“Huntsville's Train Station History”

Huntsville Depot Museum
Ranked #18 of 68 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: During the Civil War, this depot was a prison for captured Confederates and a hospital for the wounded.
Madison, Alabama
242 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 401 helpful votes
“Huntsville's Train Station History”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 August 2013

The wife and I popped into town just to visit this museum. We bought an annual pass that gets us in to all three affiliated museums for the year, it was cheaper by $5 than the price to enter each museum individually. I have a thing for trains so this place has been on my to do list for quite some time. We started with the 12 minute video with some basic Huntsville history before walking the three stories of the depot. There is a gift shop and bathrooms of course as well as a picnic area outside. There was also a "party train" that looks to be a caboose that you can rent to hold children's birthdays. I would have liked to explore the grounds more but the heat was too oppressive today so I opted to quit and return in cooler weather since I have the season pass. This is probably on the top 25 things to do in Huntsville. The staff is super nice, stop in and get the tour.

Visited August 2013
3 Thank kkibby43

Atlanta, Georgia
26 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 24 helpful votes
“Wonderful for all ages”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2013

This has something for everyone. The museum is well set up giving you a feeling for what it was like as a real depot. Upstairs you are treated to Civil War history.
Then there is the rail yard with trains to climb on and an old garage with a fire truck where you can dress up as a fireman and play.
I can't wait to come back and bring my grandson!

Visited June 2013
Huntsville, Alabama
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 4 helpful votes
“not a good experience”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 April 2013

I live in Huntsville and have never gone here before. i walked in to quickly see what was there and admission etc.. so I could bring back my family if it was neat. They scolded me for going in the wrong entrance and demanded the 12.00 from me for walking the wrong way and not paying admission, I will NOT be back!

Visited April 2013
4 Thank Dewey C
Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 209 helpful votes
“Very cute train museum and neat history”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

I visited the Depot museum with my mother and twin 5 year old boys on a Wednesday in March during our Spring Break. We were almost the only ones there. We had the train play area for kids all to ourselves. We bought the admission here along with a package to the Early Works Children's Museum.

It has its own parking lot which is great. The train tracks run right next to the museum so you can see the trains go by very fast up close. They built a brand new train play area for kids. It has a depot diner, play train, ticket counter, garage, toys for kids to pretend play. My boys had fun in this part. It also has a three story building that used to be the old station. Upstairs is a bunch of great Civil War history stuff like graffiti on the walls from the Civil War and a bunch of old Civil War items and information.

They have a model train exhibit but it is kinda run down and only has one small train running on it. Unfortunately a lot about this museum is run down. We still enjoyed it though and would love to see it fixed up. They have an adorable trolley that runs around the property but we were very sad because it broke before we got a chance to ride it that day. I had some depressed little boys about that. They told us we could come the next day if it was fixed and ride it again but when we called it was still not fixed the next morning.

They had one employee in period costume and in character which was fun. It seemed like they just have some kinks that need to be ironed out to make it a 5 or 4 star attraction. They also had one trains and train cars you can go on. Also an old garage with old trucks, fire trucks, cars you can sit in and pretend to drive. My boys enjoyed that. Also a turntable and roundhouse. They rent out the roundhouse for events and it looks like a great place for a wedding reception, birthday or anniversary party.

If we lived in Huntsville we would probably have a membership here and come often. The bathrooms next to the play area needed attention.They were a little dirty. The Depot museum is right next to the Veteran's Memorial.

Visited March 2013
3 Thank aprilsumner
Montevallo, Alabama
109 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 141 helpful votes
“Great depot with train cars, a fire engine, graffiti, and more”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2013

If i remember correctly, admission was $8. You are given the option of a guided tour or to go off on your own. I opted for the tour. First, i watched a brief film on the history of Huntsville and the depot itself. Then an informative guide showed me through the depot. There is one section with wax figures that actually come alive and talk about the daily operations of the depot. The downstairs consists of the men's lobby, the ladies lobby, the ticket office and a small gift area. The second floor has many items on exhibit plus a large model of what the depot and surrounding areas looked like around 1860. The third floor is mostly the preserved graffiti written on the walls from the civil war era and the late 1800's. Outside there are train cars and a locomotive to explore. Behind that, there is a building that is set up to resemble an old gas station. There is a vintage fire engine inside and a few old cars. This is a great little excursion if you are in huntsville.

Visited March 2013