“Bad smell, dingy room, terrible internet connection”

Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover
Ranked #5 of 9 Hotels in Hoover
Reviewed 15 August 2014

Room was spacious, staff member that greeted us was nice, but that doesn't make up for dinginess. For $20 more could have stayed at a Hampton Inn and not feel grossed out (kids opinion), especially since I was traveling with my two daughters ages 7 and 9. Rooms need to be renovated.

Bad smell in room, very humid even with a/c, dingy couch and carpet, a/c sounded like a jet engine, fan in bathroom same, felt dirty overall, although sheets appeared to be clean, wifi connection was unusable in room and lobby, felt like 56k modem. Nothing like the smell of a clean room and bed when you walk into a Hampton Inn room anywhere in the country.

Room Tip: Demand an updated room, if there is one, otherwise make them show you the room before you check in.
  • Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family

Reviewed 7 August 2014

We stopped here on our way to Destin with our family. We had two rooms. First room for us had used soap laying around so we asked for another room, who knows if that one was really cleaned. Second room had an extremely outdated bathroom and fixtures (the first one must have been updated). Around 2am, I got up to use restroom and realized our OLD toilet was clogged, I called down and was told maintenance wouldn't be back until 8-9am and he could bring me a plunger to fix the toilet myself...um, no thank you. I don't want your community plunger. Who doesn't have maintenance on hand 24/7? What if air goes out in a room?? Bottom line, I used my parents hotel restroom in the middle of the night since the staff was not helpful. And, my parents room had dirty towels hanging on the bathroom door, they asked someone from the desk to come get them from their room. Then when my sister when to get sheets out to sleep on the couch, everything was dirty. I would say there are plenty of hotels in the area and I would definitely find another one to stay at! I felt dirty after leaving this hotel!

• Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 3 August 2014

Stayed here in August. This place is located in a very good place, close to walmart , next door to chick fillete and hampton inn. There breakfast is pretty good. They had sausage links ,scrambled eggs , pancakes, muffins , toast fruit , juice milk and cereal. They also have an outdoor pool decent size and basic maintence. Not dirty but nothin impresive. Best sell for me was it was clean. Front desk was helpful and parking available in front and back. Place was pretty filled up in aug. Would stay again.

Stayed: August 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We arrivier on a Sunday afternoon. The staff was very helpful and friendly. The room was very quiet and a little big too big. The sofa was not needed. The bathroom was rather small in comparison. The hotel was allowed us to make use of the conference room facilities.

The breakfast was good, fresh and tasty.

We would come again

Room Tip: Chose a room to the back side of the Hotel. Beautiful view into the Forest
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 July 2014

This is the fourth time I have stayed still this location. It has been a year. The pool was cloudy and dirty. They need to have a good cleaning for it and I'm sure there chemicals are off. The staff is really great. They forgot to clean my room one night after a long day of play. I was just given a I'm sorry. I think they probably are ready for a renovation. The staff and manager are very nice.

Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Judy T
Reviewed 29 July 2014

The hotel was just lovely. Great place, great people. The front desk staff could use a little service improvement with their communication, but I'm a very harsh critic of that...The rooms were WONDERFUL. Very clean, very modern, very nice and comfortable. There was lots of "living" space, as well as the room itself, as well as a fridge and little sink area! The breakfast was AMAZING with tons of options and choices. The location is just wonderful--lots of shopping and restaurants nearby as well as a LARGE shopping mall! I would gladly stay there again!

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Reviewed 20 July 2014

Mixed bag on this hotel visit. Husband and daughter traveling with me. Booked a room through Hotwire for $70. Staff very friendly at check-in and very prompt. Gave us a room on the fourth floor. Stepped off the elevator and noticed a VERY strong odor. Only way to describe it is like a tom cat marking his territory. Walked down to our room, opened the door and the smell was still there. Room only had one bed and we needed two. Called down to change rooms and again, very helpful, friendly staff switched us right away. First floor room with two beds, thankfully, had no hint of odor. Pros: Huge spacious room, desk, free wifi, big sofa, refrigerator, great shower. Cons: No microwave, closet door off rails, coffee cups not clean. Took daughter out to swim in the pool. Pool area needed attention. Ladder had a broken step. Pool deck looked in need of some minor repairs. Water was a bit cloudy, but not too bad. Great free breakfast. Eggs, sausage, cereals, etc. Bottom line, it was a good stay for the price. Just seems the property is showing its age (or lack of TLC) a bit. For one night, it was fine. If you can get a deal, (and avoid the 4th floor) go for it.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
Also consider these accommodations in or near Hoover
Holiday Inn Birmingham-Hoover
Hyatt Regency Birmingham - The Wynfrey Hotel
Hampton Inn & Suites Birmingham-Hoover-Galleria
1 mi away
Residence Inn Birmingham Hoover
Embassy Suites by Hilton Birmingham-Hoover
Candlewood Suites Birmingham - Hoover

Been to Hyatt Place Birmingham/Hoover? Share your experiences!