“Access to Local Gym, but Breakfast can be improved”

Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 28 July 2014

The main reason I stay at this hotel is because they offer complimentary access to a local gym nearby. It used to be Gold's Gym, but now it's the decently equipped SportsMED Fitness Center. The hotel itself is very clean and modern with very friendly staff. Rooms are very clean and comfortable with good selection of TV channels (and Keurig machine). Breakfast is not complimentary and can be improved. I was not able to get a hot cup of coffee during breakfast all week (barely warm), nor was the waiter able to understand what an egg-white omelet was.

Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 5 August 2014

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay at our hotel. While we are very happy that you chose our hotel for your recent stay, we are sorry that you were disappointed with some aspects of your breakfast. I have taken note of your valuable comments and will share these with our management team for the purpose of bringing improvements needed.
We hope that you will allow us another opportunity to serve you better in the future

Reviewed 25 July 2014

When you first walk into the hotel, it's like taking a breath of fresh air. The decor is gorgeous (I'd put their blue curtains in my house) and the 3? story lobby is so bright and airy and welcoming. The staff, especially Jackie at the front desk were so kind and always in a good mood and so helpful. The room's decor was little bit disappointing after the wonderful first impression. I stayed in room 419 and the dresser drawers weren't hung right and I couldn't open them without a fight equivalent to reeling in a marlin. The sliding shower door was slightly better, but still didn't want to cooperate without some stiff negotiation. There wasn't a bathtub in my room, which I would have liked, but it's not a deal breaker. The walls must have no sound dampening, because I could hear every word of a phone conversation from the man in the room next to me. The best thing about this hotel is its cleanliness. I've never seen a hotel that was so clean. Even the light fixtures and tops of the doors had been dusted and everything smelled clean and fresh. The indoor pool is great and I like that there were doors that lead outside from the pool area to get some sun. The hotel's location is perfect if you're going to Redstone Arsenal. It's just outside of gate one and has perfect access to the base and it's close to a Kroger grocery store (there's a refrigerator and microwave in the room). The location is very quiet because it's at the end of a dead end road that has an assisted living facility and a retirement neighborhood. There's also a large grassy area behind the hotel that's perfect for a pickup soccer game or a place for kids to run off some energy.

Room Tip: I was close to the elevator and didn't hear a thing from it.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 28 July 2014

We are glad you enjoyed your stay here at the Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South.Our team members are working harder than ever to deliver the exceptional service you have come to expect and appreciate your thoughtful comments!

Reviewed 21 July 2014

Very clean rooms, great location and would stay again. I was disappointed that due to a "wedding party" I couldn't check in after 1, although check-in was at 3 but normally, we never have to wait until check-in-time. There were wedding bags all over the guest counter when we arrived. I was also disappointed that they would not honor my AARP card because I didn't mention it WHEN I made the reservations.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2014

We are sorry about the problems encountered at check in but are happy you will be staying here again in the future. Thank you for your nice review.

Reviewed 17 July 2014

This hotel had some issues.

Pros: Easy to get to HSV; easy access to Redstone Arsenal; near Space and Rocket Center; staff are friendly; room was clean; little/no outside noise; bed was comfortable; sliding glass door in shower is a nice touch; exercise/weight room.

Cons: (1) the door to the rooms don't have a stopper on them to keep them from slamming shut. As a result, there were doors slamming shut late into the night. (2) during peak hours in the morning, the shower's water temperature fluctuated between hot and cold. (3) the walls are paper thin. I could hear my neighbor having a conversation about his finances easily.

I generally like HGIs, but with the doors not slowing before they slam shut and the thin walls I'm likely to look elsewhere first.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

I appreciate the review of your recent stay at our hotel. I understand that you were disappointed and that we came short of delivering what you are accustomed to expect from us. I truly apologize if this was the case and I can assure you We do everything we can to ensure our guests enjoy our hotel. With that said, I assure that your feedback is incredibly important to us and that I will definitely keep your review in mind to improve our in-property experience. We appreciate your business and sincerely apologize that we did not provide you with the level of quality that you are accustomed to receive from us. Your business is important to us and I will definitely take your comments into consideration.

Reviewed 23 June 2014

The bar/ restuarant food is good but terrible service on two different stays over a 6 month period. They only have one waitress on staff so it normally takes atleast 1.5-2 hours for a single meal. You're better off going to a local restuarant.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn
KanaHotelGroup, Manager at Hilton Garden Inn Huntsville South, responded to this reviewResponded 25 June 2014

We are constantly monitoring the performance of our hotel. Comments and suggestions from our guests enable us to improve and grow. Thank you for your review and we hope you will choose us on your next visit to our area.

Reviewed 21 June 2014

Lobby remodeled and is nice. Food in restaurants is great. Staff friendly. Indoor pool is nice. For a hotel this expensive however, was very disappointed in room. Slow internet. Hard (very hard) bed. A button that you are supposed to push to make it soft-- I did not notice any difference. Stayed hard. Gross looking large stain on wall of room. Mold in the bathroom. It isn't that the hotel is terrible, but there is another Hilton Hotel (Doubletree) on same street that is fantastic, so I guess I expected more (that one was full). If they would remodel the rooms and put in nice beds with down comforters...they would be a great hotel. The lobby and restaurant were great.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with Hilton Garden Inn

We are glad you enjoyed the lobby and restaurant but would like to apologize there were problems with your room. . Our guests’ satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. With this said, I will assure you that I will take your comments into consideration to improve our hotel.

Reviewed 19 June 2014

We recently stayed at this hotel for a soccer tournament, along with a few other teams. It was one of 2 hotel choices we were given by the tournament committee. The rooms were clean and the beds were comfortable. I will say 2 queens are hard to come by lately... a lot of hotels only have 2 doubles, so it was nice, especially since we are a family of 4. The lobby was nice and had a great lounge area to watch TV and visit. The amenities weren't what I expected for a Hilton hotel of this class - very average. No vent in the bathroom made it heat up pretty fast and the bathroom door won't stay open unless you prop it open with something heavy...this was a pain!

The "free" breakfast was ok, fruit, cereal, toast... but if you wanted to order an omelet or pancakes you had to pay $9, not really worth it.

The service was not that great, the staff seemed very unorganized at check in and not helpful when the room keys kept deactivating, this happened to almost everyone in our group more than once.

The pool had so much chlorine in it that it burned my eyes just sitting in there watching the kids swim. We had to prop the door open and watch from the patio. Also, the pool was closed after the first day - which was HORRIBLE! Most of our teen players have younger siblings and one of their favorite things to do at these tournaments is to swim at the hotel - it can be a long time between games. It remained closed for the next 2 days. We were there for 4 days and only got to use the pool one time. They arranged for us to use a neighboring hotels pool on the last night (after we suggested it) but that was a pain.

Overall it was a nice hotel, not great but just some details to iron out.

Room Tip: Accessible rooms were huge, other rooms were a bit tight where the bathroom door opens and the room...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with family

Thank you for your honest feedback. We are sorry we were not able to provide you with the quality of services you deserve and the problems with the pool.. Your satisfaction is very important to us and we try hard to make sure all of our guests have a rewarding stay. Thank you again for your feedback and we hope you will consider staying with us again.