“I've never been incarcerated but this place sure gives you the impression of prison without the guards, guns and fences.”

Value Place Huntsville University Drive
Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

We had never stayed at this type of motel before. We made a reservation online and got there within 15 mins. Upon check in at around 4 PM, a copy of our drivers license was taken for both my husband and I. We were told it was for our safety and the safety of others and they do a sex offender background check on everyone. We were told they didn't have a room ready and they were surprised the website allowed us to make the reservation since no rooms were ready. The room ready in 15 minutes. It was like signing a lease....many rules and regulations.....reasons for eviction. We were told no smoking in our room. An employee we met on the elevator said floor one and two were non smoking rooms. We were on the third floor and the room smelled like smoke. We promptly headed to the door with our bags. This place felt like what a prison would feel like.

• Stayed: June 2013
7  Thank Arlene32182
ValuePlaceHSV, General Manager at Value Place Huntsville University Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2013

Dear Valued Guest,

I appreciate your comments, and apologize for any inconvience or misunderstanding that may have occured.

Personal safety isn't something you necessarily think about when it comes to extended stay hotels, motels, or even an apartment—until you've felt unsafe in one. At Value Place, we take "safe" seriously because your peace of mind matters. We've created a safer environment in so many ways.

Electronically locked 24/7, Value Place buildings have four interior-corridor entrance/exit points that require key card access. All guest rooms have window locks and self-closing doors with deadbolts and secondary latch hooks. You'll also feel safer knowing that 24 CCTV cameras are installed in public areas. Several Value Place employees are required to live in the building to uphold our rigorous safety standards. We also run a criminal background check on all of our team members and train them on how best to enforce our zero-tolerance policy.

At Value Place, we respect your privacy, which is why we won't give out the names of our guests to anyone unless required by the police—with whom we have a strong and effective relationship at the local level.To stay at Value Place, every adult guest must register at the front desk and sign an Occupancy Agreement that explains our rules and requirements. In addition to scanning each guest’s license/valid photo ID, we check names against the Family Watchdog/Sex Offender database—and we don’t know of anyone else who takes such important precautionary steps to help ensure the safety of guests.

We would hope that you will reconsider Value Place in the future.

There are newer reviews for Value Place Huntsville University Drive

Reviewed 23 January 2013

My mom and I stayed here with my infant daughter for a week. The hotel is clean enough, but when they say that they cut down on extras to lower the price, some of the stuff they have cut out is kind of ridiculous.

There are no lamps beside the beds, just overhead ceiling lights. This can be a little annoying when you are trying to get the baby down for a nap. Also, there are no hooks in the bathroom to hang towels, robes, etc. Hooks are dirt cheap, I think they could put in at least one. The other big thing that I found annoying is the entrance doors are not automatic. This may seem trivial, but when you are constantly lugging a baby, a carseat, and all the stuff that goes with a baby, not to mention luggage, everday needs etc, this is so annoying.

The walls/ceilings are thin and I could hear people constantly including someone above us banging and bumping around at 5:00 AM. I was also afraid of people hearing my child crying, so I did my best to keep her from doing that, but at 5 months old, that sometimes is impossible.

Also, this is supposed to be a non-smoking hotel and while I did see many people taking smokes outside, I smelled cigarette smoke several times inside the hotel. My mom is very sensitive to cigarette smoke and we found this to be very aggravating.

Other than that, we slept good on the beds, the place was clean, there is plenty of storage space for suitcases, etc. We got what we paid for.

Room Tip: Get a first floor room if you can.
  • Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank Sarah C
ValuePlaceHSV, General Manager at Value Place Huntsville University Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 25 January 2013

Thank you for the input on our hotel. I appreciate the suggestions for lighting and your consideration for your fellow guests. I hope that despite the lack of extra ammenities you enjoyed your stay and will stay with us again.

Reviewed 7 July 2012

I had to stay a week and something else would have been too much. They were a great price, but you have to pay a safety deposit of $100 plus you get slammed with occupational taxes unlike anything I have seen before so it is automatically double what you see online even though you do get the deposit back. Also, if you don't take out your own garbage there is a fee. Even though there is a kitchen, there are no pots, pans, utencils, nothing. So go to walmart or bring your own.

On the other hand, the staff is friendly and I felt safe. They have good security measures in place and it's close to a good number of stuff. The appliances are taken care of and worked better any other hotels' I have used.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
ValuePlaceHSV, Manager at Value Place Huntsville University Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 2 August 2012

I would like to thank you for taking the time to post a review regarding our property. It is nice to hear positive comments regarding our staff, rooms and pricing even though there are some costs that we are unable to control, such as local and state taxes. I would personally like to take the time, at your convienence, to discuss any other issues you may have had while staying here @ Value Place. Thank you again for staying with us and I look forward to hearing back fom you.

Reviewed 15 February 2012

We, my husband and I, had visited Huntsville a few times before and stayed in very substandard hotels. Before leaving from our last trip, we decided to take a tour of Value Place. We were very impressed by the courteous and friendly welcome and eagerness to show us a room. After seeing the room,we knew this would be the place to stay next visit. Well, now I'm writing this review from our comfortable studio. This has been an awesome experience in hotel accomodations for us. My husband and I are very particular about cleanliness and this place is emaculate! To our surprise, we've learned that people actually live here! And it makes sence. As a temporay residence, Value Place is economically ideal. Starting from as low as about $750 a month you can live worry free from utility, cable and phone bills. And it's safe and secure. I love this place I would recommend it highly to everyone who traveling where ever a Value Place is.

Room Tip: Always check reviews to see how others feel about a place before you book. And if you are a frequent...
  • Stayed: February 2012, travelled as a couple
2  Thank VJohnson2
ValuePlaceHSV, General Manager at Value Place Huntsville University Drive, responded to this reviewResponded 23 February 2012

Thank you for such a positive review, I am glad that you were so pleased with your stay. We here at Value Place-Huntsville always strive to make our guests' stay as warm & friendly as possible and guest compliments like yours help to remind us of what is important. Thank you again for your patronage and we will be looking forward to seeing you again in the future.

A. Clark

Reviewed 14 June 2011

I stay at Value Places frequently as I work on the road. I have to say that the employees shine at this location. From the time I first checked in, until the day I left, I was always greeted with a smile and a very friendly hello. They keep a very clean and safe place to stay. I will definantly stay again if work brings me back this way.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled on business
1  Thank trey_akin
Reviewed 5 September 2008

I stayed here two weeks. I was traveling alone (40yo woman) and was a little worried about the place at first but I shouldn't have been. The place is brand new and it looks like it was built on the cheap but what do you expect for $200/wk? the carpet is really thin, towels are thin, cheap appliances, but it is what it is.

There are no frills ~ literally ~ be prepared to buy toilet paper and stuff like that because there is no housekeeping every day like a hotel.

This place houses mostly construction workers but I am a defense contractor that just relocated to Huntsville and was waiting for my apartment to be ready.

As far as security, I left my laptop there most days and nothing had ever been moved. I had zero problems.

The only downside I can mention is how thin the walls & floors are. Every morning at 4am the guy above me would clomp around in his damn work boots ~ for those of you that wear boots and wake up early, can ya please walk around in your socks til you leave? ;-)

• Stayed: August 2008, travelled on business