“Great room just outside Birmingham” 3 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood
Ranked #4 of 6 Hotels in Homewood
Missouri
“Great room just outside Birmingham”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2012

The hotel is conveniently located outside of Birmingham but a little confusing to find. There are hotels in the mix of restaurants, big name stores, etc and this one is actually on the far side next to a Lowe's Home Center. Just when I got to a dead end and thought I must have missed it I seen it down a side street on my left.
The hotel is quiet and very clean. The room was very inviting. The bed extremely comfortable.
One of the nice treats of Country Inn & Suites is coming off the road after a long a day of traveling and being treated to warm fresh cookies and a cup of coffee. Neither were available at any time the evening I checked in. I even asked the desk clerk and he just mumbled something about the coffee is probably empty and if there is any it will be cold. Didn't offer to make a fresh pot as more customers started checking in. No cookies were ever offered. The only coffee I had in the room was two pods of decaffeinated. The desk clerk was was more interested in playing on his laptop in the dining room in the dark than being available for checked in customers.
I didn't stay long enough to try the breakfast as I checked out at 4 AM.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled solo
1 Thank redscorpio59

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Little Rock, Arkansas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 April 2012

We stayed at this hotel for only one night but it was good for what we needed. We only got ready there for a wedding and slept briefly before getting back on the road. In that short stay, the front desk staff were nice, the rooms were nice and clean, the business room had free internet and printing, and the food was so-so.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with friends
Valley Head, AL
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 February 2012

I have stayed here many times. The first time I stayed here I was "blessed" by the bad behavior of the woman tending the breakfast area but they replaced her before I came back the next week. There was another review on here that describes this person and I wanted to reassure people that the problem was dealt with. I have never had a bad night's sleep or had anything go wrong and the front desk staff has been very nice. The breakfast is good and the dining area is spacious.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
2 Thank NonnyJ
Illinois
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 February 2012

The staff at the front desk did not even say Hi. The Breakfast became confrontational when I couldn't fine an employee to ask for a tea bag. She finally appeared and found it in an unmarked drawer. She loudly for all to hear proclaimed her victory over the "person that cant find anything". She very abruptly told me that the waffle batter was "that's all there is" as she began washing stuff up. But then bur more out 15 minutes later. The stay was less than I had planned for.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled with family
    • 1 of 5 bubbles

Travellers are raving about these Homewood hotels

Pensacola, Florida
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2011

I spent the night at the Homewood Country Inn and Suites while traveling during the Christmas Holidays. I had trouble finding the place, as my Tom Tom GPS unit had the wrong location for this The lobby was warm and inviting. Someone greeted me at the front desk immediately. He was pleasant and welcomed me to the hotel. He found me a room quickly. As I waled to the elevators I saw they had a small exercise room with a few treadmills and one small multi-purpose weight machine. There was also a business center, but I did not use either of them.

When I entered the room, I found it to be spotless and tidy. It was nicely decorated and spacious. The room had a nice, large tv, a desk, a sitting area and a kingsized bed. There was also a refrigerator and coffee maker. Wireless internet was free and easy to access from my laptop. The bed was comfortable and the room was quiet allowing for a god night's rest. The bathroom was nicely stocked with shampoos and other toiletries. The shower was quite nice with marble walls and a nice large showerhead.

I took advantage of the free breakast. There was not much in the way of fruit--only a few apples and few over-ripe bananas. However, there were several types of cereal and oatmeal available, as well as eggs and ham and toast and bagels. There was a waffle iron so you could make your own waffles and there was a selction of coffee and juices. The dining room had plenty of tables and was clean. A tv in the corner had the local news playing.

My only complaint about this place was check-out. When I came down to check out there was no one at the front desk. I rang the bell several times but no one appeared. I waited for 4 or 5 minutes before a woman finally appeared. Once she arrived, check out was quick and painless and I was back on the road. I think that you get a lot for your money here at the Country Inns and Suites in Homewood and I would reccomend it to anyone lookind for a place to stay in Homewood.

• Stayed December 2011, travelled solo
3 Thank pecten56
Clayton, NC
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 November 2011

I stayed here while my son visited Samford University. The hotel is brand new and convenient to campus and area restaurants. The room was clean as was the breakfast area. However, they use air freshener like crazy. We had to sleep with the window open because the smell was so strong. I called the manager to ask for a fan, but he only offered to spray more freshener to mask the odor (he didn't understand me) and suggested we sleep with the door open for better ventilation. Really!!! I left notes all over the room before leaving the next day requesting that they not spray freshener and ran the bathroom fan all day. We could still smell it, but not so strongly the second night. The breakfast is listed as hot, but it's really just a glorified continental breakfast with bacon and hashbrowns in a warmer, not a true hot breakfast.

Room Tip: Ask for a room that does NOT have air freshener sprayed in it.
  • Stayed November 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank FamilyTravelsOften
Bergen County, NJ
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 November 2011

We got a great deal sent to us by Club Carlson. I had been here before, but found it even better this time. Very clean, comfortable beds, quiet location. Every room has hypoallergenic pillows in the closet, so we didn't have to ask the staff to hunt them down. The wi-fi connection was fine and the business room was handy when we needed to print out boarding passes. My husband found the equipment in the exercise room to work well. Our room and the bathroom were large. The room included a fridge, microwave and a living area. The staff was much friendlier this time than when I was there during the summer. My only gripe is that I wish there was some more fresh fruit and some granola at breakfast. Most people aren't as picky as me and would find the breakfast choices adequate. I didn't use the pool, so I can't comment, but it did look quite clean.

Room Tip: This time I chose a king-suite and I had a larger and better furnished room than the last time, when...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled with family
    • 5 of 5 bubbles
Also consider these accommodations in or near Homewood
BEST WESTERN PLUS Carlton Suites
Holiday Inn Hotel Birmingham/Homewood
Hilton Garden Inn Birmingham / Lakeshore Drive
La Quinta Inn & Suites Birmingham Homewood
Drury Inn & Suites Birmingham Southwest
Candlewood Suites Birmingham/Homewood

Been to Country Inn & Suites By Carlson, Homewood? Share your experiences!