“Despicable Double Standards for Dogs and Families! Don't go there!”

Residence Inn Huntsville
Ranked #23 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 29 October 2011

We stay in all types of hotels across the country, but you can't find a worst manager than the one in Huntsville Alabama at the Residence Inn by Marriott. We called about the dog policy...they said they were accepted without a fee... we checked in...told them about our dog....and no one mentioned any fee. After we had gotten settled in the room for about a half hour, the general manager of the hotel secretly shoved a one hundred dollar bill for the dog under the door. (A maid identified him.) When asked about it, he refused to dismiss it...saying the person at the desk should of mentioned it and it wasn't his fault. In the end, we paid 75 bucks for a one night stay. All in all, it was more money than what we pay in New York City! What a ripoff! So if you are looking for a hotel that says they are dog friendly, but really want to extort money from you... then stay there...We will never stay there again!.

Room Tip: Don't go there! It's not worth it!!!!!!!
  • Stayed: October 2011, travelled on business

Reviewed 28 July 2011

The rooms are great. They provide a great breakfast each morning and a pretty decent dinner Tuesday-Thursday. The staff, especially the cleaning staff, could be more polite and helpful.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
Reviewed 8 November 2010

The 2 bdroom, 2 bath suite worked well for me and my husband (in one bedroom), teen daughter (in one bedroom), and daughter's boyfriend (on pullout sofa in living room). The hotel is nicely decorated, and seems to be well-kept. Noise was never a problem....as it has been in the last 3 hotels we've stayed at this year (not a Residence Inn).

The only issue I had was a teenage-ish girl that was at the breakfast buffet. The hotel staff seemed to know her well.....not sure she was a guest but she was enjoying the buffet, and making a mess as she was partaking of all items....no sense of ettiquette or manners. It was frustrating to watch and had I not already finished selecting the item I wanted, I would have not wanted to partake of anything on the buffet.......in short, she was rather gross, and I repeat: making a big mess. Other guests noticed this as well.....everyone was looking......you couldn't ignore her, she was loud.

• Stayed: November 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank Bev1616
Reviewed 26 July 2010

I stayed in a 1-bedroom suite at this Residence Inn for a long weekend. It had a separate bedroom with a very comfortable queen bed, then a pull-out sofa bed (moderately comfortable mattress) in the living room. Very comfortable quarters for me and my two sisters. They serve an extensive free breakfast and have great manager specials (a light free meal) Tu-Th nights. The pool was great, too. Friendly, helpful staff overall. The location is convenient; there is a mall next door with a Super Target, and the hotel is not far from the Madison Square Mall. They cater to busy business people. You can order groceries, and the staff will deliver them free to your hotel room (although we didn't do this during our stay, it could be a very handy service). We had a suite with separate sleeping quarters and a full kitchen for the same price you would normally pay for a regular small hotel room. Very good value.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 12 October 2009

The hotel is fresh and probably very new. There were two large flat screen TV's (one in the bedroom, the other in the "living" room) in our studio. The bed was comfortable and the room very clean. The location is very good and near to restaurants and shopping.

Although we had no issues with the staff, there was a general arrogance and simply annoying look on the face of the lady at the reception (the one that worked in the morning). She never smiled, even though we did. She never greeted us, we always said "Good morning" first. She also did not make eye-contact when we approached the desk. Also instead of saying "yes" or "okay", she said "uh huh" (more like a "mmm hmm" sound with her mouth closed). She also sighed when we asked her to extend our stay by 2 days (so giving a hotel more business is a burden on their receptionist?) If I was the hotel manager, I would fire her on the spot. For such an amazing, cozy, and welcoming hotel, she is standing exactly opposite to the hotel's values.

Don't get me wrong though. I would recommend this hotel above all others in Huntsville based on everything (and everyone) else.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled on business
2  Thank W13
Reviewed 3 March 2009

I had a positive experience at Residence Inn Huntsville. Here are the details:

Staff - very professional, helpful and courteous

Cleanliness - From the front door all the way to the room, everything was clean. I don't know how long the hotel has been in that area, but it seemed the hotel was fairly new or they do a wonderful job at upkeeping the facilities.

Bathroom(s) - very clean and the bath towels were clean, too!

Military Discount - Military discount offered, but always check all rates because Military discounts doesn't always signify cheaper rate or least costly rate.

Noise Level - Noise level was mostly quiet. Never had a problem with loud noises or any noise at all.

Comfort - The rooms were spacious. I had a fireplace, living area and two bedrooms with 2 full bathrooms. The comfort level was excellent.

Access - Accessing the hotel was awkward and it's kind of hidden behind a Burger King, I believe. However, the surrounding area offers many eateries and shopping. The hotel is conveniently located in a busy area, yet, once you enter the area you feel that you're tucked away from the hustle and bustle.

Internet access - The hotel offered both wireless and wired.

Infrastructure - Excellent; the main door is located in a well lit area and you don't have to leave the hotel lobby to access your room.

Gym - There's a gym but it's small and do not offer much

Breakfast - I am a picky eater, so I've found other hotels that offered much better breakfast, but this hotel had a good variety and the breakfast was good. The breakfast staff wasn't very helpful. However, there were many choices to choose from, both hot and cold.

Parking - The parking was convenient. No matter where one parked, the main door was not too far of a walk away.

I would definitely stay at this hotel again and do recommend it to others.

• Stayed: November 2008, travelled on business
2  Thank smoochpop
Reviewed 28 September 2007

When my family had a reunion over Labor Day weekend, 2007 we stayed at the Residence Inn in Huntsville, Alabama. We became concerned when a housekeeper entered our room late one morning eventhough we had our "Do Not Disturb" card on the door handle. On Monday, I inadvertently left my purse in the room and to my dismay, my credit card had been stolen by one of the Marriott's staff. I have spoken to the Manager of the Hotel, emailed Marriott customer service, and filed a police report, but can not even get a returned phone call. Over the past 8 years,with my previous job, I traveled 3 days a week approximately 40 weeks a year and stayed at Marriott properties whenever I could. Due to this incident, I will never stay at another Marriott property. I strongly suggest that if you stay at this hotel, DO NOTleave ANYTHING of value in your room ...even if you are just going for breakfast, or swimming at the pool. Someone is checking your room to see if you are there.

• Stayed: September 2007, travelled with family