“Nice, but a few little bugs”

Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South
Ranked #12 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 16 August 2012

Hotel is clean, very typical Garden Inn, which I usually enjoy. A few small things forced to downgrade:

They just could not get the TV working properly. I don't even watch much TV, but it's annoying to call down everytime it wouldn't turn on. 4 different times when I tried to turn it on, I would get static, nothing, or PBS. A service call would get it running again, but not for very long. Sometimes not even a single off/on cycle.

The closet was missing one of its 2 sliding doors. It was just odd.

Everything else was great. not sure why they couldn't get the little stuff right, though. Parking and www were free. Room wired access was pretty good...not super fast, but not tiringly slow, either. Shower was good.

I do like the Garden Inn 'select a firmness' mattresses.

Housekeeping and front desk were super nice. Appreciate all thier help.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 29 August 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. While I’m thrilled to hear our staff was friendly and helpful, I regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of evaluating opportunities for improvement and appreciate your input!

Reviewed 30 July 2012

Stayed at the HGI recently, the staff always greeted me, the bar area was nice and well stocked, the dinner and breakfast area was clean and bright. Had dinner and breakfast. Not outstanding, but tasty and filling. The room was clean and quiet and very large (thats always nice). Bit odd that the bathroom door shuts automatically.

There is no sign off the Parkway to direct you here, but you can see the Hampton from the main road and this property is only 100 yards up the side road. Stayed here on a weekend and it was very quiet.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

Here at the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South it is always nice to see such a nice review.
We are glad to hear you enjoyed your week end and look forward to seeing you again soon.

Reviewed 15 July 2012

The location was good...very quiet and peaceful. The customer service was good. The rooms were very clean and more than sufficiently equipped with toiletries and linens.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

We are always glad to hear from our guests and are pleased our hotel the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South met all your needs. We look forward to hosting you again in the future. Thank you for your great review.

Reviewed 9 July 2012

My young son and I stayed here overnight during late June and it was a relaxing , fun, overnight stay. We live reasonably close to this hotel but needed to stay overnight as I was having some construction done at our home and wanted to avoid being in the way. The room was nice and clean, the lobby and other shared public areas were well lighted, pleasant, and the staff friendly. There were freshly baked cookies in the lobby which my son enjoyed. The main reason I chose this hotel for our stay was because they have a 'heated' indoor pool and hot-tub. I knew that would be enjoyable for both my son and I. However, this was the only slight disappoint during our visit. The pool and hot-tub areas were well maintained, and the hot-tub was wonderful - but the pool was cold. I called the lobby to ask if the pool was indeed heated, and they said it was and I told them it was too cold. They said they would check on it but I never heard anything back and the next morning the pool was still cold. It was late on a Saturday night when I reported it so I am not sure if there was anyone there who could address this problem or not. The pool also seemed to have a much higher content of chlorine than required, which burned my son's eyes. Otherwise, I found our stay to be great and if I needed a local hotel in the future, I would stay again.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 16 July 2012

We are glad to hear you enjoyed our hotel during your home renovations. We are also sorry about the pool being so cool. We are looking into that. We look forward to hosting you again in the future should the need arise.

Reviewed 29 June 2012

First this hotel is back off the main road but quiet and very pretty. It does take a really long time to turn left at the light onto main road though.
Hirant was the front desk person and always friendly and helpful. In fact all the front desk people greeted everyone daily and helped as needed. Good customer service.
I had 2 main issues with this room-first the a/c is controlled by some new thermastat with eco-mode and room was really hot when entered and it took a while to get it cool. Keeping it cool also difficult. I like to sleep with fan on but no way to keep it on. Other issue with bed-not very comfortable. Tried to adjust it twice but still just not comfortable. They do have decent pillows though-some firmer and some soft which is nice!
Room clean, on small side for 2 queens, bathroom good size. Bathroom door does stay shut and makes it stuffy but weighted garbage can took care of that to keep door open. Good water pressure and decent massage showerhead. Kings only have walk in showers.
Originally checked into king suite on 5th floor but it backed up to ice machine, pop machine, and elevator. Didn't stay to see if noisy. Room very spacious though with couch.
Quiet stay, no real noise issues.
Parking free. Restaurants nearby but need car. Restaurant for breakfast ok but 2 of 3 days had to find cook. Also first day plates and bowls with visible dried food yet staff left them for people's use. Need to work on that! They offered free strawberry lemonade all day/night for 1st 2 days and then cucumber/basil water I think 3rd day. Nice touch.
Not sure if would return due to a/c/fan thermostat issues.

• Stayed: November 2011, travelled on business
Management response:Responded 6 July 2012

Thank you for taking the time to provide feedback regarding your stay. While I’m thrilled to hear our staff was friendly, I regret that the hotel did not meet your expectations. We are in the process of evaluating opportunities for improvement and appreciate your input!

Reviewed 5 June 2012

For me, the minimum a hotel must offer is a clean, quiet room with a good mattress. Everything else is a bonus, and if you can get that bonus at the right price, you have a winner! And the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville was a winner. For starters, the hotel is set back in a business park, well away from busy roads and traffic noise. Don't you just love it when your hotel overlooks an interstate and you spend the night listening to 18-wheelers? No problem here! Beyond that, the rooms were unusually quiet. Usually you here toilets flush and T.V. noise through the walls, but that was not the case here, so either I had considerate, constipated neighbors or the hotel is well built and well insulated. Other nice touches: a REAL coffee maker that produced 4 cups of coffee that can be consumed from REAL coffee mugs. Those new one cup disposable everything coffee makers are rapidly becoming a pet peeve. The room also had a nice collection of toiletries and bar soap (no wall mounted universal soap/shampoo dispensers, another one of my pet peeves). WiFi was easily accessible in the room for free, and for those without computers, a business center was also available. An excellent hot buffet breakfast was included in my price but I understand there may be different packages to access this feature. In either case the breakfast was abundant and excellent.
OK, there had to be some shortcomings and I make it a point to find them in my reviews. In this case, the most significant thing I could come up with was the bathroom door. I thought my room was unique and wasn't going to mention it, but I noticed another reviewer commented on it so I guess the problem is universal. The door will not stay open! Consequently, the bathroom temp is about 5 degrees hotter than the room, and when you take the a shower, the mirror fogs up something fierce. So you end up propping the door open with whatever is available (a beer cooler worked for me!) just to get some air into the bathroom. The lack of ventilation is also a problem when, ahem, certain conditions exist that demand good ventilation.
So there it is; my negative comment. This was a small item in an otherwise most enjoyable stay. The little things set this hotel apart, and I got this upscale package at a competitive rate. And good value is what it's all about when picking a hotel, right? You get it here.

Room Tip: Avoid the room next to the laundry on the first floor.
  • Stayed: June 2012, travelled solo
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 14 June 2012

The management of Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South would like to thank you for taking the time to post such a nice review. We have been working meticulously to ensure guest rooms are clean and comfortable, offering a relaxing place for our guests to enjoy their time. We look forward to hosting you again in the future.

Reviewed 1 April 2012

The Hilton Garden Inn hallways are fresh and clear, but the rooms are stuffy and dank with windows that do not open and an HVAC system that circulates air like on an airplane. There is no ventilation control in the bathroom, not even a fan (it is supposed to be automatic), and the bathroom door shuts automatically. To keep the bathroom door open, you prop it with a running shoe (leather shoes don't work), but at night the bathroom is pitch black so I used a cellphone as a flashlight rather than turn on the overhead light. The desk setup is also challenged, with a pivot desk lamp that has a shade with holes that exposes the bare bulb. The TV is missing a lot of cable channels, so when I needed AMC, it wasn't there. And the hotel charges $ for breakfast, so if you just want a bagel and coffee, the staff was unclear about whether they should charge less than full price. I felt like I was stealing when I took an orange. I have stayed in dumpier hotels that were much more accomodating.

• Stayed: March 2012, travelled on business
Traveler1Tampa, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 3 April 2012

Thank you for taking the time to discuss the disappointment you experienced during your stay at our hotel last year. Your feedback is essential to our future success! Please know your comments are taken very seriously and will be acted upon immediately.