“Exactly what you expect - traditional German food and old-tyme Bavarian atmosphere”
Review of Ol Heidelberg Cafe

Ol Heidelberg Cafe
Ranked #4 of 644 Restaurants in Huntsville
Cuisines: German
Good for: Child-friendly, Special Occasion Dining
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations
Reviewed 12 August 2017

Expect a wait here as it is seems very popular with locals and visitors. There was a 45min wait on FRI at 5:30pm, and the wait continued until after 8pm. I got a seat at the bar which was just fine for this singleton. Met some nice people while seated there, everyone here for the same reason - schnitzels and/or wurst in every form and flavor, german beer on tap, kuchen (desserts) list as long as your arm.
The staff seemed a bit harried/hurried, but adequate service. Paying was a bit disconcerting as the barkeep took my card to the register in the other room and came back and served others for awhile. I finally walked over to the register to discover a dozen or so tix all stacked up. I confess to being paranoid about this type of situation (having replaced three cards in three years due to fraudulent activity). The firm needs to move to the Euro-style method of bringing the card reader to the table and doing the transaction on-the-spot. All Bavarian restaurants do this today, so drop the old-style and go with the new.

Despite that, I will be Bach.

Auf Wiedersehen...

Reviewed 11 August 2017

Our friends, my husband, and myself went to Ol Heidelberg last night. We had reservations because there is always a waiting time. The restaurant is very popular. The atmosphere is great. The waitress was wonderful, always smiling, just the kind of waitress anyone would like. The food was ok. I am a German and therefore very picky when it comes to German Restaurants. I had a Pork Schnitzel and Potato Salad. It was very good. I especially liked the cucumber salad which comes with the meal.. My husband and one of our friends hat the Jaeger Schnitzel and to me it looked rather poor. Their Schnitzel was thin and small, the gravy was runny, and the mushrooms were scarce. Like I said, I am from Germany and I cook a lot of German dishes. I couldn't see myself paying $24 for Rolladen, or $18 for Bratwurst. So far it was the best experience going to a German Restaurant.

Reviewed 10 August 2017 via mobile

Had lunch with friends recently to catch up and celebrate a birthday. Food was delicious! Server was friendly and they brought my friend a HUGE slice of coconut cake for her birthday. We were able to share the cake and she still had some to take home. Cake was divine.

Reviewed 8 August 2017

We have been eating at Ol Heidelberg for many years now, mostly special occasions because this is a special place to us. The food is outstanding and the service is very good. We have always had great meals. The entire menu is worth trying. Leave room for a choice of very good desserts. I highly recommend this restaurant.

Reviewed 8 August 2017 via mobile

A refreshingly authentic experience and I don't mean the old-fashioned music or ambiance. It's all about the food and that is closest to actual German cooking as I have tasted in a restaurant in the USA yet! Schnitzels have the thin, crispy layer of breading originally required and there is veal where veal, in this cuisine, is meant to be. Sausages and Krauts are hearty, the potato salads are flavored with the perfect vinegar. It will depend which local cuisine in Germany one tasted whether every dish feels just right for the individual, but here is a great place to enjoy this type of food, especialy if trying for the first time. Efficient, friendly service too, good overall experience.