“Unhappy Stay”

Courtyard Birmingham Hoover
Ranked #7 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Reviewed 17 February 2014

I'm usually happy with any Marriott property, but not with this one. First of all the elevator wasn't working so we had to carry our luggage up 2 flights of stairs. Then I requested non-down pillows. I was told the hotel didn't have any down or feather pillows ONLY to learn once I went to bed that my pillows were down! I have a severe allergy to down so it's very important that I don't come into contact with down. The next morning I spoke with the manager and he was very rude. He was smiling and his voice was pleasant BUT he kept asking me "What can I do to resolve this?" Instead of him telling me how he was going to resolve it! I said educate your staff and after him continuing to ask me, I finally said you can comp my room for the night. He said ok and he did comp my room for the night but then he said "Will this make you happy?". I was so angry because he implied that I was trying to get out of paying for my room and totally ignoring the fact that his staff had put my health at risk. I will never go back to this hotel ever!!!

Room Tip: first floor is the elevator is still broken
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Brenda328
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded 19 February 2014

2/18/2014
Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for your comments regarding your recent stay at Courtyard Birmingham/Hoover. It is through interested guests such as you that we are able to better train our staff so that future guests are pleased with their stay.
I certainly apologize for the incorrect information given regarding pillows at our hotel. Marriott standards require a variety of natural and synthetic pillows in each room to match guest particular preferences. If a guest has allergies, we are prepared to remove the feather pillows and substitute all synthetic foam pillows.
I will insure that my entire staff is aware of this offering and the procedure we use to make our guests happy and prevent allergic reactions.
Please accept my sincere apology. I know that not charging you for your stay did not make up for any discomfort you may have felt due to the feathers, but we would like for you to give us another opportunity to try our hotel in the future. We have made some changes and sll are fully aware of the pillows and what is available upon request.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked this room with high expectations, however, this one night stay has changed my opinon of Marriott properties . When I checked in everything in the lobby looked nice and inviting. I was assigned to a room that had a piece of the wall near the bathroom hanging from the ceiling. I reported this to the front desk and left to enjoy my dinner. When I returned to my room, I went to get the extra linens for the pullout sofa. I noticed a brown article of clothing, not sure if it was underwear of what, but clearly it was not mine. I reported it to the front desk and was assigned a new room and advised to speak with the General Manager. I was assigned a new room that had the slowest drainage I have ever seen. I still have not received any contact from the manager and I will NEVER visit this hotel again.!!!!!!!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
4  Thank KThr3
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded 4 February 2014

Dear Guest:
Thank you for your comments with regard to your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott Birmingham/Hoover. It is through interested guests such as you that enable us to satisfy all our future guests.
I am sorry that you did not receive a response to your complaint until two days after your stay. The message was placed into a manager's mail box who was off for two days rather than the GM mailbox. This training issue will be addressed.
I apologize for the vinyl corner guard coming loose and hanging from the upper part of the partition wall. This was repaired immediately after you called it to our attention. I also apologize for the article of clothing that you found in the pull out sofa bed. The recent ice storm created staffing problems. Other staff members who were not Housekeeping experts helped out cleaning guest rooms to try to provide shelter for all who needed it. We obviously dropped the ball and failed to open the sofa bed to check for any articles left by former guests.
In the second room that you were moved to, I must apologize for the slow draining tub. You deserve a room in working order and that room clearly needed some additional maintenance.
Please accept my sincere apology for the events of your recent stay.
We will use this information to better train our associates and department heads.
Again, we appreciate you being our guest and ask that you give us another opportunity to serve your lodging needs when in the Birmingham/Hoover area.

Reviewed 31 December 2013

I only stayed one night at this motel. Here is my thoughts on this motel. The lady at the front desk was friendly, nice & helpful. She was going to assign me to a room on the first floor but because it would not be close to my daughter & her family's room, whom I was riding with, she changed it & put me in a room just above them on the 2nd floor. As noted in one of the other reviews, there was a lot of walking involved to get to the rooms but who doesn't need the exercise? The room itself was clean & smelled fresh (which is important to me because the last motel room I stayed at had such a foul odor that I had to address it with the front desk). There was two queen size beds and the one I slept on was very comfortable. There was a refrigerator (no microwave) and a small private balcony. I appreciated that there was a tub not just a shower and that there was a door between the actual toilet and the vanity. I would have liked more mirrors in the room. The iron I used had something sticky on it & I had to be careful while using it on my clothes. I did not address this with the staff because it didn't seem that important.
The lobby area was inviting with a small fireplace. (There was a courtyard outside close to the pool that I imagine would be very nice in the summer.) There was also a Bistro where you could order sandwiches & breakfast. Which brings me to a major negative...no continental breakfast. Most motels now provide continental breakfast, especially in this price range. You could order breakfast at the Bistro, but who doesn't like a few perks, such as a free breakfast?
So, would I recommend this motel to a friend? Yes, I would. However, I would warn them not to expect breakfast!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded 10 January 2014

Dear Courtyard Guest:
Thank you for sharing your comments regarding your recent stay at CY Hoover, Al.
We are pleased that we provided a clean, great smelling room. I am concerned that your iron was not provided with a clean surface andI will have the head housekeeper make it a special project to inspect all our irons to insure any future guests get only a clean iron.
The Courtyard Brand has never offered a free breakfast but we are very proud of the Bistro concept which offers the freshest and most flavorful varieties available for both meal periods of operation.
We certainly thank you for your comments and will strive to make necessary corrections to make your next stay even better.
Best Regards,

Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

Very nice hotel; clean, professional customer service, mature atmosphere, peace & quiet provided, and the food & spirits were fresh. The only thing lacking in the room is a microwave.. Much needed because the Bristro restaurant is on site. This facility has a nice gym and pool. It's what you would expect from a Courtyard..

• Stayed: December 2013

Dear Valued Guest:
Thank you for your candid remarks regarding your visit to the CY Hoover, Al.
We are pleased that you found our hotel just what you would expect of a Marriott Courtyard. We hope that you will stay with us again on future visits and tell your friends that you enjoyed visiting with us.
We certainly are proud that you are a Marriott satisfied guest and hope to see you return soon.

Reviewed 10 November 2013

I had a good 3 night stay at this Courtyard, and I recommend it. This is an older Courtyard that appears to have been renovated. The interior of the hotel was nice and clean, with a modern and new feel to it. The staff was friendly at check in, and at the onsite Bistro. There is no free breakfast here, you have to pay for it at the Bistro. I thought the food and coffee were good and similar in price to Starbucks. The room was comfortable, and the bed and pillows allowed for good sleep. The hotel is next to a Jim and Nicks bbq, which is awesome. I thought the area was safe and clean. I didn't use the pool or fitness center, so I can't comment on that. I didn't experience any negatives here.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to send a review of the CY Hoover, Al. We value your feedback and it is always nice to hear the good things in addition to areas that we ma improve our product and service.
We are glad that we provided a safe, clean environment for your stay and that the Bistro was a concept tha you could utilize.
We thank you for being a Marriott guest and hope that your future travels will include one of the Marriott hotel brands.
Thank you again for your comments.

Reviewed 9 November 2013

This was my first stay at a Courtyard in several years. I usually find better hotels in a slightly lower price range. This hotel was in a good location for my business trip, so I bit the bullet and paid a slightly higher rate than usual. The gentleman who checked me in was friendly and professional, and the lady who took my key when I left was very friendly, but I didn't have many highlights beyond that. The layout of both the hotel and the parking lot were awkward, with lots of unnecessary walking. I'm guessing that from just about any room in the hotel, there's probably a long walk to get to the unmarked lobby, and I'm also guessing that many guests get lost. It seems like a half-mile walk down one hallway just gets you to another long hallway, with no signs for the pool or lobby or anything else. Not the most efficient layout for a hotel. And the elevator was also in an awkward spot, with button lights out and a loose ceiling grid. My bed was okay, and the television and remote worked fairly well (which isn't always the case), but the internet service was pretty lousy, and the A/C didn't work at all. It was set above 70, and I tried again and again to set it to 65, but it never turned on, and it kept resetting to above 70. Thankfully, it was a chilly night outside, so it wasn't unbearable inside. But there's no excuse for an A/C unit to not work in a Marriott hotel. And the shower head was just mediocre. When I left to check out, I passed three staff people, each of whom spoke, but two of whom were clearly just going through the motions because they were taught to do so. Breakfast was a huge disappointment. I've had many free breakfasts that were better than this paid breakfast. And it wasn't cheap. For $19, it should be a very good breakfast. The person who made the coffee walked it to the countertop six feet away from me, but didn't walk the last six feet, even though I was the only person in the restaurant, and there was nothing restricting her from walking another six feet. It's little things like this that make me realize that some hotels just don't understand that they're in a service industry. The Starbucks coffee was good, but the potatoes and sausage and toast were lousy. I mean lousy. When the room is a little pricey and they charge for breakfast, it should be a really good hotel experience, and this just wasn't, sad to say.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank David H

Dear valued guest,
Thank you for your honest evaluation of your recent stay at CY Hoover, Al. We value your comments and will certainly address each one with our staff leaders to make necessary improvements for future guests. I do apologize for the elevator button lights not working properly. The elevator service company has been out and repaired all bulbs. I am sorry for the amount of walking that is required by the layout of our hotel. When the hotel was built, the idea was to have as many rooms as possible surround our beautiful courtyard and pool. The building is built on an incline and the only place that all four floors meet is where ithe elevator was placed. We are working with our Bistro cooks to address your issues regarding the breakfast. Please visit us again to note the positive changes that have taken place. Again, we thank you for your comments and for choosing the Marriott brand.

Reviewed 31 October 2013

We spent two nights, while attending an Alabama football game. The hotel has a good location, with a lot of restaurants and shopping nearby. The room was comfortable, but the bathroom could have been a lot cleaner. I got up early, after our first night and went to get a cup of coffee. The hotel information folder says there is free coffee available, at the front desk, 24/7. The desk attendant was very nice and got a cup for me and charged me $1.75. Later, I got another cup and paid $2.29. Yes, both cups said they were from Starbucks, but the hotel information says the coffee is free! The hotel should delivers as promised or change its information. Don't waste your money eating breakfast, in the Bistro. Go somewhere else; get better food; and pay less.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank TankerSam
Edwin B, General Manager at Courtyard Birmingham Hoover, responded to this reviewResponded 2 November 2013

Dear Courtyard Guest:
Thank you for taking the time to respond regarding your recent stay at Courtyard by Marriott Hoover, Alabama. We value your comments and are striving to eliminate any negatives that guests encounter during their stay to make future guest experiences more pleasurable and stress free.
I certainly apologize for the mis-information found in your room directory regarding complimentary coffee in the lobby. We still offer complimentary coffee in each guest room and provide a single cup brewer with unlimited supply of coffee upon request. We proudly serve Starbucks coffee at our Bistro and since our renovation have opted to only sell coffee in the lobby.
Again I am sorry for this inconvenience and the mis-information regarding this matter.
We do hope that you will give us another opportunity to serve any future lodging needs in the Birmingham/Hoover area.
E. Baxter

Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover
Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover

Been to Courtyard Birmingham Hoover? Share your experiences!