“Experience Beauty”

Huntsville Botanical Garden
Ranked #4 of 79 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: The Huntsville Botanical Garden is open year-round and boasts a picture perfect aquatic garden, a spectacular wildflower and nature trail and numerous specialty gardens and plant collections. The Children’s Garden and Nature Center contain the nation’s largest seasonal butterfly house and eight specialized gardens aimed toward the younger set. Children and adults alike will enjoy a stroll through the dinosaur garden, the space garden, storybook garden and more. Family festivals include Beaks and Barks, Huntsville Blooms, the Scarecrow Trail, and the nationally recognized Galaxy of Lights, and be sure not to miss our annual summer exhibits, designed to appeal to children and families. The Garden also has a gift shop, indoor and outdoor facility rental options, and education programs for all ages. The Garden is a privately run 501c3 non-profit, which receives a majority of its support from garden members, supporters, and corporate donors.
Useful Information: Activities for young children, Activities for older children, Wheelchair access, Food available for purchase, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

The building is so appealing.We were there during a "rocking chair exhibit".You could sit in the chairs.Rocking in those chairs was so much fun! The train was a hit with young and old.
The garden settings are beautiful.I would love to visit at the height of blooming season.

All reviews
"all ages"
in 29 reviews
"great for kids"

Reviewed 3 weeks ago

This place was amazing had something for everyone. hammocks, rock areas (painted rocks) playgrounds for various ages, lovely gift shop, amazing art work thru out the gardens and various places.

1  Thank Serenity J
Reviewed 3 weeks ago

We visited the gardens with our 12 year old grandson. He really enjoyed the visit, especially the Myths exhibit. We were given a special map locating the various mythical creatures, and he enjoyed tracking them down. Kind of a treasure hunt. The map also allowed us to view most of the garden while he explored his mythical adventure. Liked the outdoor railroad. The butterfly exhibit and children's area were also quite nice. The day was very hot an humid, but we were able to find nice shade under the trees through out the garden. Misting stations also helped keep us cool. All in all everything was very well thought out and enjoyable. The food in the cafeteria was also quite good. If we lived nearby, a season ticket would be a must for frequent revisits. Well done!

Reviewed 3 weeks ago via mobile

I moved here over a year ago and had not been to check this place out yet. I wasn’t sure if it would be right for an 8 year old boy. Today I decided to go check it out for lack of other new things to try.

The first thing is it cost $25 for my 8 year old son and I to enter. I told them it was my first time, and still, no one mentioned the special fairy map. We went exploring, and it was very pretty. There were lots of flowers and pretty trees with statues. After we were halfway through, another mom mentioned her children had been having fun finding the fairies from the fairy map. I told her no one had mentioned this to me, so we didn’t have the fairy map or even know about it.

We saw lots of lily pads and fish and a couple rabbits. My son loved that.

We walked all the way through. Luckily I had brought us each a bottle of water, but I saw others having a hard time with the lack of water they had brought. The drink machines in the back of the park were not working. Sporadic drinking water fountains in the park would be great. After all it is easily over 90 some days in Huntsville, like today. The heat index was over 100. I also passed a mom with a young child that needed to use the restroom badly. There were none spread out throughout the park. They were directed to walk back to the front by staff. With a young child, that’s hard to do.

We made it around to the children’s gardens. There were little spouts of water from various rocks and a rocket that shoots for one minute per hour. There was a space station with giant lego type blocks. There were a few small type playgrounds for little kids.

There was a small shallow wading pond for kids. There was one bench that fit about 5-6 parents that was not in the shade at all. There were lots of parents having to stand around because of the lack of seating or go off the trail and sit on a rock. My eight year old enjoyed it, but it was so hot for the adults letting the kids play.

I think the part we enjoyed the most was the butterfly house. They were landing on my son and he loved that.

As we were leaving the guy at the desk was telling an incoming customer about the fairy map. I was wishing they’d told us to make it a little more engaging for my son.

All in all my son had a decent time, but we won’t be going back for that price without some type of event, like maybe their Christmas lights or something. He just wasn’t interested enough. Maybe if there was a large playground or something it would have helped with kids a little older.

As for my point of view, it’s not something I would enjoy either with or without a kid with me. Flowers were pretty though and well maintained, as well as the little wildlife we saw. I however do love zoos. I wish Huntsville had one.