“Great place”
Review of Key West Inn

Key West Inn
Ranked #2 of 4 Hotels in Hamilton
Reviewed 12 August 2014

I cannot understand all the negative reviews on here!! MY wife an I have stayed here many times and have always found it very clean{which is my number one priority},the staff very friendly and willing to help with any of your wants or needs.We did encounter one small concern on one visit and its was taken care of right then.We travel all over and the Key West Inn is a wonderful place to spend the night in a clean quite room for the money you pay..We have stayed at the other motels in Hamilton and they were far less appealing and all smelled of smoke!!! The owner manager is a delight to talk to and will always accommodate you in any way..Plus she is honestly concerned about your stay being a pleasant one.Richard and Glenna

Room Tip: Book online
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Richard T
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 26 September 2014

Thank you very much for your comments Mr. T.,

We do our best to double and triple-inspect each room that it is clean & maintained and meets the expectations that you have had as a traveler ever since way back when. We want each room to be what you would be proud to bring your family to as well as the entire property and the environment of the property.

We are proud that we are American-owned and work hard to give you what you are looking for while you are away from home.

Reviewed 26 June 2014

I was traveling with my family and a large group of my husbands family. I booked my room online. It was my fault for not verifying, but I thought that the hotel was pet friendly. My family arrived at the hotel early May. The lady at the front desk never welcomed us, said hello, nothing. I was the first one to approach the front desk, she seemed frustrated that she had to accommodate several of us at once. We were all in a great mood, not being pushy, very patient but the lady kept telling us that she can only take care of one person at a time. I was handed my hotel information and asked to sign and initial. Again, I am taking the blame, I didn't READ what I signed. I did however see something about a pet policy and charged a fee. I assumed you would be charged if the hotel feels your pet destroyed any property. After checking in, we left and didn't return until later that night. After spending a very brief time in our room the same lady that checked us in was pounding on my door demanding that we remove our pet from the premises at once. She was extremely loud. She didn't give me a chance to even ask what is going on (I was under the assumption it was a pet friendly hotel) she just kept repeatedly yelling , "remove the animal at once!" My husband and his family was confused and upset. We were charged for the cost of a one night stay and a $336.00 pet fee. For not even a total of an hour or so in the room. It was a horrible experience! I was treated like a criminal.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with family
8  Thank Elizabeth L
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 14 July 2014

Many people don't want to stay in a hotel that has had animals in the rooms nor pass such a large unknown dog in the hallway, especially with children.

1) You signed an agreement in very-large font that you wouldn't bring any dogs into the hotel.
2) You then went around back (on video) and snuck your dog in through the back door.
3) After your husband became extremely loud and aggressive with the lady from the front desk, the police were called.
4) The police reviewed the video and instructed you to leave the property immediately.
5) Video shows that the staff was very respectful and professional throughout this event and were complimented by the police for the way they handled the situation.

We are proud to say that we are American-owned. We offer clean rooms at competitive rates.

Reviewed 25 April 2014

This is a nice motel but over priced for what you receive. The front desk clerk started offering us a room for $100.00 per night when I was walking away she dropped the price to $80.00 I thanked her and was walking away she said our lowest rate is $67.50 I said ok.
The breakfast amenities are bagels or a Danish. Our bathroom sink drained very slowly we reported this to the front desk clerk she had an excuse that the drains are small so no one would loose any jewelry down the sink. I would be reluctant to stay at this motel again. I would go further North or stop before getting to this location.

Room Tip: Choose a ground floor room if possible there is no elevator only stairs.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Bob R
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 15 May 2014

Frankly, Bob, we're puzzled. After the raving review you gave us at the front desk as you were leaving ( http://youtu.be/l67hpRLQSLw - or search youtube.com: Praise for Key West Inn ), we are not sure what could have changed after you left ... "I would stay here again in a heartbeat." ... "You've got a very nice hotel here." ... "Very clean" ... "It's extremely nice" ... "the one that the lady recommended" ... "We will (be back again)" ... "We'll be back."
Your comments at the front desk are very much appreciated and we believe a true representation of our efforts at Key West Inn.
Of course we will talk to the front desk clerk who was confused about the rate change. If there is anything that we can do, please let us know.
We're not a big-name chain that brings us guests, so we compensate with reasonable rates, extra clean rooms, and a convenient location.

Reviewed 4 March 2014

We travel extensively, so when I say this was the worst experience ever, I'm not exaggerating. On previous visits to Hamilton, before we knew about Key West, we stayed at two other hotels. They were priced considerably cheaper, but they were run down and smelled of smoke. If I had it all to do over again, I'd go back to one of them.

My daughter was getting married in Hamilton, so we blocked 15 rooms for wedding guests to reserve. Instead of allowing them to reserve rooms, they were told the hotel was all booked up when folks called in. My husband and I stayed there two weeks before the wedding to try it out. The room was clean. The service was not just lousy, but hilarious. It was like something out of a Saturday Night Live skit. The poor lady who waited on us was completely clueless. She couldn't straighten out the mess with our rooms, so I told her I needed to cancel the 15 rooms. She said, "Oh, I can't do that; there are 15 of them."
I replied, "Yes, I know. They're in my name, and I want to cancel."

She said, "I can't do that. Would you like to speak to our sales manager?"

I said yes, and she asked me if I'd like to come back. "No, I'm here now. Is your sales manager here?"

She looked confused and replied, "I don't know if she is." Of course, she knew; the hotel is about thisbig.

"What is her name?" I asked.

"I can't tell you that," she replied.

Seriously?

So I gave her my cell number and told her I wanted to speak to the sales manager as soon as possible.

The sales manager called within minutes. I still don't know here name, because I couldnt understand a word she said. I don't particularly care if a hotel is "American owned," but if you bill it as such, at least be able to speak English.

Eventually I got the 15 rooms cancelled.

But that's not the end of the debacle. I dropped in last week to see if any of my wedding guests had reserved rooms, because they were still telling me the online registration options showed the hotel was all booked up. I found that doubtful.

Must've been the sales manager who greeted me at the desk, because I explained that I was sending guests to other hotels because they were being told online that the hotel was all booked up. She insisted "You cannot book here on the computer. You cannot do that. You call in."

I could go on and on, but no one has time to read all this. Let me leave you with this. As of March 1, this beach-themed hotel still has poinsettas on all the dining room tables. Now, that's funny.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
14  Thank bridgett s
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed here in Jan. 2014 for 5 nights. We were visiting relatives. The room was 2 queen beds, TV, coffee maker and refrigerator. There are no blackout type curtains. The curtains are light in color and they let in all the light. Just something to be aware of. This is the first hotel I have stayed in that does not have blackout curtains.
The lady who does the housekeeping does a great job. They have a washer and dryer on site which they charge by the hour to use. Both appliances worked has they should.
I tried the breakfast items twice. Coffee was good but the apple juice was totally watered down. I thought perhaps it was just me. I tried the apple juice again the next morning same result. I did not take the time to say anything to the front desk about it and just gave them the benefit of the doubt.
There is a broken down car in the first entrance into the hotel. If you are driving a vehicle pulling a trailer you will have a hard time making the swing into the parking area. Fortunately they have another entrance. I inquired about this at the desk, the reply was it had been there forever and nothing more was said. I find that very odd. Also there is a black car that is always parked under the carport. I don't know if this car is broken down or if the owners leave it there. It was never moved the entire 5 days we were there.
Granted these are more or less small things. Yes, the hotel is very clean, everything worked and it was quiet.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with family
3  Thank Susan W
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 8 March 2014

Thank you very much for the "Nice Hotel" review.
Probably the apple juice machine had temporarily run low or run out. If you ever have an issue like this, please let us know and we will fix it immediately. Both our supplier (Red Diamond) and the owner are very careful to supply the best juice and coffee that can be arranged. After we read your review, we checked the juice and whatever the issue has already been corrected.
The black car is a 2012 Impala used to shuttle employees of a local manufacturing plant. It works perfectly as does the other vehicle. We are sorry that these two vehicles bothered you. We have far more large parking spaces than we have rooms. Should you ever have a problems finding a parking space, please let us know.
We are very proud that we are an American-Owner hotel. We are known by our regular guests for having among the cleanest rooms of any hotel anywhere. Clean, secure, reasonable.

Reviewed 8 January 2014

Cannot even think of anything positive to say about this property n I always try to find something positive to say ! Place is to expensive for what u get n what u get is absolutely nothing! There isn't even coffee or tea in lobby ! Front desk help is indifference u can stand at front desk and no one will come out to help you unless you ring a bell! Rooms are dated sparely decorated n beds look and feel as if you are laying on a door . What a miserable night bed is so hard n the pillows are also! Which tells me that they are old n full of dust pollen to be that hard ! Pass this hotel up good ones are just down the road, we travel a lot and I'm telling you this place is not what they advertise ,

Room Tip: Go to another hotel
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
6  Thank Lowell N
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 9 January 2014

We've looked up your account to investigate your concern.
   We invite readers at this website to compare our rates to the lesser hotels in town. The readers will find our rates extremely competitive.
   All of our rooms have coffee makers. We start everyday early with fresh coffee in the lobby.
   Our front desk is staffed 24 hours. Although we are sorry that you had to ring the bell, we are happy to report that a review of the security tapes showed that the one time that you rang the bell your wait was only 11 seconds.
   We've done our best to select mattresses with a moderate firmness to satisfy most. The mattress that you slept on is less than a month old. We inspected the mattresses in the room that you slept in to find it in perfect condition. The room that you stayed in is also perfectly maintained and extremely clean.
   We are proud to say that we are the only American-Owned hotel in town, the newest hotel in town, and never has a hotel been rated cleaner by the State of Alabama.
   Please stop in and take a quick look at any of our rooms. Our staff is very eager and proud to show them.

Reviewed 20 November 2013 via mobile

Very clean, up to date. Very friendly staff. Smoking rooms available. Wonderful smelling shampoo. If paying cash expect to pay cash deposit. Paid $89 for a king smoking. Worth it for the comfortable experience.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
1  Thank staceyelainedennis
Mark084, Public Relations Manager at Key West Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 7 January 2014

We are very happy that you had a great experience with us. Thank you for letting others know what to expect. When we opened this property, our goal was to provide a comfortable, care-free experience that a family would find reasonable. Please stop in again.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hamilton
Holiday Inn Guin
#1 of 4 in Hamilton
Hamilton Holiday Motel
Hamilton Holiday Motel
#3 of 4 in Hamilton

Been to Key West Inn? Share your experiences!