“I love the Candlewood suites but not this one”

Candlewood Suites Huntsville
Ranked #28 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 26 June 2014

Staff was very friendly and welcoming but the whole place was dirty and neglected the sheets where old and worn......the hallway carpet was disgusting and stained....It's a great chain but this one wasn't like any of the others

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
Heather S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 28 June 2014

I am surprised that you felt our hotel was dirty. We take pride with keeping it clean at our hotel. I can ensure our sheets are not dirty. Actually 90% of our hotel has been recently updated with new linen. We have a few rooms which has not been changed over, but those rooms still have fresh and clean sheets on them.

Our carpets are vacuumed daily, but with some of our construction workers staying with us it is sometimes a challenge to keep them as crisp as we would like.

I do hope that you come back and have a better experience. If you are in the area again, please call or email me so that I can assist you with your accommodations.

Heather Storey
256-830-8222
heather.storey@ihg.com

Reviewed 30 May 2014

Check-in went ok, but took far too long. The cleanliness of the entire property left much to be desired. Stairwells had strange stains on the carpet, along with something mysterious splattered on the walls. Found hair in our restroom, not to mention the terrible condition of the shower curtain. The morning of checkout, we called down for extra coffee and got this response : "I can't bring it to you, but you can come get it". I've never had a hotel say that to me. The air in our room never really cooled the room, so sleep was fitful. Being as tired as we were, we decided to suck it up. The ONLY good thing I can say about this property is Rachael seemed to genuinely be concerned about the guest satisfaction.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Jack M
Heather S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 June 2014

I am disappointed to hear that you did not have a pleasurable stay. We take pride in ensuring that our hotel is clean and ready for our guests. We do try to maintain our stairwells, but we currently do have guests who work outside and tread the Alabama red dirt throughout the hotel.

We offer our guests a welcome coffee amenity at our property. Additional coffee is available complimentary in our Cupboard area 24-hours. We do try to accommodate our guests who want additional packets for their room at the desk.

I am glad that Rachel was able to provide great customer service. We do hope that you will give us another opportunity when you come back to Huntsville to have a more enjoyable stay.
Please feel free to contact myself Heather or Audrey at the hotel.

Thank you for sharing.

Reviewed 19 April 2014

I stayed here for 3 weeks and have no real complaints. It is as advertised, clean, quiet, and centrally located to the tech industry in Huntsville. Shopping and restaurants close by, a few with in a 10 minute walk. Nothing jumps out as a pro or a con, it is just what you pay for. The only thing I would comment on is the white board near the entrance, one of the staff used it for what I would consider a politically charged comment. whether or not I may or may not have agreed, it was not the right forum for it and I could see how some may find it wrong.

Room Tip: This motel is far enough a way from traffic patterns so noise is low, most any room would be equal t...
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled on business
Heather S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 22 April 2014

Thank you for sharing your comments and sharing how you felt about what was written on the board. It is never meant for our employee to express their personal thoughts, so I would review this with my team. I am glad that you enjoyed your stay. And please next time you stay with us and you ever feel as though something might be done inappropriately; share it with me or any of my team members so that we can get it corrected.
Thank you again.

Reviewed 7 April 2014

I gotta tell you, I was concerned about a couple of things from my reservation experience, but it all worked out perfectly thanks to Manager Heather - She turned my frown into a smile that lasted my entire stay. She was totally pleasant and helped me get just the suite I needed for a meeting with a new Rep. Thanks so much, I'll see you again, for sure.

je

Room Tip: Look for Heather!
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank jethehokie
Heather S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 9 April 2014

It was my pleasure to help you. I am glad that we were able to turn it all around.

Reviewed 4 April 2014

I had my reservations about this hotel when my travel coordinator booked me into it and I was not mistaken. Not a complete and utter dump but close. I didn't really want to touch anything after seeing the state of the "comfy" clapped out leather chair in my bedroom. To be fair the staff were decent if somewhat indifferent. The store is interesting works on the honor system but other than a banana no healthy food options and I had no real breakfast options other than some really bad cereal. Thank goodness I was able to move to a Hampton In the next day. You get what you pay for for I am not going to rip this place it was you know just low quality. Note the beds suck if my bed was anything to go by.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Robert B
Heather S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 7 April 2014

I am surprise to hear that your accommodations were not at all suitable to you. We strive to provide a great hotel and great service to all of our guests. I do agree that our recliner is a bit worn and we are actually going to be replacing them this year. My apologies that you did not notice all the choices we have in our store, we offer bananas, apples and oranges. As well as yogurt, fat free milk, and low calorie breakfast sandwiches just to name a few of the options.

Thank you for taking time to share your comments and I do hope that you give us a try again one day.

Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had arrived late in the evening & had a confirmation e-mail from the company I was working for- they had already taken care of the bill for the room for 8nights, 9 days. I got there & Ms. Rachel said that it was a confirmation to 'hold' the room but had not been paid when my confirmation did not say that. She said she needed a copy of the card & an authorization form- I called my boss- had him on the phone at 11pm at night to get this taken care of. I explained to him what she needed & he didn't understand so I offered her to speak to him on my phone since he was already on the line- she said no he needed to call her & she proceeded to the guest behind me as if we were completely through. The phone number was not readily available as I looked around I didn't see it so I asked her for the number & she rudely told me it was on a card behind me. My boss on the phone was more offended than I was. He called & spoke to the gentleman she had been training who came in for shift change. When he got through there was an exchange of them sending him the forms that he needed to check me into my room. He filled the forms they sent him & an hour later I was still waiting because they said they never got the replied e-mail. He sent it 4 different times & called them 4 different times- in this exchange while I was waiting for an hour they called their boss & complained about the situation in front of me!!! There were a lot of guest that came in that hour- 1 of which had checked into a room & there were people already asleep in the bed there!!!! They had given him someone else's key!!! When they finally got the e-mail they said it wasn't the right information that they needed yet they said they sent him everything that they needed. They told him they needed a pic or copy of the actual card to pay for the room this time- they finally called their manager again & the okay was sent through finally at 12:40am- 1 hour & 40minutes later of me sitting in the lobby for this room to be paid for in full for 9 days. Because of the poor way this was handled my boss had me check out immediately the next day & you lost out on the other 7 nights & 8 days. I will not ever stay in another Candlewood Suites again & travel at least 6 times per year across the country. I am a restaurant manager & know guest services & this was the worst I have ever dealt with- my boss encouraged me to write this review because he was appalled by the poor service there & the fact that Ms. Rachel was training another employee. In total my stay was close to $700 for the week that I stayed somewhere else.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Calandria B
Heather S, General Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 4 April 2014

I would like to first apologize for you not having a good experience at check-in. I understand that your trip here started off very challenging with the difficulties you had from the airline to renting a car and then checking in at our hotel. I want to ensure you we do try to make each of our guests check in process as easy as possible. Unfortunately, when all the information is not provided to each party it does sometimes become stressful. When utilizing someone else’s credit card we have to be a bit persistent to ensure the security of each person’s credit card is not fraudulent used. I understand that you came in late that night, which is why we offered to utilize your personal credit card until we can get the required documentation from your company.
Either way, at no point should we have made you feel unwelcome at our hotel. I would share this information with my team so that we can all review that when requesting required information they we show some empathy to our guests and more willingness to assist them to get the proper information. I do hope that you give us another opportunity to have a better experience at the hotel.

Reviewed 27 March 2014

I stayed at the Candlewood Suites in Huntsville for work. The hotel was nice and the employees were friendly.
But, there was a large black hair under the top cover of the bed. A hair or two seems to be the average these days, so that’s what I’ll give for the overall rating.
Other than the hair, it was a nice hotel.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
IHGCare, Guest Relations Manager at Candlewood Suites Huntsville, responded to this reviewResponded 12 April 2014

Dear Mike E,

Thank you for bringing your experience to our attention. It was nice to hear that you like our hotel and friendly staff. Our goal is to provide superior customer service and a unique stay to all of our guests. We are sorry that the cleanliness of the bed did not meet your expectations. Your feedback will be addressed with the appropriate department to ensure we are providing the best stay for guests at all times. We hope that you will consider giving us another chance in the future. Thank you again for your comments.

Zelyn N