“Multiple stays”

Ranked #29 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Atlanta
“Multiple stays”
Reviewed 15 July 2008

I've stayed here several times since they opened. Each time I say I won't go back. The rooms were on the "very good" side when new, but renovations and general sprucing up are very past due. My biggest problem on every visit has been getting the accomodation I request and reserve. They never have the room as requested and never want to take the time to check to see if such a room is available. I was there this Memorial Day Weekend with my husband who had just gotten out of the hospital. We probably should have rented a wheelchair, but was told when I reserved that a room would be available close to an exit. When I went to check in, the front desk person said that one wasn't available and there was nothing at all on the first floor. She claimed she didn't know which rooms were close to exits on the upper floors and I ended up running all over the hotel myself to find a room close to an exit (there was nothing at all available close to the elevator). I finally found a room which was marked non-smoking, but reeked of stale cigarette smoke. I probably should have just cut my losses and found other accomodations at a hotel willing to offer assistance, but we had driven many hours so we just stayed. Not a good decision.

• Liked — The location was near restaurants we enjoy and convenient to shopping
  • Disliked — Attitude of front desk person, as well as smell of smoke and lack of reserved accomodation
  • Stayed May 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank Basicaa

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (26)
Washington DC
Reviewed 10 July 2008

I stayed here for a business conference.

The hotel has a fantastic location off of a main road but tucked away in, what felt to be a very safe neighborhood. Lighting in the parking lot was great, doors were secured at sunset every night. Not 5 min away was a brand new shopping area with PF Changs, and numerous other restaurants and high end stores. You are only 2 minutes from University Blvd which has most of what you need while you are there.

The hotel's exterior was newly updated, the rooms inside were clean but were dated. Not a problem for me as long as things are clean. It is an extended stay, so cleaning only happens upon your request, which was not a problem with me.

Management was wonderful, very kind, polite, friendly and helpful. The internet that is provided does not work very well, I picked up a wireless signal in surrounding buildings better than the cat 5 cable provided. There is a "store" in the lobby that has the basic neccessities and is nice, you report it on your honor and it goes on your bill, nice feature.

Also nice is that they have a gym, but with your stay you get complimentary membership to a gym on University. Doesn't look the like the gym is in a very good area, but the people are acutally nice and friendly inside, only issue there was when a fight almost broke out among the women in the tai bo class about what instructor they would have, but it was quickly and quietly resolved. I skipped class that day.

Overall good deal for what I paid for. I'm just happy with safe, secure and clean.

• Liked — Safety and Cleanliness
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed June 2008, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
2 Thank WorldlyTraveler81
WISCONSIN
Reviewed 26 April 2006

Stayed at the Candlewood 9-21 Apr 06 while attending a Government school. Property was clean and well maintained. Rooms have everything an extended stay person would need. Washer and dryers are plentiful and free of charge. Wednesday nights hotel offers a burger/hot dog cook-out in their gazebo which was really nice. Very easy to find and close to lots of restaurants and shopping (about 2 miles). Hotel is in a very comfortable area, I would walk the neighborhood nearby and always felt very safe. Staff and folks in the area were very friendly. Would chose to stay there again.

• Stayed April 2006, travelled on business
6 Thank CRNBRY3
Wichita, KS
Reviewed 23 January 2006

I stayed at Candlewood Suites from Jun-Oct 2005 while on assignment at Redstone Arsenal. This property is booked at least 50-75% of the time I was there by military or DOD employees.
I met some very nice people and had a good stay. Keep in mind that this is an extended stay property primarily (due to location) and is always busy. The staff was great and did all I asked for and more. They cook out once a week and that is free to all guests as are the laundry facilities, exercise equipment and DVD/VHS uses.
The kitchenettes were adequate and maybe could use a better venting process but overall it worked well. The dishes/utensils can be swapped out if you do not like them and all the towels you need are available. The only thing I missed was a pool. Could use one of those.
I got engaged in that place.............
This place is only 2 exits from malls and restaraunt row so it was all good with me. I would stay again anyday and I will be soon.
L.E. Tucson, AZ

• Stayed July 2005, travelled on business
4 Thank azroxx
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 September 2005

I just returned from an extended trip to Huntsville, AL. I chose Candlewood Suites because of its proximity to a class I was taking and because it has kitchenettes, which I thought would be convenient. I didn't know anything about the hotel before my trip aside from information I found on Candlewood's website, which looked pretty good.
The daytime staff was very nice. I was greeted warmly, and they were very helpful. The hotel itself is what I consider a dump. There was an overpowering plug-in air freshener in my room; the carpets were stained and looked dirty (I wouldn't walk barefoot on them); the furniture was cheap and uncomfortable; there was no exhaust fan in the bathroom; and the no-stick cooking pans were shedding their no-stick coating. Housekeeping service is only done once a week, and you have to take out your own trash. When you use towels, you have to take your dirty ones to the front desk to exchange for clean ones. My toilet stopped working the first night there, and when I called the front desk to report it they simply brought me a plunger and wished me luck. It turned out the toilet had to be plunged with every flush the rest of the night and the next morning. To their credit, management got it fixed the next day. I killed a roach in the bathroom on my first morning there, and decided enough was enough. I moved to the Marriott at Tranquility Base for the rest of my stay and was very comfortable there.

4 Thank A TripAdvisor Member