“not a good experience”

Huntsville Depot Museum
Ranked #18 of 68 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: During the Civil War, this depot was a prison for captured Confederates and a hospital for the wounded.
Huntsville, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“not a good experience”
Reviewed 25 April 2013

I live in Huntsville and have never gone here before. i walked in to quickly see what was there and admission etc.. so I could bring back my family if it was neat. They scolded me for going in the wrong entrance and demanded the 12.00 from me for walking the wrong way and not paying admission, I will NOT be back!

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Dewey C

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
164 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 215 helpful votes
“Very cute train museum and neat history”
Reviewed 28 March 2013

I visited the Depot museum with my mother and twin 5 year old boys on a Wednesday in March during our Spring Break. We were almost the only ones there. We had the train play area for kids all to ourselves. We bought the admission here along with a package to the Early Works Children's Museum.

It has its own parking lot which is great. The train tracks run right next to the museum so you can see the trains go by very fast up close. They built a brand new train play area for kids. It has a depot diner, play train, ticket counter, garage, toys for kids to pretend play. My boys had fun in this part. It also has a three story building that used to be the old station. Upstairs is a bunch of great Civil War history stuff like graffiti on the walls from the Civil War and a bunch of old Civil War items and information.

They have a model train exhibit but it is kinda run down and only has one small train running on it. Unfortunately a lot about this museum is run down. We still enjoyed it though and would love to see it fixed up. They have an adorable trolley that runs around the property but we were very sad because it broke before we got a chance to ride it that day. I had some depressed little boys about that. They told us we could come the next day if it was fixed and ride it again but when we called it was still not fixed the next morning.

They had one employee in period costume and in character which was fun. It seemed like they just have some kinks that need to be ironed out to make it a 5 or 4 star attraction. They also had one trains and train cars you can go on. Also an old garage with old trucks, fire trucks, cars you can sit in and pretend to drive. My boys enjoyed that. Also a turntable and roundhouse. They rent out the roundhouse for events and it looks like a great place for a wedding reception, birthday or anniversary party.

If we lived in Huntsville we would probably have a membership here and come often. The bathrooms next to the play area needed attention.They were a little dirty. The Depot museum is right next to the Veteran's Memorial.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank aprilsumner
Montevallo, Alabama
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Great depot with train cars, a fire engine, graffiti, and more”
Reviewed 17 March 2013

If i remember correctly, admission was $8. You are given the option of a guided tour or to go off on your own. I opted for the tour. First, i watched a brief film on the history of Huntsville and the depot itself. Then an informative guide showed me through the depot. There is one section with wax figures that actually come alive and talk about the daily operations of the depot. The downstairs consists of the men's lobby, the ladies lobby, the ticket office and a small gift area. The second floor has many items on exhibit plus a large model of what the depot and surrounding areas looked like around 1860. The third floor is mostly the preserved graffiti written on the walls from the civil war era and the late 1800's. Outside there are train cars and a locomotive to explore. Behind that, there is a building that is set up to resemble an old gas station. There is a vintage fire engine inside and a few old cars. This is a great little excursion if you are in huntsville.

Visited March 2013
1 Thank autigerrealtor
Decatur, Alabama
7 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 31 helpful votes
“Like trains? You'll like this!”
Reviewed 27 January 2013

From the train outside to the miniature on display, you can see and experience trains here. There is the trappings of a "real" train station form the ticket office to the waiting room. You can expect to see the old time passengers coming through the door in their hoop skirts to sit down and wait for the old trains.

2 Thank bamagran
West Nyack, New York
12 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 15 helpful votes
“Depot Museum”
Reviewed 23 January 2013

Unfortunately, like so many other things in Huntsville, this museum is closed in January and February. I wish we had known before trying to visit. It is close to the visitor's information center though so if you're there in other months it looks like it's worth a visit.

Visited January 2013