“Wedding Nightmare, frequent DOD traveler”

SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown
Ranked #11 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 8 April 2014

I recommend anyone who is considering using this hotel for Wedding, and as a DOD employee, business people and Defense employees to STAY ELSEWHERE. Upon our decision to use this hotel, we were told that we could use the shuttle service for our wedding guests. They specifically said "It’s not within our normal mileage, but we will do it for you. Our drivers get bored." This was why we set up a room block here in the first place. Even the day I checked in, 4/4/2014, I was told the shuttle was scheduled still. The next day, they said that our shuttle was disapproved only hours before the wedding. I was DECIEVED and LIED to as a guest. I told them to have the manager call me several times throughout my stay, I still have not heard from them. In addition, my brother checked in and was given a key to a room that had NO SHEETS, and was a MESS!! Sounds like poor management to me. Lastly, I brought my wife breakfast in bed only to realize that the biscuits were straight DOUGH and UNCOOKED. I took pictures and am more than willing to share them, feel free to email me. Sadly, I wouldn’t even be writing this review if management took care of this situation. My wife emailed the corporate office and we hope to hear back soon, and when I do I will update the review. Otherwise, DONT STAY HERE! Many of my guests reported similar problems to me which they will be writing reviews as well. Simply put, its aesthetically nice, but a total nightmare to stay at.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
3  Thank Tedr03
Randy S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 11 April 2014

Dear Tedr03,

I would like to first thank you for choosing our property for your recent stay. I know you have many choices to choose from, so we do appreciate you choosing our SpringHill Suites Marriott Huntsville Downtown.

The inconvenience in which you endured at our property in regards to the shuttle services shouldn’t have occurred. I will not make excuses; we on our part should have been more proactive in exploring the details of your group. We do not allow our complementary shuttle to go outside of the 5 miles radius of the property. I agree with you and your comments that you should have been updated with our property’s policies and procedures in the beginning.

I cannot thank you enough for your feedback and allowing us the opportunity to serve you. This provides our team the feedback necessary to become the best in the industry.

Best,

Reviewed 1 April 2014

I was worried when I saw the surroundings (unattractive city) and the lobby, which was plain and utilitarian. However, the actual room was spacious, with two bathrooms, the most comfortable mattress and pillows that I've found yet, good temperature control and a window that opens, and a fridge and microwave. Best of all, the continental breakfast was the BEST I have ever had at a hotel. There was greek yogurt, fresh baked muffins and sweet bread, fresh strawberries and other fruit, freshly cooked oatmeal with the option of organic agave and two kinds of nuts, raisins and brown sugar to put on top. There was also the usual scrambled eggs, bacon, turkey sausage, and several breads that you could toast yourself. I'm sure there was more- it was incredible. The workout room was small but had two treadmills and free weights. The hotel staff were friendly and helpful. Transportation to anywhere within 5 miles was offered free. Nice place.

1  Thank Lauren J

Dear Lauren,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the online review. We are delighted that your stay with the SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown was enjoyable. We certainly appreciate the feedback with all 5 Stars!

Everything we do is aimed at providing you with an excellent hotel experience and your feedback is extremely valuable. We truly appreciate your business and look forward to servicing you in the future. Thank you for sharing your thoughts with us!

Best ,

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at Springhill for work. It was the closest hotel to my training that would give government rates. The room was large and very clean. It was nice to have a separate sitting area. The refrigerator and microwave made left-overs a possibility after a huge dinner. The staff were extremely helpful. They were willing to transport patrons around town in the van without charge. And the breakfast was phenomenal for a hotel. Each day fresh fruit, eggs, potatoes, bacon/sausage, waffles, oatmeal, pastries..... Certainly the nicest place I have stayed at for the price. The only issue I could see is if someone is sensitive to noise. There was a train periodically nearby.

Room Tip: If you are sensitive to noise, you may not want a room above the fire pit out front when it might be...
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Randy S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 1 April 2014

We appreciate you choosing to stay with us at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, and we thank you for writing a review. Your comments are important to us as guest satisfaction is our highest priority.

Please know we have addressed your noise concerns with all staff members in order better serve each of our guest’s requests. Thank you for your kind words of our friendly staff, clean accommodations, and value added amenities made for an exceptional stay.

Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area. Thank you once again for writing.

Reviewed 21 March 2014

I stayed here in March 2014 while in the area on business.

The room is a bit larger than normal rooms (I think), but it has a different configuration. There is a small sitting area and a small desk. The bathroom is separated into two rooms - one for the toilet, and one for the shower and main sink. That was a little odd, and not sure I would like it for the long term, but it was no big deal. The room had a light, mod look to it, not like the traditional Marriotts. Plenty of electrical outlets, which is definitely appreciated, and it had a fridge and microwave. The room was in good shape and clean. My window gave me a spectacular view of the highway.

Parking and internet are free. The breakfast area had enough room, and the breakfast itself was pretty good, with hot food in addition to the usual pastries and fruit. No complaints there. The staff was friendly enough. The location is close to downtown, but may be a little too far to walk for most folks.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Randy S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 24 March 2014

Dear va_trailrunner,
Thank you for taking a moment to write a review from your experience at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown. We appreciate you choosing to stay with us while visiting Huntsville AL. We're pleased to know you enjoyed a comfortable stay. Please plan to visit us again the next time you travel to the area. Thank you again for your great review.

Randy Shoe, General Manager

Reviewed 9 March 2014

First, I will say that the hotel itself is very nice. The beds are comfortable. The breakfast is great. Being Marriott Gold Members, we stay at a lot of Marriott Hotels during the course of a year and the SpringHill Suites are our favorite brand. But this particular hotel was VERY noisy (and we always request a quiet room). The hotel is situated right near the main highway and more importantly, very near some train tracks. We were woken up every couple hours by a loud train passing through. In between that time, there were loud sounds from the highway such as ambulance and police sirens. We had earplugs, but to no avail. It was difficult to get a good night's sleep. We mentioned this to the front desk person in the morning who somehow seemed unaware that there were train tracks that close to the hotel though I can't imagine others haven't mentioned this before. It was SO loud.

We've stayed at several different hotels in Huntsville previously and this was our first time at this SpringHill Suites...I'm not sure we would choose to stay here again because of the outside noise.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family

Dear dbasl,

Thank you for writing a review from your stay with us at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown. We're happy to have had you as our guest, and we're thankful for the valuable feedback you’ve passed on to us.

I am sorry for the inconveniences you experienced with your room's noise levels. This opportunity has been passed along to our corporate office for immediate attention. We appreciate your review, thank you for your time, and hope you'll have an opportunity to return for a future visit.

Thanks again!

Randy Shoe, General Manager

Reviewed 2 March 2014

I came in town for a wedding and stayed 2 nights. I've never had bad experiences with a hotel - at least enough to write a review. Sounds from the pipes behind the walls woke me up in the middle of the night, water pressure and temperature decreased when other guests next door would flush toilet/take a shower, phone for the room was not hooked up, staff appeared to always be walking about joking around, not being helpful to guests. I am not a snooty guest, but I do like the occasional "hey, how are you/can I help you with anything?" To me, this was not a professional environment, especially to be a new hotel.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Randy S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 5 March 2014

Dear Michelle,

Thank you for taking the time to complete the on-line review and sharing your experience with the SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown. I certainly appreciate your frustration and disappointment with such unpleasant encounters at our property.

You indicated in your response that you had encountered some room issues. Please accept our sincere apology for the inconveniences that you had to endure. We take great pride in ensuring our guest’s satisfaction. Unfortunately, we did not meet your expectations. Our goal is to address your concerns so we can become the best in the industry.

Please be assured that we are taking immediate corrective steps to avoid such problems in the future. I truly thank you for your response and helping us better our property and staff.

Reviewed 24 February 2014

Stayed three nights last week at a conference. Hotel was very full but staff stayed on top of everything. Breakfast was very good and always had food. Coffee was great. Gym was clean and equipment worked. Room was well appointed and very clean. No issues and easy to walk to convention center but they also provided a shuttle.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
Randy S, General Manager at SpringHill Suites Huntsville Downtown, responded to this reviewResponded 27 February 2014

Dear Jon,

Thank for choosing our SpringHill Suites by Marriott Huntsville Downtown for your accommodations and for sharing your review of our property. We're delighted that you enjoyed your stay and the breakfast offerings. Your feedback is very valuable and we shared your experiences with our staff.

We look forward to seeing you on your return trips to our great city!