“My new favorite Park in Huntsville”
Review of Big Spring Park

Big Spring Park
Ranked #7 of 69 things to do in Huntsville
Reviewed 22 February 2014

Our first visit to this park in the summer of 2013 was miserable, I couldn't leave quick enough due to the heat and humidity...I never gave it a chance. The next visit was more of a drive by while we were downtown to see the Nutcracker in the VBC. While passing, we saw the park lit up with countless Christmas trees. I wanted to stop and visit but everyone was cold, December in Huntsville can get chilly. With temperatures in the 60's and a clear blue sky today, we finally stopped by for more than a quick visit. Our 3 hour stay included 3 laps around the trail, an early outdoor dinner of pizza & wine, and ice cream from a corner Ice Cream Parlor. I could rave on and on about this park and I just may. We parked in the garage next door for $5 because all of the roadside parking meters were full today, it was worth it. The park itself is free and the adjacent Art Museum allows folks to use their bathrooms free too. The Big Spring lake or pond or whatever is stocked with hundreds of coy and I think I saw a few enormous white catfish. Topside you'll see a ton of ducks and even perhaps a few geese or swan. There are many a park bench for the weary several fountains to marvel as well. I recommend you go under the street bridge and follow the waterway to see it all, its impressive. Both of my dogs were so excited to see ducks they ran to the waters edge only to keep sliding into the water, absolute comedy. This ended up being one of the best days I've had in Huntsville thanks to a great park and phenomenal weather. The park is within walking distance of oh so much in Downtown Huntsville that no one has an excuse not to visit. I strongly endorse this place to all.

Reviewed 17 December 2013

This park in downtown is especially nice during December when the Christmas trees are on display for the public to view.

1  Thank S M
Reviewed 27 November 2013

Big Spring park during the summer have free Monday night "Concerts in the Park" series that start around 6:30 great to pack a picnic with family and friends and enjoy. For the internet junkie there is WiFi available (free) The park in April is home to "Panoply" arts festival and April is also a great time to see the Japanese Cherry trees in bloom. All in all a beautiful place to enjoy life.

1  Thank BMWHuntsville
Reviewed 12 November 2013

I love the park and I love the geese there. Most places you go to are 'over run' with humans and I like a place with other species to interact with and watch. Love it.

"Most people seldom encounter anything but lifeless, man-made things in their daily lives and have lost the capacity to understand living things or to interact with them. That loss helps explain why mankind as a whole exhibits such VANDALISM TOWARDS THE LIVING WORLD OF NATURE that surrounds us and makes our way of life possible. It is an important and worthy undertaking to try to restore the lost contact between human beings and the other living organisms of our planet."….. Konrad Lorenz, Nobel Prize winning Austrian zoologist, ethologist, and ornithologist

Reviewed 3 October 2013

This is a nice park, but has been completely overrun with Canada Geese and walking, sitting outdoors for a summer concert is generally not a pleasurable event for me. The park is host to concerts, Panoply and other yearly events. It could be so much better!