“Not very impressive”

Bevill Conference Center Hotel
Bevill Conference Center Hotel
Ranked #44 of 53 Hotels in Huntsville
Reviewed 29 July 2012 via mobile

Stayed there since I thought it would be kept up since it was in the college campus. I was wrong; the hotel is maintained at a minimal level. Everything seems old and out dated. It is very dark in the main areas and the rooms. The room had a window that was about 2 feet by 2 feet and did not open. It was so dark that even on a bright sunny day, I had to keep a light on during the day.
Also, there are no amenities- no gym on site. No restaurant or lounge for after hours. They do serve a buffet style breakfast, lunch and dinner. But the food was bland and rarely ever really hot.
Overall, I would stay somewhere else next time.

• Stayed: April 2012
5  Thank knicksfan2012

Reviewed 5 July 2012

If it wasn't for the contract that this hotel has with the Corps of Engineers and Army Acquisition Support Center, there is no way that this place would ever stay in business. I had to stay in this hotel for 13 weeks while attending a course at UAH. Other than Iraq and Afghanistan, this lodging is the worst place I've been forced to sleep thanks to the Army. If I was actually paying out of pocket and could've chosen where I stayed, I would've left the Bevill Center after the first night.
1 - Dingy Rooms - The room didn't look like any care had been put into it since the 1980s. It was humid from the moment I walked in and didn't get any better. Any paper that I brought into the room would slightly wrinkle and become soft to the touch due to the humidity. I'm pretty sure they have green carpet to hide mold. The air conditioner in my room ran 24 hours a day for 13 weeks and my room was rarely cool. That might've been because there was a crack between the in-wall air conditioning unit and the wall that I could stick a ruler through. It let the Alabama summer heat into the room as well as a steady stream of small bugs.
2 - Room Servicing - It takes the housekeepers about 4 hours to clean the room. They clean the rooms all at once rather than cleaning one room from start to finish and then moving to the next. One person will strip the bed, another takes out the trash, another brings in new sheets, etc... The whole process takes about 4 hours. There were multiple times that I came back to my room at lunch and found my door propped open, a stripped bed, and the TV on from the housekeeping watching TV during their 4 hour cleaning session.
3 - Hotel Restaurant - The Army not only made us stay here for the 13 weeks, but we were supposed to eat Breakfast, Lunch, and Dinner at the Hotel restaurant Monday thru Friday. You'd expect them to have some healthy choices. Breakfast started off as the best meal. They served berries and had grapefruit halves, apples, and bananas. Over time they slowly started mixing in 'filler melons' with the berries - honeydew and cantelope. After about 3 weeks the bowl was mostly melon with a few berries sprinkled in. Then the fresh fruit bowl disappeared completely. I'm assuming this was done to save money. Alot of people ate the berries since those and the hard boiled eggs were the only healthy options. Everything else is greasy sausage, bacon, fake scrambled eggs, and pastries. They say they offer an egg white omelet, but that comes covered in grease. Lunches were usually OK but nothing special. I think they stayed safe with lunch because that is the meal most people actually ate and we sometimes had leadership from the Acquisition Center eat there too. Dinner was fine as long as you showed up when it first opened. One night I was told they wouldn't be serving dinner because they weren't expecting enough people to go there based on the amount of people staying in the hotel. Another night they had ran out of the only meat (pan seared snapper) that was offered. When I asked if anything else was going to be brought out to replace it, I was told that the chef was busy cooking short orders (burgers, quesadillas) and would 'get to it when it gets to it.'
4 - Maintenance - Mixed review - I had a buddy who complained about his air conditioner and had it replaced within 24 hours. But there was also a 5 day span where the shower water was cold every morning. On days 1, 2, 3, and 4 the issue was brought up to the front desk and students were told that the issue was being worked on. Finally on day 5 the students brought the issue up with the Acquisition Center leadership. We magically had hot water the next morning.
5 - Staff - The majority of the people who work here are friendly, but that didn't make up for the rest of the experience.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
3  Thank KDR35
Reviewed 15 July 2010

I'm rather disappointed in what has become of Holiday Inn in general.
This one shows why. It's outdated which I guess isn't a huge issue visually but there was a general gross mustiness. The carpets were icky. Worst of all the mattress was lumpy and mushy. They dressed it up with nice linens but that didn't help my nights sleep.

The desk staff were rude. It's confusing trying to find the room. The buttons in the elevator didn't really work correctly. Breakfast was pretty basic and at usual high hotel prices.

I'll do everything I can to try to avoid staying here again though with business you stay where they tell you.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business
4  Thank GeorgiaStarry
Reviewed 6 April 2009

My husband and I have stayed here a couple of times when in Huntsville on business, the conference center is part of the University and looks out upon a small Japanese garden. The rooms are comfortable enough, but bare bones, don't expect luxury or extras. The morning breakfast is they type you would expect from a college cafeteria. We use this as our emergency back-up place if the other accomodations we book do not work out. This is a clean, safe, quiet place to stay, great if you are on a tight budget.
[--]

• Stayed: October 2006, travelled on business
1  Thank CelineSoCA
Reviewed 15 October 2007

I was a guest for 1 night at the Bevill Conference Center Hotel on Wed July 18, 2007 at a too low rate of $67/night. I am a businessman who travels a great deal, usually staying at Marriott/Hilton quality hotels, and have spent over 80 hotel nights traveling this year alone, and have NEVER had a complaint in my 20 years of travel. I used the Bevill as a last resort, because all other hotels in Huntsville were booked that night. Two days later, I received my room charge of $67, PLUS an additional credit card charge of $150 (and additional 225% of my room rate) from the Bevill, no phone call, no email explaining what this charge was. I never received an itemized bill or proof of what this is for. The manager accused me of leaving the room as a disaster with food everywhere, therefore the Bevill quickly concluded that it was indeed my room and that it was me, therefore are putting the blame (and cost) on me. I never took a single item of food into my room. She said it looked like there had been a party, and also admitted that the hotel never had a complaint from another guest about my room, and never saw me do anything wrong. Since they are at a college campus, it is much more likely that it was a different room occupied by a different guest, most likely college students. She said she would research it and call us back. She never called back. By September, the charges had not been removed, so I called the manager and she NEVER ONCE allowed me to state my complaint. She talked incessantly about how she “had pictures” and was unwilling to listen to me. Her story had changed from the first time. She never offered to disclose the pictures, which could be pictures of any room on any date, therefore she does not have proof that I did anything wrong, and does not have proof that the pictures are of my room on my night of stay. The pictures are irrelevant. I will NEVER stay at such a cheap hotel again, lesson learned. Substandard hotel, substandard customer service, and petty ($150) charges, but mostly, the rudest manager I have ever run across in my 20 years of business. It is not the money, it’s the ethics behind the practices at the Bevill Hotel.

Stayed: July 2007
7  Thank BusinessTraveler29
Reviewed 9 July 2007

My stay at UAH Bevill Conference Center was not very pleasing. Although I was warmly greeted by the front desk clerk, my room was not appeasing. The room was not cleaned properly and the furniture, as well as, the carpet was very old. The towels had stains. Some basic amenities were missing from the room.

When compared to other hotels in the area, UAH Bevill charges almost the same rates. The hotel and the service one receives are not worth the price paid. In addition, my room was not cleaned after being there for two (2) days. I eventually had to find another hotel and check out before my time. Not a good choice.

• Stayed: March 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3  Thank smoochpop
Reviewed 25 May 2007

This hotel is definitely dated but there are some interesting twists.
Pro:
My class was in this building so there was no transportation issue in getting to class on time.
Breakfast was put out every morning on time and in sufficient quantity to feed the amount of people staying at the hotel.
The buffet lunch is definitely good. Everyday at lunch time, they put out a spread that is a solid meal--meat, potatoes, veggie, salad, roll, drink and dessert for a set price. If you are staying at the hotel, you can raise your room rate by $2 per day and get a meal ticket for the week.
By staying at the hotel, you get a pass to the University of Alabama fitness center which is fantastic. I spent every evening over there working out.
The hotel has a van at night Sunday thru Thursday only that will take you anywhere you need to go.
The wireless internet signal was strong at any location.
The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.

Cons:
There are no stores nor eating places within walking distance unless you walk at least 3/4 of a mile.
The hotel is hard to find behind a big clump of bushes.
Because it was summer break, there were no facilities open after class time except the fitness center. The fitness center is 1/2 mile away from the hotel.
Trying to get a reservation was a hassle. I emailed like I was supposed to then I had to call to confirm.
The room was dated and dark with small windows and of course, the floral bedspread.

• Stayed: May 2007, travelled on business
    • Check-in / front desk