall wasn't working, which is just dumb. The outdoor pool IS pretty much for children. There was an indoor pool and jacuzzi but I didn't venture in as it was FULL of unsupervised kids. ICK....

The bathroom was small and nasty, in my opinion. The carpet should have been cleaned at the very least. The entire check in was kind dumb. Nobody seems to care much about anything but leaving work. That's all I heard..." I have 30 minutes until I leave!". The walls are also dirty and this hotel is in BAD need of major overhaul. The "kitchenette" had paper cups and 3 plates...2 forks, etc. Someone needs to fire the management of this place.

I booked thru Priceline and boy are they going to hear about how I was double charged on many things. I'm not going to be kind.

• Stayed: May 2006
12  Thank laylaune
Reviewed 14 April 2006

We stayed at the Best Western on the Beach for two nights.I was very disappointed in the welcome or greeting we received when we first arrived. Upon check in I explained I had a reservation and was only asked for my credit card. The only thing that was given was directions to get to our room and parking rules. No information regarding the hotel amenities. The room looked much like an other economy room but with an magnificent gulf front view with balcony. The bathroom needed attention as well as other minor houskeeping details. The beach was lovely. The pool was okay and primarily geared to children as the only area of the pool that is deep enough to swim (5 ft.)is under the rock waterfall that by the way was not functioning. No breakfast is offered but the Island Pancake House in the hotel offers a 25% discount to hotel guests. Be prepared and aware that this hotel doesn't offer pool or beach towels. No hotel guides, stationary or any information were provided in the rooms. I had to request a local phonebook for the room. It reminded us of a bargain self catering resort and should be advertised as such. The best thing about the hotel is the beach.

• Stayed: April 2006
18  Thank Treasuretz
Jackson
Reviewed 28 March 2006

I traveled here for the 1st time with my 3 children, we found the place to be average with an above average view of the beach. We stayed in the low-rise building on the 3rd floor, which had a remarkable view of the beach and I could see the kids while they visited the beach (they didn't appear as small dots, if I spoke to them they could hear me if necessary). The room was cleaned daily, the room was spacious with 2 full beds and could hold my personal air bed. The room had a nice sized fridge, small sink for dishes, dishes & eating utensils for 3-4 people, a large microwave, pots, pans and cooking utensils. Our bathroom was a nice size, but one must get use to the shower head. We found alot of activities for adults and the kids within 1-5 miles from the hotel. The indoor pool and hot tub were in working order, the outside hot tub did not work, but the outside pool did; they were both full with clean water, BUT who needs that when behind you the sandy beach was less than 1 foot away. There is alot of construction going on, but did't disturb our restful nights, beds were clean and average in comfort. Will return soon!

• Stayed: March 2006
13  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 1 March 2006

My family visited Gulf Shores over Thanksgiving and stayed at a cottage owned by Best Western. If you look at the Best Western on the Beach website (not the National Chain website) you can see pictures of this 3 bedroom cottage. It's not on the hotel property, it's about .25 miles away from the hotel.

This cottage was VERY affordable, and the perfect place for our family. Since we went in November, we didn't spend a lot of time on the beach. The cottage is across the main road from the beach and set back a bit. It's about a 5 minute walk to the beach. Too far to be running back and forth from the cottage to the beach, but definitely close enough to walk to the beach to spend some time.

The cottage itself was very clean and functional. Not the Ritz, but more than adequate. I also had good luck with the desk staff. I called a few times before we went and asked lots of questions about the cottage and they were very nice and patient with me.

I would recommend this cottage to someone who wants to be near all of the main attractions of Gulf Shores, but is not having a totally beach centered vacation.

• Stayed: November 2005
15  Thank *kara*intn
Trinity, ALabama
Reviewed 25 June 2004

WE payed in full upon arrival, but when we went to check out we were charged an additional $21.00, the lady at the front desk said that the lady that checked us in didn't charge us enough. Sounds like a rip off to me. Will not stay at this hotel again.

11  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 11 May 2004

This place has been around for many years, but has been very well kept. The rooms are clean, comfortable, and have excellent views from their directly oceanfront private balconies. The kids will love the beachside cascading waterfall pool! There is a restaurant on-site and the staff is great. This place has become a landmark in Gulf Shores. I would recommend it!

11  Thank deskclerk102
Sanibel Gulf Shores
Sanibel Gulf Shores
#12 of 25 in Gulf Shores
Courtyard Gulf Shores Craft Farms

Been to Best Western On The Beach? Share your experiences!