“Stone Cuts hike is a must-do!”

Monte Sano State Park
Ranked #6 of 79 things to do in Huntsville
Reviewed 7 June 2018

FYI $5/person for park admittance. A moderate 2.3 mile trail with some decent elevation changes and sometimes precarious footing due to the many rocks. Several trail changes to make the loop, but every intersection is very clearly marked - one of the best marked trails I’ve seen. Do not take the bypass, or you will miss the great journey through the split rocks and tunnels. This is a bike trail (hard to believe - respect to the bikers) so watch out for them. A biker told us they do time trials Thursday after 5:00, so probably best avoided at that time. Hike this one for the journey through the rocks; there are no overlooks or vista views on this hike. A good but not too difficult challenge for the average hiker.

Haley N, Public Relations Manager at Monte Sano State Park, responded to this reviewResponded 3 days ago

I'm so glad you enjoyed your visit! Thank you for noting the time trials. Please come back to see us soon!

All reviews
"visiting huntsville"
"von braun"
"space center"

Reviewed 28 May 2018

Great views of the North Alabama mountains. A lot of hiking trails. Rustic CCC built cabins and a impressive Lodge. Young man an gate seemed apologetic that he was charging a fee to enter.

1  Thank K-nine9

Reviewed 20 May 2018 via mobile

We decided last minute to try a Mother's Day Hike. We stopped by the camp office to get advice on a hike for 7 and 10 yr olds. She told us about a trail and 1/2 way through we started doubting, only to come across the most amazing adventure. Don't miss out!!!!

Reviewed 14 May 2018

I have been in the park several times for hiking and goofing in the past year. Then my wife gave me a small drone. I read the local and FAA laws and regulations then contacted the Park Manager.
I told him that I am a shutterbug with a new toy that will not use any pictures or video for commercial (for profit) purposes. Once we sat and talked for a bit he understood what I wanted to do and gave me instructions for each time I plan to fly and even some recommendations of where to see interesting things like the waterfalls.
We spoke some more and since we are both former Soldiers we found the practice side for this drone as well. We spoke about performing Search Operations for lost hikers and children. I have made three approved photo/drone trips there and enjoy it each time.
By making contact with the staff and following or establishing rules everyone can enjoy the park safely. I place my request in as instructed and physically check in at the office before flying. I then let anyone around me know what I am doing before take-off and avoid flying over other people.