“Great Family Fun”

Earlyworks Museum Complex
Ranked #22 of 68 things to do in Huntsville
More attraction details
Owner description: Interactive children's museum focused on teaching about Alabama history.
Huntsville, Alabama
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 6 helpful votes
“Great Family Fun”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 July 2013

Have been here so often with my kids and grandkids over the years. Always a fun place and also a learning place....but don't tell your kids!!!

Visited July 2013
1 Thank WHFCSX

• Korean first
Richmond, Virginia, United States
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 11 helpful votes
“Well taken care of”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 July 2013 via mobile

I consider myself an expert when it comes to judging the quality of children's museums. I have been to a lot, and I've found that no matter how nice the exhibits are, if the musical instruments are strewn about in the kitchen and the construction tools have all been thrown in the water play, it's hard to enjoy it. This place has several beautiful exhibits that I felt captured my children's interest and were accessible to their limited skill sets. But most importantly, it was kept clean and organized by a small army of employees and volunteers. It was an absolutely delightful way to spend our morning in Huntsville.

Visited July 2013
2 Thank Anna D
Huntsville, Alabama, United States
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Not worth the money”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 19 June 2013

I lived in Huntsville for 30 years and have been to early works when it opened at 12.00 per person save your money and go to the US Space and Rocket Center instead, went on a Monday and nobody was there, great we had the place to ourselves but there was nothing our twin 6 year olds found new and interesting. The staff didn't turn anything on for us, the props were dirty and not clean worn most didn't work. When the staff saw us they walked away NEVErR asked or helped. Would not go back unless the price comes down and facelift on props. Save your money!

Visited June 2013
1 Thank Read K
Athens, AL
8 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Wonderful place to take the children”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 April 2013

I helped chaperone an elementary class field trip. The staff was great with the children! I would definitely love to go back again.

Soddy Daisy, Tennessee
163 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 209 helpful votes
“Very cool and lots of attention to detail”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 March 2013

I took my twin 5 year old boys to Early Works Museum in Huntsville. The part of town it is in is the historic part of downtown Huntsville and is very pretty. We parked in the parking garage on Gates Avenue right across from the museum. It is meter parking so bring change.

The museum is mostly set up with different areas or rooms which is nice because if one area is busy, you can move to another area and keeps it quiet. The only busy part was the Biscuit's Backyard which is the smaller kid play area for kids 6 and under. That part was very cute and fun with lots of fun things for young kids to do. It even had an area for babies 18 months and younger only.

The other parts of the museum are old timey general store, building with block area, a giant keel boat replica, etc. My boys really enjoyed the boat and the kidstruction building block area and the area in the back with train and car tables. We went on a Wednesday during our Spring Break. The crowd was manageable. I love the attention to detail with this museum. They have a beautiful mural along the back wall and neat architecture throughout.

It mostly focuses on the history of Alabama from coal mining to folk tales to the river to architecture to slavery etc. Very neat. We all had a great time. It was all indoors so a good cold or rainy day activity. If we lived in Huntsville I would definitely have a membership here and come all the time.

They do not have a restaurant but have a cute eating area with some snack machines and you are allowed to bring in your own food which is nice. Everything was very clean in the whole museum. At one point we were playing in the general store area and we turned around a few minutes later and that area was magically picked up again and set back to start. So the employees must be on top of their game.

I would highly recommend this museum for young children. We got a package deal with the Train Depot museum too.

Visited March 2013